Looking for: "Office" headphone for progressive metal & rock
Oct 14, 2018 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Immortaly007

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm relatively new in the world of audiophile headphones, and I'm looking for a nice set of closed-back over-ear headphones for use in an office environment.

I listen to a lot of (progressive) rock and metal, such as Dream Theater, Symphony X, Periphery, TesseracT, Meshuggah, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Alter Bridge, Foo Fighters.

Because I like guitars a lot, I want them to come forward in the mix, so I'm not a bass-head. I'm looking for more of a flat response. I don't mind if it needs an amp (I have a spare O2 amp and AudioEngine D1 DAC), as long as it sounds good.

At home I have a Sennheiser HD600 (with a DarkVoice 336E Tube Amp and AudioQuest DragonFly Red DAC), and I love how that sounds (great warmth and clarity, sounds nice and balanced to me). Unfortunately, for an office situation it leaks too much sounds.

In short, I think what I like best would be a somewhat warm, neutral sound.

The price range I'm looking in is $200-$500

Headphones I've tried (kind of ordered from best to worst option, taking the price and sound into account):
  • Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 (borrowed): Quite nice, neutral and very detailed sound. The slightly cold an analytical sound works well for metal, but if there's a slightly warmer alternative, i'd love that. I like them a lot and they are a good contender.
  • Audeze Sine (tried in store): love the sound, but with them being on-ear, I'm a bit worried that they'd be uncomfortable when wearing them for a long time, especially since I wear glasses.
  • Beyerdynamic 1770 Pro (tried in store): Slightly too bass heavy (but not as much as the Meze 99 Classics)
  • Sennheiser HD630VB (tried in store): They sounded really clear and detailed, but imo too analytical and cold for "fun" listening. The bass-control is cool tho!
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50x (owned): Nice bass, but it sounds a bit thin in the mids, drowning out some details.
  • Meze 99 Classics (tried in store): Too bass heavy for my tastes. These may be amazing for more modern genres tho)
  • Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back (tried in store): These sounded amazing and were comfortable, but they are above my budget.
Headphones I'm interested in but haven't been able to try (so maybe you can tell me if I should cross them of the list or really try to find them):
  • Oppo PM-3: Good reviews, planar magnatic, but hard to find, especially since they're no longer being produced.
  • MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs: Good reviews, hard to find.
  • Shure SRH-1540: Review say they sound boring and are amazing for monitoring but not for fun, but I'm still curious aboutb them.
  • Your suggestions?

I'm looking forward to your suggestions!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 16

serman005

Headphoneus Supremus
I would add a SoundMAGIC HP151 to the list, personally. Maybe read about it and see what you think. I also like the 1More Triple Driver Over-ear quite a lot. Some thoughts. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 16

ProtegeManiac

Headphoneus Supremus

Maybe try the Focal Listen Pro.

Audeze LCD-2C Closed Back (tried in store): These sounded amazing and were comfortable, but they are above my budget.

The "C" actually stands for "Classic," because some people preferred the sound of the LCD-2 and LCD-2 Rev 2, ie, the pre-Fazor driver versions. It's open back, and no, even if you had the budget for the LCD-XC, if you're going to use them in an office I wouldn't recommend these. Crank them up and even if little sound escapes Audezes have earcups that visibly vibrate and might freak out people there.

Oct 14, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 16

arielext

Headphoneus Supremus
They visually vibrate?! I'd like to know more :)

Me and @Immortaly007 are collegues and I recommended the HD630VB to @Immortaly007 but that didn't work out. I'd also thought of the TH-X00 in that price range but that is neither neutral nor 'closed'. He came back from the store telling the $800,-* audeze's are ok, way off budget. Next time I'll shove my TH900s down his ears >:) Yes, way to expensive, but they sound good.

* We live in the netherlands mind you

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 16

Zenvota

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm relatively new in the world of audiophile headphones, and I'm looking for a nice set of closed-back over-ear headphones for use in an office environment.

I listen to a lot of (progressive) rock and metal, such as Dream Theater, Symphony X, Periphery, TesseracT, Meshuggah, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Alter Bridge, Foo Fighters.

Because I like guitars a lot, I want them to come forward in the mix, so I'm not a bass-head. I'm looking for more of a flat response. I don't mind if it needs an amp (I have a spare O2 amp and AudioEngine D1 DAC), as long as it sounds good.

At home I have a Sennheiser HD600 (with a DarkVoice 336E Tube Amp and AudioQuest DragonFly Red DAC), and I love how that sounds (great warmth and clarity, sounds nice and balanced to me). Unfortunately, for an office situation it leaks too much sounds.

Headphones I've tried (kind of ordered from best to worst option, taking the price and sound into account):
  • Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 (borrowed): Quite nice, neutral and very detailed sound. The slightly cold an analytical sound works well for metal, but if there's a slightly warmer alternative, i'd love that. I like them a lot and they are a good contender.
  • Audeze Sine (tried in store): love the sound, but with them being on-ear, I'm a bit worried that they'd be uncomfortable when wearing them for a long time, especially since I wear glasses.
  • Beyerdynamic 1770 Pro (tried in store): Slightly too bass heavy (but not as much as the Meze 99 Classics)
  • Sennheiser HD630VB (tried in store): They sounded really clear and detailed, but imo too analytical and cold for "fun" listening. The bass-control is cool tho!
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50x (owned): Nice bass, but it sounds a bit thin in the mids, drowning out some details.
  • Meze 99 Classics (tried in store): Too bass heavy for my tastes. These may be amazing for more modern genres tho)
  • Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back (tried in store): These sounded amazing and were comfortable, but they are above my budget.
Headphones I'm interested in but haven't been able to try (so maybe you can tell me if I should cross them of the list or really try to find them):
  • Oppo PM-3: Good reviews, planar magnatic, but hard to find, especially since they're no longer being produced.
  • MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs: Good reviews, hard to find.
  • Shure SRH-1540: Review say they sound boring and are amazing for monitoring but not for fun, but I'm still curious aboutb them.
  • Your suggestions?

I'm looking forward to your suggestions!

Thank you!

Maybe Audeze EL-8 closed/titantiums? Metal likes speed.

And some Blotted Science and Spastic Ink while you're at it.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 16

Immortaly007

New Head-Fier
I would add a SoundMAGIC HP151 to the list, personally. Maybe read about it and see what you think. I also like the 1More Triple Driver Over-ear quite a lot. Some thoughts. FWIW. YMMV, of course.
Looked at reviews from both. The "1More Triple Driver Over-ear" seems like a decent option. Based on reviews, they may be a bit bass heavy/recessed-mid-y. I will check if there's some place I can try them out.

Maybe try the Focal Listen Pro.
I wasn't even aware Focal has affordable options. I will check if there's some place I can try these out.

The fostex th-60 are highly recommend, but not fully closed, right?
TH-600 or T60RP? The T60RP seems like it's half open.

Without a doubt a used ZMF Blackwood (or better yet Ori if you can get it).
Hmm, finding a used one seems pretty hard down here in the Netherlands (one I can try before buying I mean). How does it stack up to the ZMF Classics? Are they comparable?

Maybe Audeze EL-8 closed/titantiums? Metal likes speed.

And some Blotted Science and Spastic Ink while you're at it.
Audeze EL-8 Closed/titaniums are definitely interesting, but also a bit out of my budget. Is there something you would consider a cheaper but similar alternative? Or should I try to find one used?
Will definitely check out Blotted Science and Spastic Ink!

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 16

Tinnitus Man

100+ Head-Fier
ThinkSound ON2 should be on the list there. Great sound quality, very natural sound and good insulation (both in and out). I can listen at a decent level without annoying my co-workers.

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 16

Zenvota

1000+ Head-Fier
Audeze EL-8 Closed/titaniums are definitely interesting, but also a bit out of my budget. Is there something you would consider a cheaper but similar alternative? Or should I try to find one used?
Refurbs with a warranty are $340 usd:
https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-closed-back
Lots of used on the market:
https://www.hifishark.com/model/audeze-el-8

Will definitely check out Blotted Science and Spastic Ink!

Since you said Meshuggah, you might wanna try some deathy bands like Beyond Creation, Anata - The Conductors Departure, Anabyss - Dehabilitation, etc. xD

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 16

Mhog55

Headphoneus Supremus
ThinkSound ON2 should be on the list there. Great sound quality, very natural sound and good insulation (both in and out). I can listen at a decent level without annoying my co-workers.
He wants over ear, but yeah, these are great cans. Wouldn't be my 1st choice for metal though. I think the Beoplay H6 fits the bill a little better if he is looking for stylish cans with all day comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread