Looking for new MP3 player... seek advice regarding SQ
Sep 21, 2007 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fiish

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using a Creative Zen Micro, which I have repaired once due to the headphone jack coming loose (a common problem). It's been about a year after I fixed it and now the jack is acting up again so I'm thinking of replacing it. I would like some advice regarding the SQ of the few models I have shortlisted; I quite like the Micro's sound (well, it's better than my laptop's sound anyway), so I am looking for something similar or 'better'

My first shortlist was:
iPod classic (struck out now)
iPod nano
Sony Walkman A818 (like the 808, but no SonicStage required0
Creative Zen
iAudio 7

After reading the threads here on the iPod classic's SQ I decided to strike it off the list.

Which of those models would be best for SQ? Or is there a player I should consider but haven't? I use quite humble Sennheiser CX300's.

Thanks.

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 12
how about a 5.5G IPOD - you can now pick them up for same price as classic.

if the Sony A818 sounds anything like my 705F - then they do sound very good indeed, don't let the amp rating of the headphone amp worry you (I think its rated quite low) as it seems to be rated very conservatively.

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about a 5.5G IPOD - you can now pick them up for same price as classic.

Remember, he is looking for sound QUALITY.
wink.gif

Some models that come to mind when suggesting a player based on sound quality... Cowon X5, D2, "7", Creative Vision:M, perhaps the Zen, Samsung P2. Zune. If you get one of these players, it will be in your best interest to upgrade to something better than CX300s....
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 12
Cowon is known for making top quality products in the sound quality department.

You might also want to check out the Meizu lineup. My friend just got a M6 and it's very small, sound is also up on par and maybe above my Nano.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm a little biased towards the Zen as my Micro's power adapters will work with it. (Better for travelling)

As for headphones, I actually have a pair of PX100s in London too which I use for listening at home :p

I think I'll wait for some reviews on the Zen and A810 series to appear before I choose. At the moment the Zen is the cheapest on my list, at £110.

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 12
I'm not sure why the negative comments on the IPODs sound quality ...

I've owned many of the "IPOD killers" - Sony 705F, Samsung Z5, Iriver IHP-120- and while all of them have pros and cons - I don't think any of them sound particularly any better than the IPOD - the only perhaps that does edge it a touch is the 705F ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember, he is looking for sound QUALITY.
wink.gif

Some models that come to mind when suggesting a player based on sound quality... Cowon X5, D2, "7", Creative Vision:M, perhaps the Zen, Samsung P2. Zune. If you get one of these players, it will be in your best interest to upgrade to something better than CX300s....
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm sorry Buckster but I have to disagree, my Shure SE420s sounded kind of dull and lifeless hooked up to my Nano and any attempts to tweak the sound with other EQ settings resulted in distortion.

I just got my Sony Walkman A818 and the Shures sound absolutely incredible with the Walkman. I can tweak the sound to my liking with the custom EQs with no distortion. I would say the sound is very comparable to running my SE420s off of my Total Bithead hooked up to my laptop which is a very good sounding combination.

I could not recommend the A818 any more highly, I've been listening to it all day and continue to be impressed

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 12
From what I have been reading as long as you don't care about FLAC or OGG, the A818 had the best sound quality. I Don't think the nano is even in the same league in terms of sound quality.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 12
I advise you to not worry too much about trying to find the player with the best sound quality. You will never get agreement on this issue between the many people on headfi. I do like the iAudio 7 though. If you are ok with the lack of gapless playback you shouldn't regret choosing it too much.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 12
Don't think you can go wrong with the Cowon or Sony.

I personally have an iAudio7 and enjoy it...alot.

Nov 10, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by arevalo

I personally have an iAudio7 and enjoy it...alot.

And it's just so darn cute...in a manly way of course.

So small yet sounds so good.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back