Looking for someone to re-terminate a cable
Aug 17, 2019 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

cpetrillo

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for someone to re-terminate my ALO SXC 8 mmcx 2.5mm balanced cable to 4.4mm balanced. If you know where I can send it to a professional job done please let me know.

Aug 21, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 13
Hi @cpetrillo,

I suggest an easier option is just to get a cable adapter, I suggest trying this one :

https://penon-official.com/product/penon-hifi-balanced-adapter-cable/

Choose the option :

2.5 mm Balanced Female to 4.4 mm Male

I have several of these adapters with different connections & terminations, they all work really well.

Feel free to ask more if you need.

Also, I would also suggest looking into soldering your own cables, not all that difficult, just takes a bit of time to get right.

Hope you have a great day !

Aug 21, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 13
Hi,
I have an adapter, I was just hoping to eliminate it and simplify things. You really wouldn't me anywhere near a soldering iron. I can do a lot of things, soldering is not one of them. ; )

Aug 21, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 13
Hi,
I have an adapter, I was just hoping to eliminate it and simplify things. You really wouldn't me anywhere near a soldering iron. I can do a lot of things, soldering is not one of them. ; )

That's fair, soldering does take lots of practice so it isn't for everyone.

Anyway, adapters are convenient & can't say re-terminating a cable is a simpler option personally though it all depends on personal preference.

As a final note, either a good electrician or any pro audio place would be your best option for getting your cable re-terminated from 2.5 to 4.4 if you really feel you need to go that route.

Though it would be helpful to provide the 4.4 plug as well as a wiring diagram as usually they wouldn't necessarily have said plug or idea how to rewire your cable without checking the diagram first just to be sure.

Hope you have a great day !

Aug 22, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 13
Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 13
I'm looking for someone to re-terminate my ALO SXC 8 mmcx 2.5mm balanced cable to 4.4mm balanced. If you know where I can send it to a professional job done please let me know.
Modding a high end cable is risky, if somehow it's not done carefully the cable end may remain direct contact with air and end up with oxidized green. better get a adapter or a new cable.

Aug 22, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 13
I agree with @PaganDL, using a good adadpter will be an easier solution. There are some very successful adapters on the market, for example like the one under the link below;

https://penon-official.com/product/penon-hifi-balanced-adapter-cable/
I have all of them and really very good adapter cables.

DSC_0022.JPG

Aug 22, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 13
I contacted ALO and they'll do it for $100. Thats more than I want to invest in the cable so I'm going to stick with the adapter. I have a Cayin adapter which is a short L shaped arrangement with no cable involved, if this is not a good adapter I will look into the ones you suggested, thanks.

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 13
Sep 9, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #13 of 13
I contacted ALO and they'll do it for $100. Thats more than I want to invest in the cable so I'm going to stick with the adapter. I have a Cayin adapter which is a short L shaped arrangement with no cable involved, if this is not a good adapter I will look into the ones you suggested, thanks.
Yeah, re-terminations are highly expensive directly from cable builders, specially the 4.4mm jacks. Unless your cable cost range is from $500 to flagships and your ears are too picky to minor sound alteration, it's pointless to re-terminate and adapters are really convenient options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back