Looking for replacement for PM-3? What sounds similar?
Feb 26, 2019 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

toby23

New Head-Fier
I have owned a set of Oppo PM-3 headphones for a few years and pair them with an Oppo HA-2 DAC for listening to Spotify Premium and gaming on my PC.

I am sensitive to clamping, for example, the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's make me dizzy because of the clamping and recently, I have begun to have problems with the clamping of the PM-3's as well.

While I really enjoy the sound of the PM-3's, the 'leather' on the earcups and headband has peeled off and Oppo want £150 to replace just the headband. Instead of repairing the headband, I would like to get a different set of headphones to replace the PM-3's.

Q. Which headphones can you recommend from personal experience that are comfortable for large heads and that sound similar to the PM-3's and are below £400?

Thank you..

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 18
The AQ Nighthawk Carbons are extremely comfortable. I've heard that the Nighowl (closed) are also very comfortable. I can't say they sound a lot like the PM3s - I like them better.

Feb 27, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 18
I found the Audeze Mobius to be a more naturally tuned version of the PM-3. If you don't want a headset, going with one of Audeze's other headphones might work out for you, if they're all tuned similarly...

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 18
I found the Audeze Mobius to be a more naturally tuned version of the PM-3. If you don't want a headset, going with one of Audeze's other headphones might work out for you, if they're all tuned similarly...
Yes, the Audeze Sine might work too but that might not be very comfortable.

I think you would like the HD600 or HD650/6XX. Similar mid-focused signature.

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 18

I'm interested why you wouldn't recommend the HD660? (currently £385 on Amazon). I haven't been able to try the HD series but did have them on my shortlist as I enjoy watching movies with my Sennheiser RS165's.

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 18
I'm interested why you wouldn't recommend the HD660? (currently £385 on Amazon). I haven't been able to try the HD series but did have them on my shortlist as I enjoy watching movies with my Sennheiser RS165's.
Sorry, the HD660 I’ve read is very good as well, I just don’t know as much about it as the other two. All three are recommended, they’re all great headphones. But for the HD6XX at $200 on Massdrop, that’s one of the greatest values.

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 18
Yes, the Audeze Sine might work too but that might not be very comfortable.

Yeah, I’d definitely look at the HD6XX, HD58X, or the HD660. The clamping pressure is pretty strong when the headphones are brand new, but it’s easy to alleviate the pressure at the top of the headband where the cushion has a break by pressing the curve out.

Feb 27, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 18
Yeah, I’d definitely look at the HD6XX, HD58X, or the HD660. The clamping pressure is pretty strong when the headphones are brand new, but it’s easy to alleviate the pressure at the top of the headband where the cushion has a break by pressing the curve out.
Yes. That’s what I did too. Took a long time for the clamp to loosen up for me. But now that they have they’ve very comfortable.

Feb 28, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 18
So... After an evening with the HD600 and HD660S's... My ears have chosen the HD600's.

I enjoy a natural and neutral sound with clarity and instrument definition and the HD600's deliver on all these fronts.
The HD660S, by comparison, was muffled and dampened, almost like being played from under a blanket compared to the HD600.

I have only tested with tracks that I know very well and from a variety of genres, pop, classic, folk, rock and trip hop using Spotify Premium, Tidal Premium and Qobuz HiFi.
I compared both headphones with the Oppo PM-3 and was surprised to hear more detail and clearer definition and separation with the HD600.

I cannot believe how good the HD600's sound (to my ears and with my set up) but I am very glad that I have found them.

I think the best surprise is that I often forget that I have headphones on and think that I have left the speakers on as the sound is so convincing and clear.

Thanks again for your advice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back