Looking for powerful COMBO Dac/Amp.
Feb 13, 2020 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

inseconds99

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for a combo dac/amp that clean dac with a lot of amp power. Would like to stay 1k or under but have listed more expensive combos below. Looking for recommendations on what I have listed or different recommendations.

Using for music and gaming, would like the dac to pass through multiple sources simultaneously. With my current SB X7 I can hear sounds from my Xbox using optical and my USB from pc at the same time. Not sure if any items listed and/or another recommendation can do this. This is a very important feature

Looking at:
Monoprice THX Monolith
Topping DX7 Pro
RME ADI-2 Dac FS
RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 15
Feb 14, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 15
Get the RME for a good combo and don’t look back. If you ever want a tube amp, you can always later pick up a ZDT jr and just connect it to RME and use RME as the DAC

Feb 14, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 15
Get the RME for a good combo and don’t look back. If you ever want a tube amp, you can always later pick up a ZDT jr and just connect it to RME and use RME as the DAC

Which RME? The FSR BE apparently has another upgrade that might make it near perfect. Nearly 1k more then I want to spend though.

Feb 14, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 15
Another big vote for the RME. Such an awesome dac and the built in amp is also good.

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 15
Using for music and gaming, would like the dac to pass through multiple sources simultaneously. With my current SB X7 I can hear sounds from my Xbox using optical and my USB from pc at the same time. Not sure if any items listed and/or another recommendation can do this. This is a very important feature
Seems you will be sticking with the SB X7 then.

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 15
Seems you will be sticking with the SB X7 then.

That is surprising to hear that not many other devices have this capability. Ultimately I can sell my X7 and go with a smaller G6 (also works) and use the optical out for gaming purposes into the new DAC/AMP. I can keep my SBX and the feature I need and when I want to listen to music I’ll use USB directly to new DAC/AMP.

Feb 15, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 15
Looking for a combo dac/amp that clean dac with a lot of amp power.

From your headphone list Headphones: HD 800 S, TH-X00, Fidelio X2, SHP9500, HyperX Cloud 2, Airpods Pro

I would say the RME (either DAC or Pro version) would do more than fine with everything but the 800S. In my opinion the RME just does not have the right kind of power to make the 800 sing, and also not the 600 either.

Feb 15, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 15
None of the proper dac/amps that i know could play from multiple sources simultaneously.
Curios to hear about it. :)

Feb 15, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 15
None of the proper dac/amps that i know could play from multiple sources simultaneously.
Curios to hear about it. :)

Yeah that's a good point. Totally missed that. Not happening with any DAC I know of.

Feb 15, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 15
Yeah that's a good point. Totally missed that. Not happening with any DAC I know of.

Not the biggest deal if I can’t find one cause I could use my current DACs Or buy a small G6 and use their optical out for that gaming need. Mostly I want the cleanest most powerful combo unit. One that will drive ANY headphone and also have a clean dac.

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Do you like the sound of the X7 or do you want another sound signature?

If the former happens, why not adding a decent amp to the line?
Something like the Audio GD NFB-1Amp, for example. (you'll never run into low power output issues ^^)

For the latter, there're plenty of option to go for.
It'll be a matter of your personelle taste.

Add a nice little Dac to the NFB-1Amp and it'll be a save bet, i think.
Maybe Topping D50, or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back