Looking for some new cans, preferably under $100
Jun 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

linvillegorge

New Head-Fier
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I currently have a pair of Philips O'Neill The Stretch cans that I picked up with a Best Buy gift card I had.  They've been solid, but the stretch band keeps popping off and I'm going to bump them to snowboarding only so if I trash them I don't care.

Looking for something else for other uses across all spectrums - all types of music, movies, etc.  I listen to a lot of hip hop, rock, some electronic, but a good deal of old school country, etc. as well.  I do like a bass heavy sound.  I don't want the bass to overwhelm everything else, but I do like bass heavy.  

Some that I'm considering:

Sony XB500
Panasonic HTF600

A couple of budget stretchers:
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Ultrasone HFI-580

Specifically regarding the last two, any other models in those two lines that may fit better in my budget and still work?

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 21
Do yourself a favor, and stretch your budget and get the M50's. However, the Numark Red Waves are a good set of bass heavy headphones. The bass doesn't overwhelm all the music, it is just a lot more prominent than in most headphones. Good place to start.

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I currently have a pair of Philips O'Neill The Stretch cans that I picked up with a Best Buy gift card I had.  They've been solid, but the stretch band keeps popping off and I'm going to bump them to snowboarding only so if I trash them I don't care.

Looking for something else for other uses across all spectrums - all types of music, movies, etc.  I listen to a lot of hip hop, rock, some electronic, but a good deal of old school country, etc. as well.  I do like a bass heavy sound.  I don't want the bass to overwhelm everything else, but I do like bass heavy.  

Some that I'm considering:

Sony XB500
Panasonic HTF600

A couple of budget stretchers:
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Ultrasone HFI-580

Specifically regarding the last two, any other models in those two lines that may fit better in my budget and still work?

Audio-Technica ATH-WS55

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 21
I Second Audio-Technica ATH-WS55 too...

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 21
ATH-WS55 is out.  I want around the ear, not on the ear.

Another contender has entered the fray.  M-Audio Q40.

I'm pretty much between:
ATH-M50
Ultrasone HFI-580
M-Audio Q40

I've decided to stretch my budget a bit to get something I know I'll be happy with long-term.  I'm leading toward the Ultrasone and M-Audio as I do like a bass heavy presentation.  I don't think the XB500 would suit me based on reviews.  I'm not willing to give up THAT much on the mids and highs for bass.  

The way I take it is this:

ATH-M50 is probably the most well-rounded of the cans I'm looking at.
Ultrasone HFI-580 may have better bass than the M50s, but they aren't as well rounded.
M-Audio's have the bass, are pretty well rounded, but are probably the least portable of my options.

I'm legitimately torn here, guys.  Leaning heavily toward 580s and Q40s right now due to bass, but I'm not sure whether I prefer the portability of the 580s or the more well rounded presentation of the Q40s.

If I was ranking in terms of appearance, I'd probably go:  M50, 580, Q40 in that order, though I'd be fine with any of them in terms of appearance as long as the Q40s are HUUUUUUGE.

In terms of price, I'll be going through Amazon, so all three are in the $120-125 range.  Price is virtually the same.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 21
What say the board in terms of comfort?  I have plenty of 4+ hour flights, so that could be the tie breaker for me.

In addition to music across the spectrum, there will be plenty of movie watching too.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 21
I haven't tried that particular Senn, but every Senn I've ever listened to sounded flat and boring to me.  They didn't sound bad, their signature just didn't do much for me.

I've pretty much committed to bumping my budget a bit at this point to get one of the 3 cans I mentioned in my last post.  

My concerns about the three:

M50:  Will they have the bass kick I'm looking for?
HFI-580:  Will they have the all around sound I'm looking for when listening to rock and other non-hiphop genres?
Q40:  Are they just too damn big and bulky to use on the go?

It looks like my chances of seeing and trying them out in person here in CO is slim to none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back