Looking for some good IEM's
Nov 1, 2008 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

naes41091

New Head-Fier
I've been doing a lot of research on the kind of IEM I want to buy, and have gotten a couple of results. I travel a good bit, ride busses, planes, trains and even automobiles
icon10.gif
. The first good pair of headphones I bought were the shure se110 for about $70 on sale at best buy. Unfortunately, my sister tore them up with a washing machine after she borrowed them for the day.

I listen to a large combination of things. I have a lot of metal (Silent Civilian, killswitch engage), alternative, pop (tlking heads type stuff), heavy rock stuff (hinder, clutch), classic rock (gnr, ac/dc), a some rap / hip hop (Aesop Rock).

I've got a $100 budget about. I'd like to not go crazy. The ones that I've been looking at the most are going for around $75 on amazon or NewEgg.

The most promising pair so far have been the Ety er6i's. They seem like a good match for me. Other than that, I was looking at another pair of shure se110's.

Any recommendations would be HUGELY appreciated
biggrin.gif
I pride myself on having perfect listening pitch and perfect beat, so im looking for the best sound quality I can get for my budget. Next step, an amp!

Thanks again!

CHEERS!
beerchug.gif

Edits: spelling and grammar

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Ive owned the Er6i it is great but with couple of issues, Microphonics very much there until you loop the cable over your ear (which is clumsy to do), and also you need to take time to insert them into your ear.

Everytime when i insert them, i use the tri flange tip, i have to lift my ear up, open my mouth :p recommended way and insert, and then i dont even get the perfect sound until i adjust them abit, because somehow the Tri Flange would hide many of the trebels.

The IEM has alot of detail, and Bass notes usually take 2nd fiddle once alot of other music is playing. But i found with the Tri Flange the bass is adequet.

Sound isolation wise its awesome with music playing on the train etc pretty much cant hear anything else.

Nov 2, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive owned the Er6i it is great but with couple of issues, Microphonics very much there until you loop the cable over your ear (which is clumsy to do), and also you need to take time to insert them into your ear.

Everytime when i insert them, i use the tri flange tip, i have to lift my ear up, open my mouth :p recommended way and insert, and then i dont even get the perfect sound until i adjust them abit, because somehow the Tri Flange would hide many of the trebels.

The IEM has alot of detail, and Bass notes usually take 2nd fiddle once alot of other music is playing. But i found with the Tri Flange the bass is adequet.

Sound isolation wise its awesome with music playing on the train etc pretty much cant hear anything else.

Sounds good to me, thanks for the response!

Since I used to have the shure se110's, I'm used to the insertion jazz. My ears are finally used to it. I know what you're saying about adjusting them for proper sound though, it took a couple seconds of fidgeting to get my old ones working right.

The whole microphonics being bad without looping isn't a problem I think. I much prefer to have them over my ears because of the security. I have always had trouble with phones staying in my ears (even some IEM's), so any added 'structural integrity' is great.
etysmile.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 7
The adjustments is only required on the triple flange, and i had to insert them pretty deep into my ear to get that extra awesome sweet bass detail.

When i use the Large Double Flange Tip, i can insert in, no adjustments required, and it would give me plenty more Trebel but bass suffers a little (that made me wanted to buy a large can hehe, one can to last forever :p hehe well until it breaks)

Also to note the ER6i has mandatory filters that must be there to make the sound smoother and keep ear wax out. I dont particularly found the need to replace them (not reusable) but if the sound you found are bit not right :p then you need to replace them or try to clean them first. The flanges can turn into yellow colour so you need to wash those as well..

My E2c of previous that was such a low maintance, i didnt even need to use the ear wax filter at all. Nor do i have to clean the tips, but they do itch a little, they broke twice on the cable tip of my ear.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 7
Do you reckon the ER6is will have enough bass for you? Some of your rock music and certainly your hiphop would appreciate heavier bass than the Etys will provide. Perhaps you should pair them with a Fiio E3?

Suggestion: Denon AH-C751 for ~$100 on Amazon. Half-price! Check out the massive 751 thread.

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Either C751, or the ER 6i and then if you feel like you want more bass (personally I find it adequate with foam eartips and almost excessive with a small bass +1 on my sony's EQ), get the FiiO E3 - either one would be significantly better than the SE110. However, if you want a deeper fit with good isolation, the denons are pretty much out - the ER 6i is next to unbeatable in isolation and fits very deeply and hasn't a chance of falling out. You could always just buy one and then buy the other later
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back