Looking for some help splicing a TRRS with Klipsch x20i earbuds
Jul 9, 2020 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Eyekonz

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.

So my Klipsch x20i of 3 years has finally and completely fallen apart at the same time my Pioneer Xdp 300r 3.5mm port shattered. Luckily, the Pioneer comes with a balanced 2.5mm port that im gonna start using. My plan is to splice a balanced TRRS Mmcx cable I got off Amazon with the remaining Klipsch x20i earbuds. Basically cutting off the Mmcx connectors and hardwiring it directly to the earbuds. I would have just bought a detachable cable that works with these specific headphones, but Klipsch, after stating that they would sell an aftermarket cable and to this day has failed to do so, uses "Smmcx" connections that Noooobody makes anything for.

My problem is this. After doing my normal sizing and cutting, I realized none of the wires are color coded. I have no clue what is what. It's to my understanding that after the Y Split, for each side, there should be 1 ground wire, 1 positive R/L, 1 negative R/L (That I can just roll together with the ground wire, I think) , and a mic or whatever "sleeve" is, that I can just cut off if need be. Coming out of the Klipsch side is the standard ground and green/red wire.

I had it working somewhat earlier today in the "balance" port, and it sounded great, but the OCD in me wouldn't let me just go about my day with wires I wasn't sure about being connected all willy-nilly. Couldn't shake the feeling that I did a subpar job (which I did).

I was hoping one of you experts out there could give me some suggestions as to how to identify these unknown wires so I can solder them appropriately. With a multimeter, perhaps?

Thank You in advance. And sorry for the long post. I've been inhaling solder fumes all day in a 120F garage in AZ and my head hurts.

Edit: Here's the cable I purchased, for reference https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S6SRZ69/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DVWbFbAXT9JVA

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 3
Multimeter would be your best bet.

You would test for continuity to left and right for both positive and negative connections.

If MMCX based, the center pins will be the positive wires.

Once identified, then solder the appropriate wires to the correct spot on your trrs plug.

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 3
Multimeter would be your best bet.

You would test for continuity to left and right for both positive and negative connections.

If MMCX based, the center pins will be the positive wires.

Once identified, then solder the appropriate wires to the correct spot on your trrs plug.

Thank you so much for the response. That's exactly what I did right before I read your reply. Took me awhile, but I ended up learning quite a bit. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back