Looking for recommendations on headphones.
Feb 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

YouJelly

New Head-Fier
I just recently bought the HD 598s and I was not happy with them at all, they're comfortable and look nice but I can't enjoy the sound especially for the 230 dollars I paid.

Are there any other recommendations you guys can give me for less that 250 USD? I use my headphones mainly for PC gaming and movies. I don't listen to music to often but when I do its normally rap and rock.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
I just recently bought the HD 598s and I was not happy with them at all, they're comfortable and look nice but I can't enjoy the sound especially for the 230 dollars I paid.

Are there any other recommendations you guys can give me for less that 250 USD? I use my headphones mainly for PC gaming and movies. I don't listen to music to often but when I do its normally rap and rock.

Does your computer use an add-on sound card (which one?) or built in audio?

When I bought my Senn HD558 it took at least 20 hours of break in time for them to sound their best.
Try leaving the HD598s plugged in over night (a few times). put the headphones under something to block the noise.
I personally like to used Metal music at a higher then normal volume level to break in headphones.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Heya,

What you're missing is the lower frequencies. The HD598 doesn't really give you a lot of fat bottom.

Look into:

Sony MA900
Ultrasone HFI 2400
AudioTechnica A900X
Beyer DT770 PRO

Very best,

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Does your computer use an add-on sound card (which one?) or built in audio?

When I bought my Senn HD558 it took at least 20 hours of break in time for them to sound their best.
Try leaving the HD598s plugged in over night (a few times). put the headphones under something to block the noise.
I personally like to used Metal music at a higher then normal volume level to break in headphones.

I have a claro halo sound card I got for free.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 9
I would say to burn in the HD598 for a few nights (like three nights at least), if the HD598s to do not improve to your liking, then return them for something else.

You did disable the motherboard's on-board audio (in the bios)? when you installed the Halo sound card.

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I would say to burn in the HD598 for a few nights (like three nights at least), if the HD598s to do improve to your liking, then return them for something else.

You did disable the motherboard's on-board audio (in the bios)? when you installed the Halo.

I have let them burn in for about one week, I have owned them for two. The halo is properly installed. Are there any recommendations you can make? 

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Okay, I think I'm going to return them and buy new ones. I saw that you recommended the DT 770, wouldn't the 990 be better though? Its only around 20 dollars more for the Pro version. 

Depends if you want closed back or open back. If you want more sound stage, go DT990 PRO. If you want isolation/privacy, go DT770 PRO.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back