Looking for over-the-ear headphones to use at work $100-$300
Nov 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stephenshafer

New Head-Fier
I have been researching headphones, and it has become clear that I simply do not have a foundation strong enough to know what I'm doing, so I will turn to you guys. I am looking for the highest quality headphone to use at my place of work, which pretty well eliminates an open back, from what I can tell. I do not necessarily need noise cancelling. I lack the vocabulary to explain most of what I am looking for, or even how to ask for what I want, but music means a lot to me, and I want to hear it all very well. I listen to everything from Opera to Rap and Techno. Work isn't too loud, but I don't want to contribute anything to that environment either. I'm kind of hard on everything I own, so durability would be a plus as well.
Thanks in advance,

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome! The Sennheiser Momentums are $300 right now on Amazon great without Amping them and outstanding performance for closed cans, the Mr Speakers Mad Dogs are also $300, bigger and retro looking headphone but more comfortable and neutral sound, Audio Technica ATH M50 are 104 bucks right now on amazon, great comfort but a bit on the tight clamp side yet off astounding bass for electronic music and rap, but mids will be lacking for vocals in opera, great deal still.

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi,

You should consider Shure SRH-840.

Best Luck!

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 7
Dec 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 7
Hey, I use my Beyerdynamic DT770s in 80Ohms at the library, and I crank them up pretty high, and no one can hear the music I'm playing. The sound isolation is good also, I really can't hear anything other than my music. I switched the stock velour pads with the original Beyerdynamic leather pads and that improved the bass and the sound isolation.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 7
I would also +1 on the Momentums vs. Mad Dogs if you are down to spend your whole $300 budget. similar new (exciting b/c they are new lol) offerings of closed/portable at $300 include the KEF M500 vs NAD Viso HP500.

New release but cheaper price (tho sonic performance is comparable) = AKG 545 at $200 from razerdogaudio

Older closed headphones that are in this $200-300 bracket include: AKG K550 ($220ish: non-portable if that matters to you) vs Sony MDR-1R (sub-$200)

there are also a ton more offerings out there, but this is just from the top of my head... lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back