Looking for Recommendations for Over-Ear Wireless Gaming Headset for PS3/PC/Xbox360
Sep 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ShadowDemon

New Head-Fier
I am looking for some recommendations for a good set of over-ear wireless headsets for my PS3/Xbox360/PC. I have a ATH-50's that I absolutely love, but they are not wireless and I need something with a microphone for gaming. I tend to play long hours so, so battery life is important. Obviously if I am looking for advice here on head-fi, sound quality is important also. 

I have been reading some reviews like turtle beach px5's not working well if you have wireless internet, which I do, and astro a50's just stop working and apparently there support is non-existent. All of this has me worried so I am hoping for some high quality advice.

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 7
Does your setup have to be wireless?

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 7
Wireless is not a good idea.
Maybe do a removable cable mod on you ATH-M50s and get a Vmoda mic cable.

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 7
I think my issue, and why I want wireless, is my ps3 is 8-9 feet away from my couch. That would mean running a heck of a lot of cable along the wall around the room or going directly across the room causing a tripping/breaking hazard.

I also rather have a self contained device rather than 2 devices. It would be just complicate things to have to trouble shoot two items when something isn't working right. Also I don't know how many inputs the ps3/xbox has.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 7
I think my issue, and why I want wireless, is my ps3 is 8-9 feet away from my couch. That would mean running a heck of a lot of cable along the wall around the room or going directly across the room causing a tripping/breaking hazard.

I also rather have a self contained device rather than 2 devices. It would be just complicate things to have to trouble shoot two items when something isn't working right. Also I don't know how many inputs the PS3/xBox has.

With the gaming consoles, I would guess you would be using a Astro Mix-Amp.
The cost of running two long cables along the walls is going to be way cheaper then whatever wireless setup you might get.
You would run a optical and USB cable from the console, along the walls and keep the Astro right next to you.
So far it's the best idea i have.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Okay, I trust you guys. With wired being an option, what headsets specifically would you recommend? A40's?

Headphone depends on your budget, but most of the time a quality stereo headphone (with add-on mic) is recommended over any "gaming" headset.

Sennheiser HD558s, $131.26, with any clip on mic you like.
Sennheiser PC360, $170, I believe it uses the same driver as the HD518/HD558/HD598, but comes with an integrated mic.
(So it's like a quality stereo headphone masquerading as a gaming headset).

Audio Technica ATH-TAD500, $100, heard good things said about this headphone, but has to be shipped from Japan.

Samson SR-850, $50, budget choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back