looking for some new headphones
Mar 24, 2006 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

silentshadow

100+ Head-Fier
bear with me..never posted anywhere before.long time lurker and spent a few months reading posts on varius headphons and now i'm looking for at least 2.once for my stero( TEAC)where i usualy listen to or watch music vids,movies and mp3's and one for my zen touch.not looking to spend more than $80 per headphone.the type of music i listen to is all female and mostly pop,county,rock,a little r&b and some latin pop(gloria estefan)iem's and regulor headphoines are fine but please not earclips.
i was at compusa theother dayor two agao and i saw koss ur40 and i bellive a sennheiser 515 though I don;t quite remeber.they seemed like good phones but i'm not sure.whatever good headphone ther eis for my stero i'd lik ethe cord to be atleast oh i guess 6 feet or 8 feet at the longest(its on a high self on my bookcase)i thinks thats it so help me please.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 31
If you can the Senn 515s for that I think that might be the best all around solution. They'd be pretty good for movies.
As far as portables, I'm a Koss portapro fan. I have a set for me and one for my daughter. They're fairly cheap, portable, and they sound great.
If you could take the money you save by getting the portapros and put it towards a Senn 555 you'd be even better off.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
If you can the Senn 515s for that I think that might be the best all around solution. They'd be pretty good for movies.
As far as portables, I'm a Koss portapro fan. I have a set for me and one for my daughter. They're fairly cheap, portable, and they sound great.
If you could take the money you save by getting the portapros and put it towards a Senn 555 you'd be even better off.

Yeah, a Senn 555 would be ideal... can you stretch your wallet just a wee bit further?

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

the 515 or the 555's would be good and probably buyable...amazon has the 555's for $105 or so and the 515's for about $70..but the portapros to me look on the ugly side and kinda bulky..any other options besides the portapros??

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentshadow
the 515 or the 555's would be good and probably buyable...amazon has the 555's for $105 or so and the 515's for about $70..but the portapros to me look on the ugly side and kinda bulky..any other options besides the portapros??

Ah. The HD555 is a great choice. I personally think there is a relatively large difference between the HD555 over the HD515. (Well, as compared with the difference between many other headphones of the same series.)

As for your portable rig, the Koss KSC-75 and Sennheiser PX-100 are the headphones of choice. The KSC-75 is only $20 but sounds amazing. You can do a search on the forum; there will be a lot of results. The PX-100 ($50) sounds more balanced than the KSC-75; the trebles and mids are sweeter and the bass is not as muddy. A great choice. Both the KSC-75 and PX-100 are portable. The KSC-75 is a clipon and the PX-100 folds up like eyeglasses.

Regards,
Venio

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Definitely stretch for the 555s and even possibly the 595s, but that would open up a whole lot more possiblilities.
The portapros bulky? Are you sure you're looking at the right cans?
KSC-75s are okay. IMHO I don't see what all the fuss is about. I much prefer the portapros, but that's me.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Definitely stretch for the 555s and even possibly the 595s, but that would open up a whole lot more possiblilities.
The portapros bulky? Are you sure you're looking at the right cans?
KSC-75s are okay. IMHO I don't see what all the fuss is about. I much prefer the portapros, but that's me.

the portaPros are TINY. they look bulky in pictures with no reference but in reality its amazing how small they are.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Ah. The HD555 is a great choice. I personally think there is a relatively large difference between the HD555 over the HD515. (Well, as compared with the difference between many other headphones of the same series.)

As for your portable rig, the Koss KSC-75 and Sennheiser PX-100 are the headphones of choice. The KSC-75 is only $20 but sounds amazing. You can do a search on the forum; there will be a lot of results. The PX-100 ($50) sounds more balanced than the KSC-75; the trebles and mids are sweeter and the bass is not as muddy. A great choice. Both the KSC-75 and PX-100 are portable. The KSC-75 is a clipon and the PX-100 folds up like eyeglasses.

Regards,
Venio

I really don't want the ksc 75's since i don't really like things clipped to my ears.i had some older headphones that would sit on the top of my ears and hurt them..maybe something along the px100 would be good or something that completely covers my ears or an iem would work too.for the portapros whats the deal with that sliding switch thing on the side? whats it do??

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

I really don't want the ksc 75's since i don't really like things clipped to my ears.i had some older headphones that would sit on the top of my ears and hurt them..maybe something along the px100 would be good or something that completely covers my ears or an iem would work too.for the portapros whats the deal with that sliding switch thing on the side? whats it do??

the sliding switch on the side is a "comfort selector". Basically, there's 3 settings for different amounts of pressure on your ear: Firm, Medium, and Light. It's pretty convinient, I don't like things pressing onto my ears so I usually use the light setting. When its on the light or medium setting the temple pads rest against the head, and on the firm setting they don't. Pretty good design in my opinion.

Also, I've compared my portaPros to a friends PX100 and I prefer the portaPros, they have a more energetic sound.

edit, it's late and I can't spell.
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 31
skudmunky said:
the sliding switch on the side is a "comfort selector". Basically, there's 3 settings for different amounts of pressure on your ear: Firm, Medium, and Light. It's pretty convinient, I don't like things pressing onto my ears so I usually use the light setting. When its on the light or medium setting the temple pads rest against the head, and on the firm setting they don't. Pretty good design in my opinion.

a comfort selector huh? thats new never head of that.kidna cool..would have been nicer if the koss site said what it was(or maybe it did and i just missed it.so what about something from audio-technica or a decent/good iem? or since i mainly listen to female singers the hd555's and portapro's my only options??? I like having other options before i sink money into something.

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 31
I heard the HD201 last weekend and they sounded very good for the price. You can find these around $25 dollars US. They were several guys around the "Leatherhead" when this headphone came up in the discussion and they all were talking about how good these sounded for the price. You can find these near you at most locations of CircuitCity, Guitar Center, etc. If you don't like them just take them back for a refund. Can't loose in this test.

Check out this link: http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ap...ser-hd-201.php

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 31
I own the 515 and the 555, and I say definately skip the 515 if you can get the 555, its not that much more than the 515 and the difference in sound is noticable to my ears.

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 31
I just looked up the HD555 frequency curve against the HD580 and the HD600. Very nice comparison...at headphone.com. If you can swing it get the HD555. I am sure you would like them.

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
I just looked up the HD555 frequency curve against the HD580 and the HD600. Very nice comparison...at headphone.com. If you can swing it get the HD555. I am sure you would like them.

sounds like hd555 will be great for my stero..now what would anybody recomend for my zen touch mp3 player? but i'll buy it when i can find something for my player..though sounds like this is gonna be expensive...but oh well what can you expect fo rthings like this?

Mar 26, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 31
I listened to both the 515 and 555's and it was pretty short time but I couldnt really tell a big difference. Very well could have been the source but they did have good setup. If you look around on ebay you can get killer deals on both. I snagged some 515's brand new off ebay for less then half what they retail for. For music they are good "Not perfect" but for movies I think they are great.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back