Looking for some heavy blues.
Apr 28, 2002 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

M.Sensation

Head-Fier
With a rock influence. Think Led Zeppelin "Since I've Been Loving You" or a slightly less heavy example, Blind Melon "Soup".

Any suggestions?

Apr 28, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 20
white stripes' white blood cells.

Apr 29, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 20
Johnny Winter -- sounds like he's exactly what you're looking for
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 20
Try John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Derek and the Dominoes, or Yardbirds for blues based rock.

Jun 7, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Johnny Winter -- sounds like he's exactly what you're looking for
biggrin.gif

Seconded! Also Muddy Waters "Hard Again" (Jonny Winter on slide).

Almost anything by John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. Also "Electric Flag" (Mike Bloomfield/Buddy Miles).

Also old stuff: Ten Years After (alvin roth).

Jun 8, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 20
I love "Since I've Been Loving You"! It is one of my favorite Zep songs. I'm VERY MUCH into heavy blues and here are some of my recommendations. These cd's are in no particular order because I consider them ALL outstanding:

Bill Perry - "Love Scars" & "Greycourt Lightning"
Badlands - "Badlands"
Scott Henderson - "Dog Party" & "Tore Down House"
Tab Benoit - "Nice And Warm"
David Gilmour - "David Gilmour"
Atomic Playboys - "Atomic Playboys"
Raging Honkies - "We Are The Best Band" & "Boner"
Doyle Bramhall II - "Welcome"
Chris Duarte - "Blood Sugar Strat Magik" & "Tailspin Headwhack"
Black Cat Bone - "Truth"
Gary Moore - "Corridors Of Power" & "Victims Of The Future"
Carl Verheyen - "Slang Justice" & "Slingshot" & "Atlas Overload"
Eric Gales - "That's What I Am"
Stuart Smith - "Heaven And Earth"
The Kinsey Report - "Edge Of The City"

Descriptions of most if not all of these cd's can be found at wxw.allmusic.com. I would give you all a blow by blow of each cd, but then this post would be VERY long. Suffice it say ALL of these selections feature blistering guitar work and excellent songwriting. I listen to ALL of these selections on a regular basis.

Regards

P.S. - I second ALL of the recommendations made in the prior posts as well.
smily_headphones1.gif
-->
tongue.gif
-->
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 20
Wow... Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. I've actually picked up a number of cd's based upon these suggestions.

White Stripes wasn't exactly what I was looking for but I enjoyed it quite a bit anyways. I especially love the upbeat happy go lucky Hotel Yorba.

I picked up one Johnny Winters CD (Nothin but the blues or sth like that) and found it a little too traditional. Not heavy enough. Is there another album from him that I should consider?

Gov't Mule I really dug. So much so that i've now gotten 4 cd's by them. Their New Years concert album (Live, with a little help from my friends) was great, especially the 2nd disc. That second half was almost exactly what I was yearning for.

I already had a small Yardbirds box set and really liked it. Interesting to see how Clapton has evolved as a guitarist and performer.

Everything else recommended is still in consideration. I only have so much $$ to spend on CD's. Cherokee, what out of your list would you recommend for a bass lover? I play a little bass and love bands with great bassists (Rush, Primus, RHCP, Prince, etc...). I love hearing heavy bass riffs in songs. Any of those fit the bill?

THanks again all!

Jun 8, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 20
Edited... Oops. double posted somehow 23 minutes apart.

Jun 8, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 20
M.Sensation,

I'm sure that Black Cat Bone would be the band that fits the bill.
Unfortunately they are no longer a band, but I've seen the cd around in cut-out bins...

Here is something about the band that I found on the net:

Black Cat Bone
Formed originally in the mid-late eighties by David Angstrom and Jon McGee, Black Cat Bone was a power trio with Angstrom on guitar and vocals, McGee on drums, and Mark Hendricks on bass. Before Hendricks joined, the band (then called Skinny Bones) went through several bass players (Tom Baker, David Barrick, and Mark Fitzpatrick). They wrote, preformed, and recorded several originals before developing a unique sound and style and Mark Hendricks was the secret ingredient. By 1989-90 the band had gained much regional notoriety and eventually landed a recording contract with Chameleon/Electra in 1991. One CD, “Truth”, was released in 1992. After some success with their debut release which included airtime on MTV as well as national radio airplay, the band went back into the studio to record a second album, “Real”, with the amazing Chris Goss (Masters of Reality) as the producer. Recorded at the famous Sound City Studios in California (Nirvana, Dio, Fleetwood Mac), the album was all the buzz and it seemed as if Black Cat Bone was well on their way. Unfortunately, due to personal struggles and some difficult business matters, Black Cat Bone officially disbanded in early 1993. The second album was never released. Several recordings of the band as well as some home movie video footage exist. After years of having “gone their separate ways”, the three members of Black Cat Bone still keep in close contact and even get together occasionally for a reunion show at a local venue.

The singer guitarist went on to form a band called Supafuzz. They are also excellent and they have a website as well (hxxp://www.supafuzz.net/website/).
The other two members of Black Cat Bone went on to form a band called The Taildraggers (hxxp://taildraggerrocks.com/td_web_2001/default.htm). I have not heard them yet, but they sound like something both you and I would dig.

I'll look around to see if there is any place on the net that has the Black Cat Bone cd. If you or I absolutely have no luck finding it maybe we could arrange something...

Regards

Jun 8, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 20
Just a quick search on the web and I found several places that have the Black Cat Bone cd:

gemm.com - $4.00
lastunicorn.com - $6.99
mind4metal.com
metalmayhem.com
heavyrock.com

Regards

Jun 20, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 20
try a group named "humble pie"- old stuff but
worth trying...kind of blues-rock, but not as heavy as led zep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back