Looking for new open cans with huge soundstage
May 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

goropeza

100+ Head-Fier
I need a bit of help. I currently own a pair of AH-D 7000's and AH-D 5000's but I want to open my horizons a bit and get another set of cans that can offer a nice change up. What I would really like is a set of open cans with primary emphasis on soundstage and treble. I certainly don't want them to be lacking in bass (sort of a basshead) but I really do not want it to be the center of attention either. I really am kind of yearning for that beautiful open, full, natural sound that comes with having some open headphones. My price range is about $400 but I would go a little above for something truly remarkable. Any thoughts on what to get? Oh, and I currently use a Fiio E-9/Fiio E-7 as a combo amp/dac.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
AKG Q701/K701/K702, they are all the same.

If you think the bass on these is too little then DT880.

Nope the AKG's are not all the same, but they all have an excellent sound stage.  It is true that they--especially the K's--aren't known for their bass.

I haven't found the DT 880's sound stage to be nearly so impressive.

The Grado RS-2 has a fantastic sound stage, but it's about $100 above budget.

The Senn HD 598 also has an impressive sound stage.  It will not meet your needs if you are a true basshead.  The HD 650 gives you more bass, but is harder to drive.

The DT 770 (Pro) might be good compromise between bass and sound stage, depending how much of each you find to be OK.  It is the only closed can I've mentioned.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 17
Thanks guys! I have given thought into the AKG 702's and the Sennheiser 598s, both of which I have heard great things about. Which of those would you say has the bigger soundstage? I also thought about the Sennheiser HD 650 but I wanted change up from a bass heavy sound and I don't think that my Fiio E-9 can drive it. The DT 880 on the other hand is something I had not considered and I will delve into some user reviews on it.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
Thanks guys! I have given thought into the AKG 702's and the Sennheiser 598s, both of which I have heard great things about. Which of those would you say has the bigger soundstage? I also thought about the Sennheiser HD 650 but I wanted change up from a bass heavy sound and I don't think that my Fiio E-9 can drive it. The DT 880 on the other hand is something I had not considered and I will delve into some user reviews on it.

The AKG's have the bigger sound stage.  Most think the K's are slightly bigger than the Q.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 17
Personally i like the 598's soundstage. They are easy to drive as well, you dont have to spend on a dedicated headamp..in case you go for the AKG's you have to, they need more power. 

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 17
How are they not the same given the same drivers/housing?

The housings aren't identical and they've changed some other things - you can actually see this demonstrated with measurements between the K701, K702, and Q701. The 702 "fixes" a treble ridge in the 701, and the Q changes the tonal balance slightly. From seeing a variety of threads, the Q probably has the most popular appeal, and the 701 is probably the most analytical sounding.

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&search_target=title&search_keyword=701&document_srl=4138
http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&search_target=title&search_keyword=702&document_srl=8281

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGQuincyJonesQ701.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK701.pdf

The Sennheisers are not "bass heavy" really - they're closer to neutral, while the 70x is more "thin" by contrast. Compared to the Denon, the 70x is a very big departure. The Sennheiser are more complementary imho. E9 will drive them fine (it will drive 70x fine too, and the DT880, etc; none of them need *that much* power). Overall, I'd do the Sennheiser 580/600 (the 650 is supposed to be more dark; might be fun). I'd also look at the Ultrasone HFI-2400 (even darker, more bass too - also cheaper).

Grado is a fun suggestion as well - will be a VERY big contrast, and certainly worth looking at. The SR-225 is still the entry-point imo (I don't like the 325). Comfort will be a very dramatic departure too (the Denon are one of the most comfortable headphones out there; the Grado are...not).

Finally, I want to suggest a Sony open-back headphone, but the models I've heard/like are all discontinued; you might want to follow the MA900 thread as they become more available and adopted - it might be exactly what you want in terms of "airy and mid/treble forward." (The MDR-F1 and MDR-SA5000 both would do that for you, but they're both discontinued tmk).

I'm not a Beyer fan, and don't care for them, so ask someone else about them (if you don't have anything nice to say...).

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 17
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm or DT990 Premium 600-Ohm, they have that "movie theater" like sound.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
E9 will drive them fine (it will drive 70x fine too, and the DT880, etc; none of them need *that much* power).

If you think the E9 will drive em all I may try out the AKG 702's first and if it doesn't move me I'll see if I like the HD 598's better. I'm starting to get a good collection of FLACs so maybe the uber detail of the AKG's won't hurt so bad.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #14 of 17
If you think the E9 will drive em all I may try out the AKG 702's first and if it doesn't move me I'll see if I like the HD 598's better. I'm starting to get a good collection of FLACs so maybe the uber detail of the AKG's won't hurt so bad.

It will certainly drive them. And I wouldn't call them "uber detailed" - they're more analytical/dry (they're probably just-as-detailed as the Denons, or perhaps a bit more); what kinds of music do you listen to?

Basically, I think they could do it for you, but I just worry they'll sound too thin for your tastes. Why the 702 over the other models, out of curiosity?

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #15 of 17
Yes the D7000's are quite detailed as well. As for the music I listen to it's mostly dubstep, house, and other forms of electronic, but my collection varies greatly (70k song library) and I have a lot of acoustic, classic rock, alternative rock, jazz, raggae and ska as well.  Basically, I'm a music lover first, basshead second. I want to get the 702's because it IS a "very big departure" from the Denons and I want to try out something new and see how it does with my other genres of music (probably would not listen to dubstep on the 702's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back