Looking for some nice headphones (headset) for gaming + music
Dec 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SheaMolt

New Head-Fier
My headphones now are skull candy earbuds and I like them - the are perfect for college as they are extremely portable, however, I think my ears are asking for some better sounding audio )greater then $20 earbuds. I've heard Beats and I didn't think they sounded much better then my SC Titan's. I really like Bose headphones however I think I could get a better bang for the buck. I also play computer games so for Christmas I figured I would just get a decent gaming headset and hopefully it would have good sound. I got the Turtle Beach EarForce x12's and their sound quality is weird - when the volume is low they have absolutely no bass and they are also not very comfortable after an hour of wearing them.

I figured I would return the TB headset and get some actual headphones and a clip on mic for when I need it. I did some research here and other places and came down to the ATH-M50s with a Zalman Zm-Mic1 as a clip on microphone. This way,  I would not need to have the microphone always attached

Now to my question - will these headphones be able to support the 7.1 virtual sound for gaming? The x12's I have now will go up to 5.1 with a standard 3.5mm jack plugged in and onboard sound. Also, is there and different headphones+microphones/headsets out there that you guys can recommend?  I think my priority in these headphones is comfort> sound > headphones with separate mic > headset

I was also looking at the Plantronics GameCom 780's

Thanks

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 11
After spending the last two hours opening my eyes to the head-fi world, I must say, I'm in the need for direction.

I really want a nice pair of headphones for listening to music in the library somewhat loud without disturbing others. I listen to a wide variety of music, including dubstep/trance and then I also like getting lost into some John Mayer or Citizen Cope every now and again. I definitely want good bass though

I also want to be able to games with these headphones. They don't necessarily have to have the 7.1 virtual sound because I honestly don't think it helps me much in gameplay anyway. I'm not very good at FPS's and I don't think a headset will make me better (lol)

Comfort is a big must as some library days I'll be wearing them for 8+ hours at a time.

My price range is really anywhere around the 150. I want good headphones though, and don't want to be cheaping out on headphones and just want a nicer pair in a month.

Thanks!!!

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
After spending the last two hours opening my eyes to the head-fi world, I must say, I'm in the need for direction.

I really want a nice pair of headphones for listening to music in the library somewhat loud without disturbing others. I listen to a wide variety of music, including dubstep/trance and then I also like getting lost into some John Mayer or Citizen Cope every now and again. I definitely want good bass though

I also want to be able to games with these headphones. They don't necessarily have to have the 7.1 virtual sound because I honestly don't think it helps me much in gameplay anyway. I'm not very good at FPS's and I don't think a headset will make me better (lol)

Comfort is a big must as some library days I'll be wearing them for 8+ hours at a time.

My price range is really anywhere around the 150. I want good headphones though, and don't want to be cheaping out on headphones and just want a nicer pair in a month.

Thanks!!!

V-moda M80(refined basshead headphone)
M50(if around the $100 or less mark, not worth $150)
Shure SRH440 with SRH840 pads(since the SRH440 are better portables than the 840, but the stock pads are terrible)
Creative Aurvana Live
KRK KNS 6400/8400(works with every genre, though maybe not quite bassy enough for you?)

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 11
Not a big fan of how the v-moda and the creative looks.

Out of the M50, Shure SRH440's, and KRK KNS 6400 (or 8400), which would you say is the best sounding? Along with most comfortable?

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Not a big fan of how the v-moda and the creative looks.

Out of the M50, Shure SRH440's, and KRK KNS 6400 (or 8400), which would you say is the best deal? Along with most comfortable?

Comfort:
1. KNS 8400 (light, memory foam pads, very soft pleather)
2. KNS 6400 (no memory foam, cheapy pleather)/M50(nice pads, but kinda tight clamp, imo)
4. SRH840(too heavy, not great if you lean over your work)

Bass Quality:
1. SRH840
2. KNS 8400
3. M50
4. KNS 6400

Bass Quantity:
1. M50
2. SRH840
3. KNS 8400/6400

Mids:
1. SRH 840
2. KNS 8400
3. KNS 6400/M50

Highs:
1. KNS 8400
2. SRH840
3. KNS 6400
4. M50

Portability:
1. KNS 8400/6400
2. SRH840
3. M50 Straight cable
4. M50 Coiled cable

I'll add the Beyer Custom One Pro as a recommendation, $170. I haven't heard it, but it's been getting very positive reviews.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 11
So I'd say I'm pretty much set on the KNS 8400 then for the ~130$ price range. And by saying bass quanity, what exactly do you mean/how are is it different from the bass quality? Do you think they'll be a big upgrade from SkullCandy Titans?

Also, do you think the custom one pro's would be worth an extra 40 bucks?

Thanks for the input

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
So I'd say I'm pretty much set on the KNS 8400 then for the ~130$ price range. And by saying bass quanity, what exactly do you mean/how are is it different from the bass quality? Do you think they'll be a big upgrade from SkullCandy Titans?

Also, do you think the custom one pro's would be worth an extra 40 bucks?

Thanks for the input

Bass quantity is how much thump or rumble you get(mid bass and sub bass respectively). Basically how loud the bass is. Bass quality is how easily you can pick out details in the low end notes and if the bass is controlled(ie the low end doesn't mask the mid range, etc). Skullcandy is well known for bass quantity, but low bass quality.

The Custom One Pros have more bass than any of the above. If it's worth $40 to you, I dunno. Depends on how much you like bass. I suspect that changing from Skullcandy to the KNS will be a significant change for you. If at all possible, I would find a store that will let you try the KNS with your own music, should you find it lacking in the low end, the Custom One pro may be more to your taste. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Heya,

I would look into a Beyer Custom One Pro for your needs.

For the microphone, the AntLion ModMic would be good.

(And just to note, I am not surprised someone comes in a spams the typical "AD700!" post because the word "gaming" was used, yet didn't bother to note that the OP wants a headphone that can be used in a library and has bass. All of which the AD700 lacks. Ugh.)

Very best,

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 11
I did a lot a research and decided to go with the M50's...got em for $110. The KNS steered me away because it seemed reading the reviews that they wouldn't have as much bass as I'm hoping for - and also they seem like a decent all-around and good audiophile starter headphone.

I'll update in a few days and let you guys know how how I like them. If not, amazon has a good return policy
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back