Looking for reputable E-tailers that still sell the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Headphones?
Jul 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KarlAgathon

100+ Head-Fier
Regarding the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000. I have read some of the feedback these cans have received here. Most of which has been very positive. The thing is, not many online businesses seem to sell them anymore (that I am aware of anyway) As they seem to have been discontinued. I have seen a few on ebay (mostly from sellers outside USA) also eyeing them in the amazon markeplace. One seller there has them listed as new going for $489.99. The best price I have seen so far, and he's shipping from the states. I actually called the seller to inquire about them. I escpecially wanted to know about the warranty and such (like weather the registration card was in Japenese for example) he didnt know. I know there are people here who know a lot more about the headphone marketplace then I do. Maybe there are other places that sell them that I am not aware of? Any help would be greatly appeciated, thanks!

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 9
Pretty much any place on amazon is likely to be on the level.  I've never had any issues buying from amazon marketplace sellers.

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 9
I just got a pair of AD700's.  Are the AD2000's comparable, but better?  Different?

I'm still new to headphones in general, and while I like the AD700's, I'm wondering if maybe the AD2000's fix some of the issues I hear.

I think the AD700's are great sounding headphones, but the midrange is a little recessed, they could use a little more deep bass, and the imaging could be a little more involving.

??

Thanks !! 
smile_phones.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I just got a pair of AD700's.  Are the AD2000's comparable, but better?  Different?

I'm still new to headphones in general, and while I like the AD700's, I'm wondering if maybe the AD2000's fix some of the issues I hear.

I think the AD700's are great sounding headphones, but the midrange is a little recessed, they could use a little more deep bass, and the imaging could be a little more involving.

??

Thanks !! 
smile_phones.gif

The AD2000s are the most involving/musical can I've heard so far. The imaging, detail and soundstage are all great to me. The speed of these cans is simply incredible. Which makes the presentation almost effortless and quick. Bass is the best I've heard so far it's fast, punchy, deep, and very well defined. It's not as bassy as say the D2000 or (in)famous DT770/80s but the quality is outstanding. The mids are not recessed at all. Mids are lush and full and make the instruments sound life-like. Simply you feel the music instead of listen to it. I've drifted off into the music almost every time I've put them on. Highs are nice and controlled with no hint of sibilance or lack of treble. Honestly these cans come closest to perfection for me. I might be in danger of becoming a fanboy.

Of course these are just my opinions and I haven't heard the AD700 so take that for what it's worth. Check out Asr's review of them. I pretty much agree with what he has to say about them.

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 9
The AD2000 is not discontinued, it's just sold only within Japan. There are certain Web sites that export them to sell to other countries, including: AudioCubes, BlueTin, and PriceJapan. Usually PriceJapan is the cheapest.

Because the AD2K is sold only in Japan, you won't see anything on or in the box printed in English.
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 9
Musician's Friend or Woodwind & Brasswind carry the A-T line...I bought the AD2000 through them about three months ago. Just tell them to special order it. The beauty is they have a 45-day return policy.

Probably the best midrange I've yet heard. Just as NapalmK said: extremely involving, lush, full mids and defined punchy bass. I had to let them go because to my ears the 4k range was very recessed making them sound too dark. I was prepared to live with that but the 'phones were too uncomfortable to keep. They are definitely the coolest looking phones IMO.

My current phones: K701, D5000, mod'd Superlux HD-668B (used the most), D1001, Porta Pro, Denon AH-C751
Owned: ATH-AD2000, Koss ESP/950, HD600

Ordered on July 20: HiFiMAN HE-5 LE

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
I was prepared to live with that but the 'phones were too uncomfortable to keep.

Did you try the Phat pad mod?

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 9
The AD2000s are the most involving/musical can I've heard so far. The imaging, detail and soundstage are all great to me. The speed of these cans is simply incredible. Which makes the presentation almost effortless and quick. Bass is the best I've heard so far it's fast, punchy, deep, and very well defined. It's not as bassy as say the D2000 or (in)famous DT770/80s but the quality is outstanding. The mids are not recessed at all. Mids are lush and full and make the instruments sound life-like. Simply you feel the music instead of listen to it. I've drifted off into the music almost every time I've put them on. Highs are nice and controlled with no hint of sibilance or lack of treble. Honestly these cans come closest to perfection for me. I might be in danger of becoming a fanboy.

Of course these are just my opinions and I haven't heard the AD700 so take that for what it's worth. Check out Asr's review of them. I pretty much agree with what he has to say about them.

Thanks !! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back