Looking for some bass headgear
Jul 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

hzjoy

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at spending maybe $400 (give or take a bit) on everything (sound card, headphones, amp) I just need a few questions answered from some more experienced people.

I'll be using my headphones for listening to music ( dupstep / d&b / metal / etc ) - while I game - a lot. I usually have game sounds really low.

I want some headphones that can deliver some very nice bass.

Also, I'm looking at getting a ASUS Xonar Essence STX or ST.. not sure which really. But would I need an amp with this card also? And if yeah, which amp should I be looking at.

This is the first time I've looked at upgrading my PC sound, I've got 2 AQ 12's in my car, but I've injured my foot so I'm stuck in front of the PC for a while.

Thanks for any help!

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 33
Alright so after a bit of reading, I'm thinking about the following setup.

V-Moda CrossFade LP2
Fiio E10
ASUS Essence STX

Would this setup provide me with what I'm looking for? Which is very good bass with a PC thru headphones?

Does the E10 come in another form besides USB? Wouldnt I be bypassing the Essence STX if I use a USB E10?

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:
Alright so after a bit of reading, I'm thinking about the following setup.

V-Moda CrossFade LP2
Fiio E10
ASUS Essence STX

Would this setup provide me with what I'm looking for? Which is very good bass with a PC thru headphones?

Does the E10 come in another form besides USB? Wouldnt I be bypassing the Essence STX if I use a USB E10?

I am not commenting on the setup but E10 is only USB in.
http://fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=37&MenuID=020301

You can ask people that have the LP2 if it works well with the E10 or STX. The STX and E10 are popular enough that some member probably has it.

Hold on...you do not need both, it owuld be wasteful. The LP2's don't seem to need much power so that is good. Spending a bit more on the headphone may be better..but most popular headphones past $200 start to get amp needy and "studio like" Ultrasone is a popular can at this price range.

If you get the STX, you do not need the E10....unless you have some crazy purpose of travel with a laptop for needing it.

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 33
you can also try v-moda crossfade LP if you want bass (with good looks), and spend the rest on a DAC/soundcard, and an amp.

btw, do you want upgraded headgear as well? i have some with better stats and more armor

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:
you can also try v-moda crossfade LP if you want bass (with good looks), and spend the rest on a DAC/soundcard, and an amp.

btw, do you want upgraded headgear as well? i have some with better stats and more armor

Well, I'll be going with a Essence STX for the DAC/amp... or maybe an E17? Not sure, but almost certain on the Essence STX, Ive read it will be fine to drive headphones.

What other headgear would you suggest Dyaems?

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 33
y dun u go for the pro900...move up from the 780

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 33
As someone who's owned both the hfi 780 and pro 900, I'd definitely recommend going for the pro 900 if you're willing to spare the extra money.  I've listened to both after being extensively burned in.  The bass on the hfi-780 seems underwhelming after hearing the 900s.  After burn in the 780s seem slightly mid centric.  I still enjoy the headphone but I wouldn't necessarily agree with the "basshead" label many people give it.  I do highly recommend the 900s, they would be perfect for everything you described.  If that is out of your price range you might want to look into the hfi-580.  I've never actually listened but people claim that they are bassier than the 780s.

As far as an amp, I would also suggest looking into the cmoy bb.  I used that for a while before upgrading, and I enjoyed it a lot.  I would recommend purchasing it from jdslabs on ebay, and asking them to tune it for whichever headphone you decide to get.  The bass boost sounded kind of bloated in retrospect (now that I have a much better amp), but it was definitely a lot of fun.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #13 of 33
Think I'm going to go with the 900.

Would a Essence STX be ok for this or would a E11/E17 be better?

Also would the 900's use the 7.1 from the essence?

I looked at cmoy bb but it looks like you have to build it yourself? I'm not looking to do all that right now.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:
Think I'm going to go with the 900.

Would a Essence STX be ok for this or would a E11/E17 be better?

Also would the 900's use the 7.1 from the essence?

I looked at cmoy bb but it looks like you have to build it yourself? I'm not looking to do all that right now.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/3975#post_8530289

It seems the E17 and E11 do have enough power for Pro 900

Not sure how the E17 fares against the STX though

If you plug the pro 900 in..you will only be AND SHOULD ONLY use stereo. Use it's surround sound for playing games but no 7.1 whatever.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #15 of 33
I think u should consider the V-MODA M80 and also the new M-100 ( there will be a wait here)...they are good too.

+1 for Ultrasones...anytime...but check comfort on them, some people report that they find it uncomfortable.

D2000 is an all in one package for everything u need...

DT770 will be another good choice

I will go forward and also recommend you the Darth Beyer DT 770...super excellent - gr8 looking and apparently much improved then the DT 770 !

My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back