Looking for portable, over-ear closed headphones, under $200
May 21, 2015 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AmIStillFeeling

New Head-Fier
First post, but long time lurker. I own a Fiio X1 and a pair of HIFIMAN RE-400s which I love,  but IEMs wear on my ears and I don't like wearing them for more then the length of Bachelor-level grocery shopping, so I'm looking for high quality portable, closed back headphones for longer listening when I may or may not be home. Sitting at a listening table with separate amp, DAC and open backed cans just isn't practical right now.

The headphone has to be drivable straight out of an X1, and I like clear and reasonably detailed sound, but I would be open to something warm to go with my neutral IEMs. I've been looking very closely at the Sennheiser Momentum over-ear since it's available cheap on Amazon.

As for music... My playlists are so all over the place it's hard to really say what I listen to. There's stuff like Queen and Daft Punk, but I also have a habit of delving into Bandcamp and buying whatever I find that I like the sound of. As a result I have very little music that would really justify Schiitstacks and HD600s and the like. Just portable, comfortable, clear headphones.

As a last note I'm defining "portable" as "closed back, with a cord less then ten feet long or replacable"

Thanks for reading!

May 21, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 5
You might want to take a look at the Soundmagic hp150. The sound is mostly neutral with a slight sub bass boost. It should sound good out of your x1. I tried mine on my friends x1 once and it sounded pretty good. Last time I checked, they were about $180 on amazon.

May 22, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 5
I've been enjoying the original MOMENTUMs, and find them to be a good "coffee house" headphone when I drive them from my iPhone 6 Plus. Bass is elevated, but I find it helps me ignore some of the surrounding ambient noise of a coffee house when listening at lower volumes.

You may also want to take a look at @MattTCG's review of the latest version (link), and see if those may be up your alley. 

I haven't listened to the hp150, as @DoppenShloppen suggests, but I hope to soon. 

May 22, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for that, "coffee house" is what I'm going for. I would like to get Momentum 2s, but for the price I could also get HD600s and a Magni, so that wouldn't happen anyway. I'm a firmly Budget-fi/Mid-fi listener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back