Looking for some (very) low budget closed cans for work.
Apr 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cicatrize

New Head-Fier
Hello, head-fi! I've been a lurker here for years and never signed up, but have received some good advice from others' questions in the past. :)

I'm looking for some closed cans for listening at work. I'd like something around $25, but might be willing to go as high as $50 if it's really worth it. I need something that doesn't sound horrid and doesn't leak a lot, as it's a quiet work space. That's pretty much the only requirements.

At home, I use primarily DT880 pro 250ohm for mixing/mastering (along with monitors, of course) and some listening, DT770 pro 80ohm for pretty much everything else, and some old ATH-M40fs cans that get occasional use. I'm obviously not looking for anything of the caliber of the 770 or 880, but my current setup at work are some $4 Panny earbuds from Amazon. My initial thought would be to take the M40's to work, but I really just don't like them that much for music.

I know $25-50 is low, but I'm sure there are some cans that are passable in that price range. Any recommendations?

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 15
Well, a staple budget closed-back would be something like:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108323-Premium-Hi-Fi-Headphone/dp/B007SP2CO2/
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HTF600-S-Stereo-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B004MMEI8W

Or you could find some refurbished Sennheiser's... HD428/419's tend to hover below $30. Not sure how much they go by now.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 15

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108323-Premium-Hi-Fi-Headphone/dp/B007SP2CO2/
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HTF600-S-Stereo-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B004MMEI8W

Or you could find some refurbished Sennheiser's... HD428/419's tend to hover below $30. Not sure how much they go by now.

Thanks for the recommendations. I like the Monoprice and I'm surprised it has a detachable cable at that price range, but lots of reviews for discomfort. I'm intrigued by the Pannys, but might wish-list them and see if I can get something cheaper. The senns are both ok, but at that price I think I'd rather get the HTF600's based on the reviews.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 15

(links removed because I'm a noob)

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm intrigued by the pannys for sure. The monoprice ones are interesting in that they have a detachable cable at a $30 price point. I've looked into the senns as well and based on the reviews, I think I'd be better off with the HTF600s. Gonna add them to the wish list and see if I can get something cheaper.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 15

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm intrigued by the pannys for sure. The monoprice ones are interesting in that they have a detachable cable at a $30 price point. I've looked into the senns as well and based on the reviews, I think I'd be better off with the HTF600s. Gonna add them to the wish list and see if I can get something cheaper.

If you do buy the HTF600s, make sure to pick Amazon as the seller. Don't pay $45!

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 15
I have the HTF600 and HD419. HTF600 sounds better (or rather HD419 just has intentionally rolled-off highs)

the thing is though HTF600 isn't closed. It's semi-open and leaks a lot of sound. The Sennheiser is closed though.

Also with both completely stock the HD419 is more comfortable. However, the HD419 cable is really thin.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 15
  I have the HTF600 and HD419. HTF600 sounds better (or rather HD419 just has intentionally rolled-off highs)

the thing is though HTF600 isn't closed. It's semi-open and leaks a lot of sound. The Sennheiser is closed though.

Also with both completely stock the HD419 is more comfortable. However, the HD419 cable is really thin.

That sucks. My workplace is very quiet (I'm a software engineer), so I might have to pass on the HTF600.

Does the cable's thinness affect anything? Rubbing against stuff, etc?

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #10 of 15
I made a great find on some Philips headphones the other day you may be interested in. And they are they Philips SHL3100 DJ headphones. Being DJ headphones I expected them to have a very strong bass ans they do but the bass is fairly linear and no midbass hump that I can detect. Actually the midrange is where they shine which may be a little elevated over the bass response but not much. And the highend is very well represented but no stringency that I can detect. The shl3100 is $26.00 online at Amazon. This model also has two big brothers which are the SHL3200/SHL3300 which sell for $31.00 and $41.00 respectively. They all look to use the same 40mm mylar driver but claimed frequency response does go up depending on the model. The best the may be the build quality and comfort. The build is all plastic but it's fairly thick and does not seem to be flimsy, also these may be some of the most comfortable headphones I use with a firm top padded headband and the ear cushions are great, since these are an on ear model this is very important, other companies need to take lessons from Philips about these. Hope some of the information helped. Happy Listening.

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 15
Do you care if they are on-ear or over-ear? Philips Citiscape series are really good for their price.

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #15 of 15
Philips SHL3300 gets my vote. Best bang for buck for under $50 (in australia anyway)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back