Looking for some more help from you headphone guru's
Jul 12, 2002 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Freddy

Head-Fier
Well, I'm back again looking for some headphone help.

Ok, as some of you may know, I've been trying out the Grado SR-80's for a little while now, and I've pretty much decided they aren't for me. I think they are too bright and forward for my tastes. I believe what I'm looking for is something that isn't as fatiguing and has more of a bass punch. I will be listening to all kinds of music types, but mainly hip hop and some pop music. These headphones will used in many different situations, including on the computer for gaming and mp3 playback, as well as on the go with my portable player. I plan on using them with an amp (yet to be purchased), so as far as I know, efficiency will not be a real issue. Closed vs. open doesn't really matter too much either, but I'd like something that doesn't leak as much as the Grado's. Originally I was hoping to spend under $100, but now I think I would be willing to spend a little more.

I've been reading good stuff about a few closed phones, namely the Sony MDR7506/V6 and the Beyerdynamic 250, 770, and 990. The Sennheiser 580's were suggested to me by a guy from Headroom, but some say they don't have much for bass. I've also heard the Denon series mentioned. Do you think I'm on the right track?

Thanks guys!

Jul 12, 2002 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 11
Beyer 250 fits your need.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Jul 12, 2002 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 11
If you can spend over your $100 limit, I would suggest that you bite the bullet and just buy the Sennheiser 580's, as Headroom suggested. They have plenty of bass, and sound great with popular music as well as classical. I am listening to Michael Jackson's "Invincible" right now and the bass is almost thundering.

The other phones you mention, and that were suggested, are good cans, but I just don't like closed phones in general. The 580's will, in all likelyhood, satisfy you provided you have an amp to power them. They will provide a baseline (no pun intended) from which to judge and discuss other headphones you may consider in the future, and may just save you money in the long run.

Jul 12, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 11
I didn't think senns were good for hip hop? The beryer 770's sound like they are pretty sweet as well, I haven't heard them before though and there are 250ohm and 600ohm versions.

Biggie.

Jul 12, 2002 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 11
HI: The senn. 580s have great bass and everthing else if you have a good source and a decent amp. But for under 50.00 the koss portapros or koss 35 would really surprise you with there sound and are very portable and easy to drive and with a portable amp they are hard to beat. You can spend lots of money if you want to but the koss sound like you did spend lots of money when you have not. You can do a search on them. I find that you dont have to but all the expensive cans to get great sound. Good luck.
PS
I have the 580s and a supreme amp and a good source but use my portable rig. A mini disc the total airhead and the portapro or the 35s most of the time and am very happy with the sound and the cost was not that much and can take them anywhere.

Jul 12, 2002 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Freddy
Well, I'm back again looking for some headphone help.

Ok, as some of you may know, I've been trying out the Grado SR-80's for a little while now, and I've pretty much decided they aren't for me. I think they are too bright and forward for my tastes. I believe what I'm looking for is something that isn't as fatiguing and has more of a bass punch. I will be listening to all kinds of music types, but mainly hip hop and some pop music. These headphones will used in many different situations, including on the computer for gaming and mp3 playback, as well as on the go with my portable player. I plan on using them with an amp (yet to be purchased), so as far as I know, efficiency will not be a real issue. Closed vs. open doesn't really matter too much either, but I'd like something that doesn't leak as much as the Grado's. Originally I was hoping to spend under $100, but now I think I would be willing to spend a little more.

I've been reading good stuff about a few closed phones, namely the Sony MDR7506/V6 and the Beyerdynamic 250, 770, and 990. The Sennheiser 580's were suggested to me by a guy from Headroom, but some say they don't have much for bass. I've also heard the Denon series mentioned. Do you think I'm on the right track?

Thanks guys!

HI Freddy,

Avoid the Denon cans, they stink and are way overpriced, imho. The Sony V6's look like their up your alley though. For gaming, hip hop and their very durable. The only thing you may not like about them is that if those mp3's your listening to were terribly encoded, you'll be able to hear every fault with them. Also, the Sony's are a bit bright...far more foward sounding then the cans you listed. The Sennheiser 580's are great for listening to hours on end, although, make sure you have a good soundcard on your PC.

Jul 13, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 11
hmm...looks like I'll have some auditioning to do soon. In a couple of weeks I'll be going to Minneapolis, so hopefully I can find an audio store to try some headphones.

gloco: the reasons you mentioned are why I think the Sony's may not be for me....the fact that they are "forward" and "bright" and that they would reveal the flaws on the source makes me think twice about them.

LTUCCI1924: I also looked into the Koss's, but since my current headphones are Koss (KTX pro's), I was afraid they'd sound similar. And I was hoping to move to something a little higher quality....but then again I've never heard the porta pros or 35's...

jpelg: I hear (most) everyone saying the Senns are laid back and meant for classic music, so I was surprised when they were suggested. Maybe I'll have to give them a listen. Oh, and what amp would be needed to get these to their full potential? Since I'm on a budget and I want a portable amp, I've been looking at a Porta Corda or something from JMT.

Jul 13, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 11
I dont think that you would like the V6, it is a bit bright... if you need good bass, the Beyer 250-80 would seem to be a very good choice, or the 580 senns. but if you want a bit cheaper, the Koss series: KSC-50,55,35, portapro are excellent headphones. you wont be disapointed AT ALL with them! i have some ksc-50 i bought for $15 at circuit city, and they amaze me... i really think that you should get the koss first, and then if you want more... later you can get the 580 or whatever... the koss have great bass too.

Jul 13, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 11
Maybe I'll try the Koss. Is there large difference soundwise between the porta pros and the 35's? Also, would both benefit from an amp?

Thanks

Jul 13, 2002 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 11
Freddy
HI: the koss ksc-35 or portapros are the only koss cans that I would buy from koss. I would not buy any other koss can but those. As for the 580s I have found that for me the 580s need a good amp starting with the supreme amp and then they need a good source like my cd deck hooked up to my stereo and amp tape out to my supreme amp then I get max sound out of the 580s. I dont get max sound with the 580s with my supreme amp and a cd played or mini disc because of the low out put of these devices. When I use a mini disc at 5 m/w or cd player at 8 m/w my supreme amp dont have enough sinanal to work with. I get sound from them but far from max sound. The 580s are amazing cans with the right hook up. Some members are happy with the 580s and a portable amp and a cd player or mini disc but I am not I whent though a lot to get the 580s to sound really great like supreme amp hooked up to my stereo systen with my cd deck as source and then 4 ics at 200.00 then the equniox replacement cable for 185.00 for me to get the 580s to my likeing. The senn. 590s are easer to drive but I have not heard them. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back