Looking for new IEMs (~$80)
Aug 7, 2010 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

nate911

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get some new IEMs for portable use...
I listen to a lot of genres--mainly rock, rap, dubstep/techno/etc.
I already have a mini^3 for an amp so amplification isn't really a problem.
Budget is around $80 (flexible), but cheaper is fine too, I just want a good bang for the buck IEM.

I like the detail/clarity in the mids and highs on the RE0 but I'm not sure the lack of bass quantity will work well for dubstep/rap...
The RE-ZEROs are also a possibility...but the 16 ohm impedance doesn’t really matter to me, and I have to use an adapter. So I’ll probably go with the RE-0 instead if I had to decide between the two.

Not positive if I'll like the Eterna signature, but it looks pretty good as well, especially for rock. But I don't hear as many good things about rev.2 versus rev.1. I haven't listened to many IEMs at all, so I'm not sure if I like the analytical or 'musical' sound sig.

I bought my brother the Brainwavz M2s and they're pretty nice--just a few aspects that aren't ideal. The bass seems a little too much sometimes though, and the whole sound sig seems centered towards the lower frequencies to me (I'd like the mids to be more prominent). They seem the a bit muffled…but that may be because I have AD700s for my main headphones and am used to that. I wouldn't mind a little more sparkle in the highs but nothing too drastic.

Any comments/other suggestions?

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 29
Check Radius DDM (HP-TWF11R) a japanese manufacturer. There are plenty of reviews and comments on this forum.
This are considered among the best value earphones on the market often compared to as IE8 by Sennheiser, HA-FX700 by JVC, among few.
You can get them as low as  $160 from Japanese dealer or if you are lucky you can get an OEM version for less then that.
Check the link below of a dealer. Many of head-fiers on this forum purchased it from them.
Hope this helps
http://www.musicaacoustics.com/Welcome.html

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 29
Thanks for the reply. Sound-wise, the Radium DDM looks good, but I'm not sure if I like the microphonics and fit on them. They're probably a little more than I wanna spend also. If I wanted to spend that much I'd probably consider the DBA-02.

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 29
Most if the head-fi members have no problem with the fit. It will all depend on your ear size. If it is ultra small then it will not work as good as it should. The microphonics is not a big deal. I use a clip which attaches to my shirt and it works  flawless.
You can get used or an OEM version for $110 US or so, it beats the price of any earphones on the market today. DBA-02 is a great earphones as well but to my ears, they sound to plain and boring, can't enjoy music with them.

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 29
There are plenty of RE0 owners who say they are happy with the amount of bass the RE0s produce.
i found when i EQ the bass on my walkman i have ample bass for my tastes and i like to hear and feel low bass.
Also RE0s are said to go better with an amp. Ive never amped mine and am still happy with the clarity and detail.
In my opinion i dont think the ZEROs give anymore bass than the RE0s (in fact my fully burnt in RE0s appear to give me a bit more bass from my 100 hrs burnt in ZEROs) with this setup.

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 29

Quote:
Most if the head-fi members have no problem with the fit. It will all depend on your ear size. If it is ultra small then it will not work as good as it should. The microphonics is not a big deal. I use a clip which attaches to my shirt and it works  flawless.
You can get used or an OEM version for $110 US or so, it beats the price of any earphones on the market today. DBA-02 is a great earphones as well but to my ears, they sound to plain and boring, can't enjoy music with them.

I'd have to get used to the shirt clip...and I can't find it sold anywhere for that cheap :/

Quote:
There are plenty of RE0 owners who say they are happy with the amount of bass the RE0s produce.
i found when i EQ the bass on my walkman i have ample bass for my tastes and i like to hear and feel low bass.
Also RE0s are said to go better with an amp. Ive never amped mine and am still happy with the clarity and detail.
In my opinion i dont think the ZEROs give anymore bass than the RE0s (in fact my fully burnt in RE0s appear to give me a bit more bass from my 100 hrs burnt in ZEROs) with this setup.

I'm sure the bass on the RE0 is adequate for certain genres, I'm just not sure how they fare with the ones I listen to specifically. That's good to hear that they work well with an amp though.

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 29
The Silver Bullet looks decent; I haven't heard it recommended as much as some of the other FAs though. It looks pretty good but I'm wondering if it will be too laid back for my tastes...hm. Any more suggestions for me to consider?

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 29
Hmm alright I'll definitely consider them. But I'm still looking at the RE0/Zero. I have AD700s so I don't think I should have a problem with the bass. But more bass would be nice too, i'm not sure. Any more to look at or opinions guys?

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 29
Actually I think the AD700 has less than either the RE0 or RE-Zero. I had the AD700 for around a week and sold it pretty fast so take it with a grain of salt but during my ownership I felt it lacking bass compared to some of my earphones which aren't exactly bass monsters.

The Zero's are great however. I was using that for half of the day and it sounded amazing today. I think it may have been that I haven't heard it in a while and offers a different presentation than the DBA-02 but I was pretty amazed by it today.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 29
A couple of used Panasonic HJE900s are up in the FS thread for $80 heck even for their retail price they are great bang for the buck IEMS.

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
Actually I think the AD700 has less than either the RE0 or RE-Zero. I had the AD700 for around a week and sold it pretty fast so take it with a grain of salt but during my ownership I felt it lacking bass compared to some of my earphones which aren't exactly bass monsters.

The Zero's are great however. I was using that for half of the day and it sounded amazing today. I think it may have been that I haven't heard it in a while and offers a different presentation than the DBA-02 but I was pretty amazed by it today.

Woops, I meant that coming from the AD700, the bass on the RE0 shouldn't seem lacking. I'm looking to upgrade my AD700 as well in the near future (partially cause of the weaker bass).

Quote:
A couple of used Panasonic HJE900s are up in the FS thread for $80 heck even for their retail price they are great bang for the buck IEMS.

Those look nice, very different from the RE0 of course...that is a good deal though. I just don't really know what kind of sound I like--a more analytical one or a 'funner' sounding one. Hmm.

Aug 14, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 29

Quote:

Ive taken a real liking to my ZEROs. Most of my home listening is done on these now, except for the Rains when im watching movies and tv.
Not to say the RE0s are any less of an IEM. I just like the smoother more forward mids of the ZEROs (great for vocals).
The RE0s i would say have more aggressive highs which extend a bit further, so there  are some rock artists i like with the RE0s, but overall the ZEROs are put on more often than not.

Aug 14, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #15 of 29
Try the etymotic mc5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back