Looking For Some New Cans
Feb 1, 2015 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Corcorac

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to find some new audiophile cans. I don't have a lot of requirements, but the ones I do have will be deal breakers. I'm looking for over-the ear, preferably closed back. Comfortable is helpful considering I'm always listening to music at class and at home. (Well and in the car but that's speakers, haha.) I'd like to find something with the highest Ohms rating you guys would recommend with a MacBook Pro (15" 2014 Late Model) or a Fiio DAC I may pick up. Price-Range is somewhere around $150-250 not really any more if it can be helped. Lower is better obviously haha. I'm really just looking for very good sound. Doesn't need to be tweaked sound because I have EQ software for that. (It's paid, and it's very good In my mind haha.) Music I listen to is AAC's or better (FLAC and ALAC). Thanks guys :)

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 14
As for sound signature, flat would be good in the sense that I have my own eq software. The larger the soundstage the better. I'm really looking for the best sound I can get for the dollar. Good sound, clarity, bass (not too heavy), large soundstage, comfortable, not too heavy but yet sturdy, etc. I'll be sure to check those out! Thanks for the suggestions.

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 14
  As for sound signature, flat would be good in the sense that I have my own eq software. The larger the soundstage the better. I'm really looking for the best sound I can get for the dollar. Good sound, clarity, bass (not too heavy), large soundstage, comfortable, not too heavy but yet sturdy, etc. I'll be sure to check those out! Thanks for the suggestions.

Yup! In that case I'd definitely recommend the KNS 6400, they're as flat as a headphone can get at that price range (they're designed for critical audio mixing). The bass might not be enough for you, but since you said you don't like heavy, they'll be perfect I think. For me personally I found it extremely accurate (and it made me more sensitive to the bass and quality of it :D). And it's said to have a very, very large soundstage for a closed back headphone.

The other great thing about it is that it's upgradeable / serviceable. I just "upgraded" mine with the memory foam earpads of its bigger brother (KNS8400, although apparently the 6400 sounds better), and swapped the headband with the DT770/880/990 headband. The comfort is PHENOMENAL. 

Goodluck :)

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 14
Yeah, I'll agree the bass in the M50x's is there, but I'm not as concerned with that considering I have a 64ch EQ for my Mac (that can up-convert from the Mac's 96kHz to 192kHz). I just want a great pair of headphones that can cover a large soundstage to give me that good music feel haha xD I'm going to go with the KNS 6400's soon I think :)

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 14
I thought the 6400s were pretty meh, particularly in comparison to my M50s (which I had at the time). OK for a $100 headphone. With a $150 to $250 budget, I think you can do much better.

For a large soundstage in a closed can, look into the AKG K550.

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 14
I thought the 6400s were pretty meh, particularly in comparison to my M50s (which I had at the time). OK for a $100 headphone. With a $150 to $250 budget, I think you can do much better.

For a large soundstage in a closed can, look into the AKG K550.

I'd listen to this ^^^ guy :) I haven't tried as many headphones! But compared to most cans, the 6400s are pretty different (designed more for studio monitoring / mixing) so they're going to be accurate on an almost clinical level, so the biggest thing you might notice is the "lack" of bass compared to most. But if you're always going to have your EQ with you it will respond really well to that! Goodluck!

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 14
To both of you guys, thank you for the input! I'm looking into the 550's to see what I can find out about them. I see a 551slv? Is that any better than the 550's? (For literally 3 bucks more on amazon haha.) I think if I were to do the m50x's I wouldn't be unhappy with them, I do like the audio-technica brand. (I've also heard them in person multiple times and they perform well for my taste. I still think I could beat them though.) Cel4145, any input on the 550's vs the 551SLV's vs the ATH M50x's? (well either of you guys haha).

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 14
I believe AKG K551 is the same as AKG K550, only with mic and phone controls, but not sure. There's probably a discussion thread around on Head-Fi for them if you google "AKG K551 head-fi" :)

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 14
That's what I thought, it looked to be that way, and then youtube confirmed it. Do you know anything about the Master Dynamic MH40's (Yes yes, way above my price-range, but I may just save up some more haha)

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #14 of 14
Haha, it would appear it is. I think listening to the sound out of the DT 880 Pro's (well Premium? the 32 ohms, unless I can feasibly run the 250's from my Mac, could always get a cheaper amp at some point) they sound very good, I know they aren't closed back but the sound reproduction in them is very good, if only even a little bit brighter than the source. I haven't been able to hear the MH40's and I still need to read a lot into them. Opinions from you guys? (I know I could look at reviews and I have been, but it's good to get more opinions rather than less)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back