Looking for open big brother for PX100
Oct 27, 2007 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bernado

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for some open phones and looking for a pretty mellow sound as much of my listening is going to be before I drift of to sleep. I'm not one for in yer face detail anyway. Although I'm more used to closed phones as I listen on the road mainly I have got some Senn PX100's which has a sound I enjoy, particularly when driven by my Mini3 amp which tightens the bass considerably. So why look for something else if I like the PX100's? They are a bit long in the tooth now and well, you know how it is. I'm looking to spend up to £100 ($200), so second hand might be an option.

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 13
not that i have experience wtih these cans but i think people are going to tell soemthin like this

HD555, HD595, Grado SR60, Grado SR225...apparently you can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned.

i personally think that the PX100s are phenominal headphones for what they are intended to do! i Love em! i'd just buy 6 more set for $200
eggosmile.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 13
Not sure about the Grado's as don't they have a rather forward sound? I've never had any so I'm just going on what I remember reading. I was kind of thinking maybe hd5xx series although, again from what I read the 555's are good for gaming but not so good for music. Anyone tell me how smooth the 595's are? Remember they are to get me ready for snoozeville.

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 13
I wouldn't use Grados to help me drift off to sleep... I can't tolerate them even when I want to be awake.

If you like the sound signature of PX100s, I would upgrade to another headphone in the Sennheiser brand (HD595, HD600, or HD650.) The HD595 will sound good without an amp, while the other two require an amp to sound their best and are above your budget unless you get a pair used. The shape of the HD595 may also be better suited for sleeping, especially if you sleep on your side. You cannot sleep on your side with an HD600/650 on your head, because the earcups are too deep.

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 13
So are the PX100s a good example of the Sennheiser sound? I've never heared any other open Senns and I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them. I waver between finding them a little muddy or nice and smooth, depending on if I'm listening for thrills or quiet relaxation. If the PX100s do have a typical Sennheiser signature then Senns do seem to be the way to go as I will be using these mainly for chilling out.

Oct 27, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 13
Yes, the PX100s are representative of the Sennheiser house sound. The main difference is that the HD650 offers considerably better detail, better balance across all frequencies (I find the bass on the PX100 can sound too pronounced), and better soundstage.

I really like the HD650s, but admit they are not the most exciting headphones out there. They are great for listening when you want to relax. If you want a lot of PRAT, you will do better with another brand of headphone (In my experience, Grado > Beyer > AKG > Sennheiser). However, I find that there is a fine line between excitement and fatigue in headphones.

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 13
remember that if you get a higher end sennheiser, the headphone will be bigger (circumaural instead of supraaural) and may be a bit more cumbersome to sleep with

SQ-wise, the HD595 is a bit more forward sounding compared to the HD-6X0 series from what i remember. just get another pair of px-100s for now... it will save you money in the long run =D

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bernado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are the PX100s a good example of the Sennheiser sound? I've never heared any other open Senns and I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them. I waver between finding them a little muddy or nice and smooth, depending on if I'm listening for thrills or quiet relaxation. If the PX100s do have a typical Sennheiser signature then Senns do seem to be the way to go as I will be using these mainly for chilling out.

I feel the same way about the PX100. Sometimes muddy, sometimes smooth. All around a decent headphone. The HD-580, HD-600 and HD-650 are reminiscent of this relaxed sound not so muddy. The HD-600 is my favorite of these.

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 13
I've got the SR60 and PX100, they're really very different in sound signature, so perhaps the grados aren't what you're looking for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back