Looking for new headphones
May 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Kieran

New Head-Fier
hey guys, i'm looking for a new set of headphones, i'll be using it for mainly gaming, and general computer stuff (movies, shows, etc)

my current set is comfortable, but it's starting to fall apart, and doesnt have as good quality as my last set (logitech 3d pro or something) 

anyway, my price range is about $150, i'd prefer over ear headphones but i'm not picky as long as they are comfortable
i'd like also a nice bass quality, my old logitech ones sounded pretty great for explosions and gunshots ingame

currently looking at the ATH-m50s , though i don't know much about the bass quality/general quality

i also have a xonar dg soundcard (i think that's what it is)

any advice?

edit: after looking around, it looks like the ATH-m50s are best for music, any suggestions? and i'm willing to up my budget by $50 or so as long as they are good and will last years

May 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 25
The 770s are your typical basshead headphone and get good reviews for that.  I hear the 990s are good. V-moda has some good cans too if you're looking for basshead type headphones.

May 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 25
The DT770's should give you adequate bass and they are built quite closely to a tank and are quite comfortable and is a very safe option. Much more comfortable than the M50 i feel.
If you are serious in competitive gaming and don't mind open headphones the HD598 are extremely comfortable and has very good soundstage which is great for movies too. (the bass however you might want to up it with an eq or a cheap amp, fiio e3 perhaps?)

May 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 25
Hi, my main desire is, i want to have the quality i had with my logitech g35's a while ago, and then some (they had a built in amp, and dolby 3d/surround)
they were quite good sounding to my inexperienced ears in games heavy on the bass/explosions like bad company.

at the moment i'm using a pair of asus ROG headphones/headset, and it's pretty.. uh, comfortable, but it's now falling apart and doesnt have as much sound quality as my old logitech pair

as for open/closed headphones, i prefer closed ones for pricavy, but it isnt a massive concern, especially since i can get the HD598 about $50 cheaper from one place (even though they sell for about the same in other countries)
as for the amp, i could get a fiio, but it looks like i could only order one from hong kong in my area, though i wouldn't mind the wait in the meantime (especially since it would only be like $10, assuming it's genuine)

anyway, anyone own both dt770 and HD598?  any advice?

kinda biased towards the 770 right now, due to them being closed, how much would the hd598 leak? i'll be using them in my own room, closed doors- the 598 is cheaper also, which is a plus

May 3, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
Hi, my main desire is, i want to have the quality i had with my logitech g35's a while ago, and then some (they had a built in amp, and dolby 3d/surround)
they were quite good sounding to my inexperienced ears in games heavy on the bass/explosions like bad company.

at the moment i'm using a pair of asus ROG headphones/headset, and it's pretty.. uh, comfortable, but it's now falling apart and doesnt have as much sound quality as my old logitech pair

as for open/closed headphones, i prefer closed ones for pricavy, but it isnt a massive concern, especially since i can get the HD598 about $50 cheaper from one place (even though they sell for about the same in other countries)
as for the amp, i could get a fiio, but it looks like i could only order one from hong kong in my area, though i wouldn't mind the wait in the meantime (especially since it would only be like $10, assuming it's genuine)

anyway, anyone own both dt770 and HD598?  any advice?

kinda biased towards the 770 right now, due to them being closed, how much would the hd598 leak? i'll be using them in my own room, closed doors- the 598 is cheaper also, which is a plus

I have tried both at the shop and own the HD558.
If your room is quite quiet i think at most people's listening levels anyone in the room can hear it.
But for me i didn't have the problem since my volumes are generally quite low. (anyone further than 4 feet can't hear it already)
But DT770 has a more powerful bass and a more fun sound. The former has a more laidback relaxing sound.

May 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 25
well i'll mainly be using them for video games, i don't really listen to music, good dolby surround is nice, aswell as nice bass

my hopes are that i can get a pair that is much better than the g35's by logitech (i loved them and the sound they made in games, but head-fi disagrees- i have simple ears) mainly in the bass, and surround/dolby aswell as general quality- edit: just looking around the forums and the g35's have pretty bad reviews here

my main concerns are 
the sennheiser is open eared- not a major concern
some reviews describe the bass as weak-ish though, idk

the dt770's are $50 more (due to a promo on the sennheisers)

also, would anyone recommend some hardware i should buy in the future to hopefully really improve sound quality, i currently have just a xonar DG sound card

and what are the differences sound-wise between a closed headset and an open one?

very hard for me to pick between the two :S though i'm kinda leaning to the hd598 right now due to the price point- is there a different cheap amp i could buy other than the fiio that might be avaliable locally?- do i even need one with an xonar DG?

May 3, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 25
Well since music isnt too much of a concern the hd598 woud provide a significantly more surround feel over the dt770.
Generally open cans sounds more spacious and lifelike over closed's more compact and dense sound.
Not sure what amps are available to you, though the hd598 runs pretty well unammped.

May 3, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 25
well then i guess i'm going with the HD 598's then, will still order that fiio from ebay since it's cheap, should i buy a better sound card or amp in a few months? or will it not add much?

May 3, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:
well then i guess i'm going with the HD 598's then, will still order that fiio from ebay since it's cheap, should i buy a better sound card or amp in a few months? or will it not add much?

Well generally better aftermarket amps would help you archive a greater volume of sound with less distortion from your inbuilt amp. 
But generally it doesn't add much unless you want to use the eq settings in it (E3 has a warm tilt and increases bass and volume, E6 helps clean provide a slightly cleaner high volume sound if your E6 is set to max volume and it has 3 eq settings, bass+, mids+ and treble+ )
But if you want a really good amp that helps increase the headphone's refinement and soundstage, be prepared to spend as much as the headphones themselves...
So for the time being i'm sure they run pretty well unamped :wink:

add on: though for an upgrade i recommend the C-entrance DAC port if you want a good fun sounding DAC+amp combo

May 3, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 25
I used to own the 598 and it was good but did lack bass. After comparing them to the 770 I got rid of the 598. The 770's are better for movies and for me, better for gaming. I had an easier time locating people with the 770's then I did with the 598's. And for me the 770's are much more comfy. I can wear these all day. And they sound much better for music. I dont miss the 598's. Whatever one you get you should be just fine with the Xonar. Shouldnt need to amp them.

One last thing. Even though the 770's are closed, they dont sound like it. Theyre very good for gaming

May 3, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 25
uh oh now i'm not sure again, well i guess they can't ship tonight so i'lls ee what opinions i get over the next 2 days, kinda doubting the 598 since many of the reviews im reading say they are weak on the bass

edit: i'm kinda thinking that bass may not be that important, as long as they can beat the g35 for bass, i might appreciate thebetter mid and treble more? i'm not sure though, many threads involving 598 and 770 seem to favor the 770.

May 3, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #14 of 25
That's probably why i stated that the DT770 is a safer choice since the bass will suit more people (plus its closed so it has isolation), though the open HD598 does provide a better soundstage overall.
Both are really comfy so you don't have to worry about either of them hurting your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back