Looking for some advice~
Aug 8, 2011 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MatHero

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I'm Matt and I'm new here.

I have about $160, and I'm looking for my first pair of decent headphones. 

I plan to use them for listening to music/movies and also plugging into my guitar amp, and gaming.
Music I enjoy is all classic-rock, and stuff from the Beatles and Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Can anyone spare a minute and recommend me a few pairs!

Thanks~

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 9
Are you looking for multiple pairs?

You could probably get away with a Grado SR60i ($80), Koss Portapro ($30), and some sort of IEM with the remaining $50.

If you just want one, the AKG K240 is great for classic rock imo. Soundstage isn't great though. The Audio Technica AD700/A700 would be good for gaming, but aren't my cup of tea for any type or rock.

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 9
Heya,

All you need is a pair of Grados essentially.

You could go for a Grado SR125, but I would suggest you save up a wee bit more and get the Grado SR225i. It's $200 new. So you could get a promo deal from HeadFi perhaps and get one for closer to $170 from Headphones.com (one of headfi's sponsors)?

Very best,

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Grado's for gaming? i think you better buy a pair for music and another for gaming. IMO. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 9
AT-M50s and SRH-440s are a few good choices, depending on your sound signature.

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Sorry for the n00by question, but what is a sound signature? :)

Heya,

Headphones have different sounds to them. That's why there are so many.

A sound signature tends to be something you find in a line of headphones or a specific headphones. For example, a Grado tends to be forward on the highs and mids, instead of neutral or recessed. Some like this aggressive bright sound, some find it too hard to listen to. These signatures help us to figure out what people might like. For example if you like bassy stuff, there's headphones out there for that. If you like more forward mids/highs, there's headphones for that. Finding a headphone that does it all is very difficult, and usually very expensive and even then doesn't quite do everything perfectly. That's the nature of the game.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back