Looking for small speakers for laptop use.
Jun 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jeffmd

Head-Fier
I have a laptop on my bed that I use a lot to web browse and watch movies on while relaxing. I used to have a pair of old sony bookshelf speakers to boost the sound quality but the internal connections went bad and I decided I would try and find a new set rather then fix them, so here I am. I am willing to spend a fair bit of money, but it needs to have a small foot print as to not clutter up the bed as much as the laptop all ready does. AC powered is fine, my last ones were amped and I imagine it will be required. I am not looking for loudness, I am looking for quality for music playback as well as movies. if there is a speaker set that creatively inti grates a sub for better low frequencies then even better. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 10
Any reason you want speakers specifically? Have you given headphones a thought?

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 10
Headphones (and  earbuds) can get uncomfortable, they are fine for portable music listening but when at home I would rather avoid it. 

I actually also tried wireless streaming solutions to my reciever using programs like airplay, but the wifi delay just dosn't work out in movies. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 10
Well, headphones (especially circumaural) are pretty comfortable for long hours of use. And the open ones are meant for home/studio use, you cannot use them outside because they leak sound. 
The thing though, is this. You can spend money on speakers, but in the sub $500 range, chances are headphones are better in terms of sound quality. But thats my opinion.
Whats your budget btw?

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 10
I already have some quality head phones, it isn't what I want. I am looking for a small set of speakers that are ideal, if not marketed twards laptop use in a limited space environment. Was hoping to find something a couple steps above the horrid sounding portable speakers you find at the likes of best buy and target. I can spend a little over $100 on em. 

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 10
You can take a look at the m-audio av30, ~$150, but its an active monitor.

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 10
Mmm... these look nice. It actually starts at 100.. with the a40's at $150. Its hard to get a true to life sound test but the a40's on HD youtube reviews seem to show a definite improvement on the a40's to make it worth the extra cash. 

I was def looking for something abit smaller.. but.. I won't count these out. They look bad ass. 

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 10
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BEHRINGER-MS16-POWERED-MONITOR-SPEAKERS-PAIR-/300671418577?pt=AU_Hi_Fi_Speakers&hash=item460169c0d1 Behringer MS16. Behringer are excellent value for money and in your budget. these are small and should be definately be loud enough. :)

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Good Luck!
You can also take a look at Audioengine, maybe they'll fit in your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back