Looking for recommendations for a portable, closed-back headphone to use with IPhone & No Amp
May 6, 2015 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dhutt

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I tried searching through the threads to get some recommendations, however I wasn't able to find anything up to date with exactly the same specifications that I have.  I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-650s that I absolutely love for listening to vinyl, however I haven't yet found any good headphones to listen to on my iPhone without an amp.  I basically am looking for something portable, over-the-ear, closed back in the $300-500 range.  I will be listening to it mostly on the train to and from work, and while at the office, so an amp/dac isn't really an option for me.  I need it to leak minimally because I hate having to listen to my music on low volume so my coworkers can't hear it.  I listen to mostly hip-hop, r&b, house so I prefer a strong low end, however I also listen to jazz, rock, blues, reggae, etc. at times as well, so I'm not just seeking bass.  It doesn't need to be completely neutral, as long as it sounds good.  

Thanks for your help.

May 6, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 10
Beyer T51p?

It sounds good as is, but even better with an amp :wink:

May 6, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 10
I'm definitely not married to the HD-650 signature, and actually id prefer a different sound signature since I already have the 650s. Something hopefully that has more bass in general, or that captures sub-bass would be nice.

May 6, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 10
You will like the T51p!

May 6, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the recommendation CGJ, they look like an interesting option. My only hesitation is they look like on-ear headphones, and I initially was shying away from those types because I figured they would create more sound leakage. I work in an open floor space so being able to listen past 50% would be nice without my boss hearing everything I listen to.

May 6, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 10
They don't leak. They have replaced my trusty HD25s as in-flight headphones.

May 6, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 10
I tried the on-ears (first generation), and found that they sounded veiled with significant bass boom. The news ones are supposed to be much better, though.

I haven't heard the over-ears.

May 7, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 10
Go try

Yamaha MT220's great detail, nice sub base and lovely comfort and isolation, I've just sold a pair. Fantastic straight off my iPhone to the point of too loud. 

Sound Magic HP100's also very comfy, generally neutral but with good bass detail. I've a set on order... The yammies were almost too easily driven and very slightly bass heavy.  

I love the open sound of my (semi open) AKG Q701's which despite supposedly being bass light sound wonderful but need to be amplified off an iPhone, the Sound magic are less easily driven than the Yamaha but retain a slightly more open sound. still closed back for isolation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back