Looking for new IEM's
Oct 5, 2009 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Meetay

New Head-Fier
Currently I have Sony MDR-EX51's. I enjoy the sound they produce as well as the price they cost me when i got them several years ago. I'm no audiophile, but i do enjoy music without breaking bank. I'm looking for a decent pair that are similar to the EX51's.

I found 3 pairs that might be plausible candidates for my future set, but i am willing to get other suggestions at the similar price range.

($15.99) Sennheiser CX300
($19.99) Sony Mdr-Ex75
($18.41) Sony Mdr-Ex55

Things I'm looking for...
1. similar clarity to my 51s.
2. a little more bass than the 51s.
3. little to no "stethoscope effect".
4. price range of 10-30$.
5. durability for years.

The first three are a must, the last two are more of a want.

My pair of 51's work perfectly fine after almost 3 years of service. But I wouldn't mind retiring them to gym use, and use my new pair for entertainment purposes. The chord on my 51s didn't give me much of a "stethoscope effect" that i experienced in most altec lansing headphones. So if you know by personal knowledge that any of the 3 listed above has any annoying flaws, id hope you can give some insight.

So if you can help me decide or give me a suggestion to a different type within the similar price range, it'd be very helpful. Thanks!
icon10.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 9
JVC FX66.........

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 9
Meelectronics Ai-M9
Soundmagic PL21
Soundmagic PL30
Refurb Apple Dual-Drivers off ebay (not always available for $30, but possible)

Also, the CX300s you mention are quite microphonic (what you refer to as the stethoscope effect).

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 9
well thanks for the suggestions,
To Zarim -
The JVC actually look like a really good pair, kinda liking the whole air cushion idea. not too expensive either =D.

to ljokerl -
yeah i've been seen quite alot of bad reviews on the cx300s for some flaws such as being microphonic. Those Meelectronics seem rather nice as well. Couldn't find too much on the soundmagic, or maybe i'm just not looking hard enough. The Dual Driver apples...are they really worth the 80$ retail? Im not too sure about the whole dual driver idea, i get the idea that its two drivers but would it really make much of a difference off an MP3 player? i can see them being a lot better on home theater systems with amps and whatnot..but maybe im just ignorant in the matter.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meetay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to ljokerl -
yeah i've been seen quite alot of bad reviews on the cx300s for some flaws such as being microphonic. Those Meelectronics seem rather nice as well. Couldn't find too much on the soundmagic, or maybe i'm just not looking hard enough. The Dual Driver apples...are they really worth the 80$ retail? Im not too sure about the whole dual driver idea, i get the idea that its two drivers but would it really make much of a difference off an MP3 player? i can see them being a lot better on home theater systems with amps and whatnot..but maybe im just ignorant in the matter.

Soundmagic PL30 Review
Soundmagic PL30 thread
Soundmagic PL21 (sorry, this one is by me so I may be biased, but I don't think a whole lot of people have 'em yet. Brand new model.

I do think the Apples are worth $80 retail, but like I said, you can get them on ebay for at least 50% off, which makes them a stellar value. The dual driver system has nothing to do with driving power or amps - just with tuning the two drivers individually to produce different (and complimentary) frequencies. Both drivers are balanced armatures and don't require much current. And yes, they do sound good together - one driver is a tweeter for the treble and the second driver covers the rest of the range.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 9
yeah, i started reading more reviews off this forum on the PL30's, and its starting to be on the top list for my next pair of IEM's. Is the bass tuning on the chord itself, or is it the knob looking things on the earbuds. with that said, is the knob more of a set tune where theres several settings like, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3 and etc? or is it more of a fine tuning turn?

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meetay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, i started reading more reviews off this forum on the PL30's, and its starting to be on the top list for my next pair of IEM's. Is the bass tuning on the chord itself, or is it the knob looking things on the earbuds. with that said, is the knob more of a set tune where theres several settings like, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3 and etc? or is it more of a fine tuning turn?

The knob is on the housing of the IEM itself and only has two settings - 'clear bass' and 'bass boost'. The differences between the two are minute at best, and people have reported that the knob can fall off if you fiddle with it too much. I tried it once and left it on clear bass from then on.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 9
Altec Backbeat Titanium 326 ($25)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back