Looking for some neutral/mid-centric headphones
Oct 7, 2021 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nachash

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, My favorite pair of headphones are the DT150 which I'm rocking for 5+ years

I'm looking for an upgrade, something with the same neutral/mid centric sound but more detailed and refined.

I've bought the DT1770PRO... and I didn't liked them

I'm located in Europe, so something accessible here. Around 500€

Edit. forgot to say, here's what I already have

Alessandro MS1i
AKG K701
Beyerdinamic DT990PRO 250Ω
Sennheiser HD598
AKG K518DJ
Beyerdinamic DT150 250Ω
Bosshifi/Kinden B8
LyxPro HAS-30
Hifiman HE400i

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 8
Sennheiser HD580/600/650. HD580 is only available used, quite cheap and similar sound to HD600. A little plainer compared to the more modern versions. HD600 is more refined and elegant sounding. HD650 a little more bass and slightly less treble as well as fuller sounding. All have great midrange. Need amplifiers at 300Ω. HD580 hardest to drive.

Oct 8, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 8
^Outside of the power requirements, I totally agree. In fact I found it a little odd that the OP didn’t own any of these Sennies considering the thread title:)
I’ll add a few more:
ATH-R70X (like the 600/650 but with better bass extension)
Sundara (the closest you’re ever going to get to neutral by way of planar magnetic)

Oct 8, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 8
In fact I found it a little odd that the OP didn’t own any of these Sennies considering the thread title:)
The OP does have quite an intriguing set of headphones. I wonder how much ones collection says about the person. The Hifiman Sundara seems very popular these days. Don't know how much of a change that would be from the HE400i.

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 8
I feel that headphones often say something about the individual’s tuning preferences…and that’s about it. I get way more out of grokking folks’ book or music collection:)
The Sundara is a step up from just about any Hifiman, regardless of pricetag, if you are looking for neutrality. It is without a doubt the most realistic sounding planar magnetic on the market…and does not come with the otherwise classic laidback upper midrange.
1633691357672.jpeg

Oct 8, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 8
I agree with what the others have mentioned above, HD600 or Sundara would both fit the bill nicely.

Oct 8, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 8
I feel that headphones often say something about the individual’s tuning preferences…and that’s about it. I get way more out of grokking folks’ book or music collection:)
The Sundara is a step up from just about any Hifiman, regardless of pricetag, if you are looking for neutrality. It is without a doubt the most realistic sounding planar magnetic on the market…and does not come with the otherwise classic laidback upper midrange.
How does it compare to the HE400I? Because I didn't liked them at all (and the build quality is kinda trashy)

Also, thanks everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back