Looking for some 'starter' audiophile headphones
Oct 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:
I just noticed the serie HD598, HD558 and HD518. All 3 seem really really high quality headphones.
I've been looking around to find the diffrence between them but don't really find any beside looks and little minor sound diffrences.

The sennheiser 518 would cost me 89 euro's, the HD598 150. Kinda leaning towards the 518s now.

they are no different on paper. 

EDIT: nevermind i was thinking of the 558/598.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #32 of 49
Quote:
I just noticed the serie HD598, HD558 and HD518. All 3 seem really really high quality headphones.
I've been looking around to find the diffrence between them but don't really find any beside looks and little minor sound diffrences.

The sennheiser 518 would cost me 89 euro's, the HD598 150. Kinda leaning towards the 518s now.

do yourself a favor, please look at Headfonia's comparison between all the HD5XX series. one of the most common mis-conception, and i wish people would stop recommanding fones based on this, is that there're a lot of modifications out there that will try to convince you that modding a HD5XX will turn it into a HD5XX. this is simply NOT true, and have been pointed out in countless reviews and A/B comparison. the sonic signature of each of these models are very different, even if they all share similar driver, but Sennheiser went into detail and did their homework and went as far as alternating the designs to improve the sonic signature. again, a modded HD5XX will NOT turn it into a higher model fone, it'll just simply be a modded HD5XX. 

having said that, if where you live a AD700 is priced the same as a HD598, definitely get a HD598. because it's just THAT much better. in your case, i would say the HD598 is underpriced over there, which is really good deal if you can get it for $150. i got mine for $199 and that was with a huge discounted coupon. 

comfort wise, again, having owned both. AD700 will make you think you're not wearing anything on your head (but if you have a very small head, that might be an issue), HD598 will be a very comfortable fit, but i wouldn't rate it right up there with AD700's comfort level. even that, i have no problem listening to music straight for 8 hours on my HD598. 

whether a fone is warm or bright is a very subjective point of view. everyone has a different standard for brightness. but in general, i think all can agree that HD598 is the brighter can of the HD5XX bunch, even brighter and livelier than HD650. but if you're coming from AKG K series, the Senns will definitely sound relatively warmer to you. but consider the Senns warm signature, HD598 is definitely on the brighter and more energetic side. 

and one last point, i highly recommand you try on a set of open vs closed cans. if you're still comparing M50 with the 598, sounds like you're still not sure on whether you want open or closed. in general i would suggest you narrow down Open VS Closed first, then go from there and find the models you like. since open cans and closed cans are very different animals. 

again, look at headfonia's HD5XXX review, it'll tell you all you need to know about all the 5 series. the 518 is on the low end spectrum of the 5 series delivering most of the low end but that's all. on the highest end of the 598 you'll gain enormous soundstage with solid bass and great mid. the choice is yours. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

do yourself a favor, please look at Headfonia's comparison between all the HD5XX series. one of the most common mis-conception, and i wish people would stop recommanding fones based on this, is that there're a lot of modifications out there that will try to convince you that modding a HD5XX will turn it into a HD5XX. this is simply NOT true, and have been pointed out in countless reviews and A/B comparison. the sonic signature of each of these models are very different, even if they all share similar driver, but Sennheiser went into detail and did their homework and went as far as alternating the designs to improve the sonic signature. again, a modded HD5XX will NOT turn it into a higher model fone, it'll just simply be a modded HD5XX. 

having said that, if where you live a AD700 is priced the same as a HD598, definitely get a HD598. because it's just THAT much better. in your case, i would say the HD598 is underpriced over there, which is really good deal if you can get it for $150. i got mine for $199 and that was with a huge discounted coupon. 

comfort wise, again, having owned both. AD700 will make you think you're not wearing anything on your head (but if you have a very small head, that might be an issue), HD598 will be a very comfortable fit, but i wouldn't rate it right up there with AD700's comfort level. even that, i have no problem listening to music straight for 8 hours on my HD598. 

whether a fone is warm or bright is a very subjective point of view. everyone has a different standard for brightness. but in general, i think all can agree that HD598 is the brighter can of the HD5XX bunch, even brighter and livelier than HD650. but if you're coming from AKG K series, the Senns will definitely sound relatively warmer to you. but consider the Senns warm signature, HD598 is definitely on the brighter and more energetic side. 

and one last point, i highly recommand you try on a set of open vs closed cans. if you're still comparing M50 with the 598, sounds like you're still not sure on whether you want open or closed. in general i would suggest you narrow down Open VS Closed first, then go from there and find the models you like. since open cans and closed cans are very different animals. 

again, look at headfonia's HD5XXX review, it'll tell you all you need to know about all the 5 series. the 518 is on the low end spectrum of the 5 series delivering most of the low end but that's all. on the highest end of the 598 you'll gain enormous soundstage with solid bass and great mid. the choice is yours. 

Thanks a lot for your comment.
Indeed, I just found out that people are spending around 300 dollar for the 598 which made me think the 150 euros (190 dollar or so) is a great deal.
I will let all the information get sink in and go to a store to actually try them out.

Right now still recovering from an ear surgery so I am not able to do so yet but I hope to do so later this week.

Thanks a lot everyone! I will keep you updated on which I've chosen in the end.
If anyone still has some suggestions/comments, let me know! Always interested in more opinions.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #35 of 49
this will help you. 
http://www.headfonia.com/old-and-new-hd555-hd558-hd598/

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #36 of 49
I agree with howzz1854 (and Malveaux).  If an HD598 is only slightly above the price of the M50 - it's a no-brainer.  Get the HD598 and don't look back.

If you ever get the chance to actually try on a pair of SRH840 though (ie if you find any in a store), give them a whirl.  If you're one of the many who do find them comfortable (like me), you're in for a sonic treat.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #37 of 49
the HD558 modded and the HD598....
the general misconception is that they are equal,well they are similar, but NOT equal
the modded HD558 is i would describe it as a cloudier version of the HD598, the latter sounds significantly more refined and polished, but in other aspects, soundstage,tonality is pretty much the same
the HD518 has the narrowest soundstage of the trio by a significant bit (but still quite wide by most standards) and is the bassiest of the 3. also the pads are the hardest of the 3 (but still pretty good since they're so large) with the HD558 softer and the HD598 the softest

i also don't personally call the HD598 as bright, that award of bright would have to go to the detail king (and bass wimp) SRH940

ok back to the generally famed M50, this headphone is more of the fun type while the senns are the more relaxing type. the M50 soundstage is absolutely awful. bass extention is better than the HD598 though by a little but the detail not as good and its sibliant too. smaller pleather pads and a tighter clamping force doesn't really equal comfort... 

if you can get a HD598 then go for it, if you are on a budget then the HD558 would be 1-2 steps down from there (i wish i waited longer and bought the HD598 though)

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #38 of 49
I don't really wana do any modding to the headphones. I want them to be solid at the point of buying. There's no use in buying half a product in my opinion. Looks like the HD598 will be it. :)

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:
I don't really wana do any modding to the headphones. I want them to be solid at the point of buying. There's no use in buying half a product in my opinion. Looks like the HD598 will be it. :)

the HD558 is not an incomplete product lol its just has more bass for less wide and surround-ish soundstage and less clarity, but then again yeah the HD598 is a good choice

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #40 of 49
Quote:
the HD558 is not an incomplete product lol its just has more bass for less wide and surround-ish soundstage and less clarity, but then again yeah the HD598 is a good choice

Ofcourse! I didn't mean to say that the HD558 was bad in any way. It's much much better than I currently own. Just meant to point out that I don't want to buy a product that I should mod to make it sound 1 step higher in the same set of headphones.

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #41 of 49
As far as i can tell if you want bang for buck stay away from Senn HD598... it is too expensive and I think price/performance ratio is not well matched.

suggestion: Creative Aurvana Live costs around 70$ ... see review on
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate
and
http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&category=275&page=5&document_srl=4446

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #42 of 49
And one more addition. You will find here some good reviews on AKG K series, It would be better to stay away from AKG K240 Studio/MK II. I own Studio version and I can tell it is most disappointing headphone I ever own, to give you idea what it sounds like check this thread. here is my impressions... and I still think it is the same S***t

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630058/akg-k240-studio-owners-please-share-your-experience#post_8753095

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #43 of 49
Quote:
As far as i can tell if you want bang for buck stay away from Senn HD598... it is too expensive and I think price/performance ratio is not well matched.

suggestion: Creative Aurvana Live costs around 70$ ... see review on
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate
and
http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&category=275&page=5&document_srl=4446

I also think 598's are a bit overrated (price wise) especially considering the high retail prices here in Finland. If you can get them $150 then its a whole different story. By the way, I talked to a local hifi salesman and he said that they almost dropped Sennheiser dealership because the internet prices were often very low and people just listened the phones in the store and ordered from internet. He said that Sennheiser is about to tighten the pricing rules in order to keep the representation in physical stores (don't know if this is really possible and true though). So again if you can get those for $150 you should definitely go for it since the offer probably won't last forever (but remember to test them first for the comfort and sound. I really can't stress this enough. My advice is to never buy this kind of personal product without testing).

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #44 of 49
Quote:
And one more addition. You will find here some good reviews on AKG K series, It would be better to stay away from AKG K240 Studio/MK II. I own Studio version and I can tell it is most disappointing headphone I ever own, to give you idea what it sounds like check this thread. here is my impressions... and I still think it is the same S***t

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630058/akg-k240-studio-owners-please-share-your-experience#post_8753095

I really love my K550's. Such a balanced open sound coming from closed phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back