Looking for some new headphones for $100-$200
Apr 26, 2015 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bcd127

Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking for some new headphones. I've had a pair of Shure SRH840's for a while and I love them, but they're getting a bit old and I kinda just want some new headphones to be honest. I really like how the SRH840's sound, the only thing I would add is a tiny bit more bass. So I'd like to have that in my new pair. Also, I'm gonna have to go with closed back headphones because of the noise level of my house, which honestly makes me sad D':. A removable cable would be nice, but if they don't have one, I'm not worried about it. I'd like to stick around $100-$200. Oh, and comfortable, something really comfortable. I wanna wear them for like 5 hours straight. Thanks for all the help in advance, let me know if I forgot something.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 8
It will probably help if you would add what will be feeding and driving these cans.

In the meantime you should check out the M50X.

You're staying in the same general price range as your 840's so that limits things, absent a closeout deal.

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 8
I've checked Consumer Reports and with your budget and requirement, two
stood out. Like KG Jag mentioned, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x:

WALL OF TEXT COMING UP!

------------------------------------
"This year Audio-Technica's classic ATH-M50 model--a popular choice for both home
and studio--gets a bit of a makeover, though retaining the large, oversized earcups that
many have come to know and like.
The new ATH-M50x, the flagship model in the
company's M series, is a bit more mobile friendly (thanks to detachable straight or coiled cables),
comes in some new color options, but still delivers the very good sound quality that's
helped earn it fans. In addition to the standard all-black and all-white color options,
there's also a new blue-hued limited edition with contrasting tan headband and earcups.

The headphones have a closed design, so they will both muffle some external noise and
limit the amount of sound escaping from the headphones when worn. As such, they are
best suited for those who want some isolation from outside noises, or don't want the sound
from the headphones to disturb others, and who are comfortable with the size of a home/studio
style model. The headphones come with three detachable cables (one coiled, two straight),
and feature ear cups that can swivel 90-degrees for single-ear monitoring.
Detailed test results
Although this home/studio-style over-ear model lacks active noise reduction, the closed
design helps to reduce both outside noise and sound leaking out into your environment.

The headphones have medium sensitivity so they can provide satisfying volume levels
when used with home audio equipment and all but the lowest-powered portable audio
devices.

This model has earcups that swivel and fold for ease of storage/transport and
for single-ear monitoring, and comes with a detachable 47-inch audio cable for use with
portable devices, a detachable 119-inch audio cable and detachable 62-to-107+-inch
coiled audio cable for home/studio use, a mini-plug-to-1/4-inch-plug adapter, and a storage
pouch.

Sound quality: We found the ATH-M50x delivers very good overall sound with a warmish
to neutral character. Bass has good impact and goes fairly deep, but lacks a bit of definition
and the lower bass is a bit prominent. Midrange is slightly recessed and a bit lean.
Treble is a bit sizzly, and upper treble is somewhat rolled off. Somewhat open sounding with decent dynamics.

Comfort: We found that these headphones produce a sense of moderate pressure around
the ears. The ear pads might feel hot and/or sticky after prolonged use."
----------------------------------------------------------
And the other being the Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviator:

"This model from Skullcandy, developed in collaboration with Jay-Z's Roc Nation music
and entertainment company, sports a stylish design with earcups that mirror the shape of
aviator-style sunglasses, hence the name. More importantly, this model delivers very good
sound quality.

As with most over-the-ear closed designs, these headphones will muffle
some external noises, as well as limit the amount of sound that escapes from the headphones.

As such, they're best suited for those who want some isolation from outside noises, or
who don't want the sound from the headphones to disturb others and are comfortable with
the size of a home/studio style headphone.
Detailed test results
Although these home/studio-style headphones lack active noise reduction, the closed design
helps to reduce both outside noise and sound leaking out into your environment. Thanks to
medium-high sensitivity, they can provide satisfying volume levels when used with home audio
equipment and even lower powered portable audio devices.

The Roc Nation Aviator has an inline volume control that works with iPads and some iPod
and iPhone models, plus an integrated microphone and player function controls that are
compatible with iPads, some iPods, and some iPhone, Blackberry, and Android smartphones.

The call connect/disconnect button can be used with some iPhone, Blackberry, and Android
smartphones. However, the headphones may not operate properly with some non-iPod players
or other audio equipment. This model comes with a carrying pouch.

Sound quality: We found the Roc Nation Aviator delivers very good overall sound, with a
slightly warm character. The pronounced, slightly tubby bass has good impact, but only
so-so definition. Midrange is a bit nasal. Treble is extended but a bit pronounced and sizzly.
Has decent dynamics, but is a bit closed-in sounding.

Comfort: We found that these headphones were generally comfortable, with some sense
of pressure around the ears. The vinyl ear pads might feel hot and/or sticky after prolonged use."

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 8
  It will probably help if you would add what will be feeding and driving these cans.

In the meantime you should check out the M50X.

You're staying in the same general price range as your 840's so that limits things, absent a closeout deal.

Yea, i dont really have anything to drive them. No amp or anythying like that. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 8
  Yea, I don't really have anything to drive them. No amp or anything like that. 

What sources do you currently plug your headphones into now?

Get a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier, plug your source into the E11K's line-input jack and your SRH840 into the E11K.
Turn on the E11K's bass boost.

Someone once recommended getting the Shure 940 ear pads (HPAEC940) for the SRH840 headphones.
Not sure how it effects the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back