1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

looking for Sennheiser IE8 custom cables

Next

Last
  1. smallcaps
    Did a quick search in the forum but didn't turn up with much except the occasional musings in the IE8 appreciation thread...

Was wondering if anyone has found, made, tried, even pondered about custom cables for the IE8s? I admire many of the forum members here and their wealth of knowledge, experience and ingenuity but am curious why no one has tried. if anyone i can imagine doing it, it would be some of the members of this forum [​IMG]

I am no electrical engineer or audiologist but I imagine that cable connectors could be salvaged from a spare pare of factory IE8 cables. I am very interested in investing in a pair of IE8s and extra cables, but would like to know how if there are any more "hacks" for this particular set of IEMs that people know of... or even if it is an advisable mod in the first place!

would love to hear some opinions. thanks [​IMG]

2. Edward Ng
    I e-mailed Null Audio as well as another company yesterday for info on possible upcoming IE8 cable upgrades and so far have received a response from Null Audio:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wang Kaiwen of Null Audio
    Hi,

Yes we do have plans on IE8 cables, projected release date will be around June/July.

Price will be similar to its UE counterpart.

Best Regards,

Wang Kaiwen

Null Audio Studio
    sales@null-audio.net
    Null Audio Studio

-Ed

3. smallcaps
    good to hear and thanks for your post, Edward. if they are anything like the UE counterparts then i will definitely be watching Null Audio!

4. abitdeef
    Can I be stupid, and ask what real-world sound benefits the new cable would provide? Or is it just for greater durability? I mean I read a couple of testimonials that made them sound like the second coming. If it did improve the sound though, I might consider them.

5. qusp Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Did a quick search in the forum but didn't turn up with much except the occasional musings in the IE8 appreciation thread...

Was wondering if anyone has found, made, tried, even pondered about custom cables for the IE8s? I admire many of the forum members here and their wealth of knowledge, experience and ingenuity but am curious why no one has tried. if anyone i can imagine doing it, it would be some of the members of this forum [​IMG]

I am no electrical engineer or audiologist but I imagine that cable connectors could be salvaged from a spare pare of factory IE8 cables. I am very interested in investing in a pair of IE8s and extra cables, but would like to know how if there are any more "hacks" for this particular set of IEMs that people know of... or even if it is an advisable mod in the first place!

would love to hear some opinions. thanks [​IMG]

well possibly the reason there hasnt been so much talk about it is because the IE8 cable is really nice already. easy to do though. AFAIK it takes the standard sennheiser connectors, well the same gauge between the pins anyway, so could be pretty simply achieved with a touch of nouse. I was wondering about it myself and wanted someone to send me theirs to play LOL. I might end up buying some to see as they are quite cheap here in australia compared to the rest of the world. we can get them here for about $260AUD which is well under $200USD. I really have enough IEM's for now until I get my ES3X though, so probably wont take the plunge myself, although I was sooo close a little while ago.

6. smallcaps
    in all honesty for me it is mostly about durability and flexibility of the IE8's design. end-user replaceable parts means that yes, you can replace the cables with higher SQ ones (as some forum members swear by. just look at the HD600/HD650 users) but it also means you can replace the cables for specific uses, which add to the utility of the IE8s.

imagine switching from long, balanced cables at home to shorter, portable cables for outdoor use simply by plugging different cables in and out. for me, this option already makes them infinitely more useful. if sound quality improves because of them, then that's just gravy.

7. smallcaps
    Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I might end up buying some to see as they are quite cheap here in australia compared to the rest of the world. we can get them here for about $260AUD which is well under $200USD.

wow that is cheap! i am moving to singapore this summer so i might wait till then to get my pair. hopefully that price is consistent with the rest of the region... i hope i don't crack before then!

8. fyu
    Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    well possibly the reason there hasnt been so much talk about it is because the IE8 cable is really nice already. easy to do though. AFAIK it takes the standard sennheiser connectors, well the same gauge between the pins anyway, so could be pretty simply achieved with a touch of nouse. I was wondering about it myself and wanted someone to send me theirs to play LOL. I might end up buying some to see as they are quite cheap here in australia compared to the rest of the world. we can get them here for about $260AUD which is well under $200USD. I really have enough IEM's for now until I get my ES3X though, so probably wont take the plunge myself, although I was sooo close a little while ago.

woah. That is a good price. Any stores that ship overseas? (I know this is probably against the Senn reseller agreement, but just checking.)

9. Edward Ng
    I received my e-mail response from APS:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heli, from A Pure Sound
    Edward,

Alex does have it on his list of what IEM cables he is designing, but it isn't at the top of the list so I have no idea how long it will take him to design a cable for them.

Thanks,
    Heli

-Ed

10. ottoyu34
    Finally a thread like this one.

I know Null audio is making one.

but its great to hear the price and timeline. thanks

11. dunnowho
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    wow that is cheap! i am moving to singapore this summer so i might wait till then to get my pair. hopefully that price is consistent with the rest of the region... i hope i don't crack before then!

hey when will you be moving to singapore? heard that there's a promotion in April that the ie8s will cost less than 500 SGD, compared to normal 569 SGD. Does zurich sell any sony hybrid tips? if possible, could you get me a set? haha [​IMG]

12. smallcaps
    it sounds like its going to be a race between Null and APS for my money. once cables are announced i will go out and grab me a pair of IE8s on-the-double, but for the moment i think i will be happy with my Klipsch Custom 3s... until the crappy cables on those kink out... which is why i want the IE8s in the first place!

13. smallcaps
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    hey when will you be moving to singapore? heard that there's a promotion in April that the ie8s will cost less than 500 SGD, compared to normal 569 SGD. Does zurich sell any sony hybrid tips? if possible, could you get me a set? haha [​IMG]

haven't found any sony hybrid tips here in Zurich, but i am sure you can find them in Singapore leh! did you try Sim Lim Square?

14. dunnowho
    not yet, which shop would you recommend?

15. smallcaps
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    not yet, which shop would you recommend?

hum... haven't been there for a year or so, so i don't think i could safely recommend a vendor. i think going to Sim Lim is really like a half-day trip. there really is so much tech in there! i would recommend browsing the various shops and bargaining so you get the best price. they definitely do mark up prices but even with a bit of bargaining you can get anything there for a decent price.

i will move to singapore again this summer around july. if you still need a set of sony hybrid tips i would be happy to bring them over for you... if i can find them here in Zurich.

good luck!

Next

Last