Looking for some new headphones, 50-80 is my range
Oct 24, 2010 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

theman123

New Head-Fier
I really like the AKG's but are a little bit too expensive, but  Ido like the K99's and K77's.

What about those?  And do you have any other suggestions?

Also, are Skullcandy's and WeSC's that poor?  They look pretty good and aren't too expensive, but I hear nothing good about them.

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 10
It really depends on what music you like. For me, my favorite by far under $100 (and even $200) is the Koss Pro DJ 100.
They have some of the best vocals i've heard and are good for most everything except maybe metal, classical and rap.
They're not bass light, but some may be disappointed in the bass for some reason. I listened to some bass heavy electronic music yesterday and they're not bad at all for that type of music. I was expecting them to be much worse. The only problem with them is that they do have somewhat rolled off highs. They also need a lot of burn-in and sound best with a small amp.

K77 and K99 should also be good, but they probably have even less bass, but just as good mids.
Instead of those i'd look for an open boxed k240 Studio. I got mine for only $70. It's one of my favorite headphones. Anyone who liked the SRH-840, would probably like the k240.

It seemed to be better for more genres then my DJ100, but the vocals/mids are not as forward or clear. Slightly more distant, but not by much. The advantage of the k240 is that it has a better soundstage, but worse imaging. It also has more bass. It's also a bit easier to drive then the DJ100.

Maxell DHP-II sounds good as well. It's only $30, but is very fragile. The sound signature is very similar to the DJ100. DJ100 has better build quality and is even made out of metal!

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 10
I woudn't go for the Skullcandy's or WeSC's. The thing with them Skullcandy's and WeSC's is that you'll pay for the looks instead of just a headphone. In my opinion you listen to headphones to enjoy music not to make a fasion statement.
A short anecdote: the other day I saw someone with Jack and Jones headphones, I don't know if you know the brand but it's a pretty popular clothing brand in Holland. How desperate can you get? The guy actually thought he was cool or whatever and that he was into the hifi audio headphone thing, well I didn't asked him but you might know the type of person.
Well Skullcandy and WeSC aren't clothing brands so in that case it's all good but I hope you get the point. If the HD448 is not a cool headphone I'll make them look cool. Of course you aren't asking about all of this but I am trying to convince you that buying a decent looking headphone of a decent hifi brand is the way to go
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 10
Much love for the 448's.

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 10
Definitely fill us in on your music preferences/other uses, and what you intend to drive your headphones with (straight from a portable, through a stereo, etc).

Welcome to Head-Fi! I'm "new" here, too, but I've been lurking forever.

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 10
sennheiser HD 428. and just do the 448 mode in them.. sounds great. isolation is great, easy to pump. lows will do have a boost when you do the 448 mod. that is to leave 1 open, 1 closed, 1 mesh, in the air holes inside the headphones..  50 $ this is the best

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
sennheiser HD 428. and just do the 448 mode in them.. sounds great. isolation is great, easy to pump. lows will do have a boost when you do the 448 mod. that is to leave 1 open, 1 closed, 1 mesh, in the air holes inside the headphones..  50 $ this is the best

So you're basically saying sennheiser don't know about sound quality and you have to open your headphone and mod it? That sounds like a pretty bad idea to me and I think almost everyone will come to the conclusion that the mod didn't sound so good after al. You may like the mod but saying it sounds better than the original makes no sense. I am with the Sennheiser philosophy in this matter.

If you will use them for home listening only I would get a open headphone (grado s60i for instance) so you should tell us your preferences.

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:

If you will use them for home listening only I would get a open headphone (grado sr60i for instance) so you should tell us your preferences.

This.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back