Looking for new headphones under 300 USD.
May 23, 2015 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FreeFourAll

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I want to upgrade to a better pair of headphones. I am currently using the Sennheiser 518s with on-board sound.They are decent headphones, and I like the bass. I was thinking about the Philips X1s, as I hear they have decent bass. I have tried the HD598s and HD600s and didn't notice much of a difference from my HD518s. I'd prefer open headphones, as I like the sound stage they provide. Any suggestions or +1s for the X1s would be appreciated!

May 23, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 16
  Hey all, I want to upgrade to a better pair of headphones. I am currently using the Sennheiser 518s with on-board sound.They are decent headphones, and I like the bass. I was thinking about the Philips X1s, as I hear they have decent bass. I have tried the HD598s and HD600s and didn't notice much of a difference from my HD518s. I'd prefer open headphones, as I like the sound stage they provide. Any suggestions or +1s for the X1s would be appreciated!

As you did not notice a big difference with the HD598/HD600, over the HD518, your on-board audio might be low quality.
So you might consider getting a FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla, to go along with whatever headphones (X1?) you get.

May 23, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 16

As you did not notice a big difference with the HD598/HD600, over the HD518, your on-board audio might be low quality.
So you might consider getting a FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla, to go along with whatever headphones (X1?) you get.

I was using a Schiit Modi and Magni with PCM audio. Personally, I couldn't really tell the difference between the 518s, 598s, and the 650s. Day to day, I use on board sound and Pandora One. I am considering the X1s + E10k + New Cable.

May 23, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 16
  I was using a Schiit Modi and Magni with PCM audio. Personally, I couldn't really tell the difference between the 518s, 598s, and the 650s. Day to day, I use on board sound and Pandora One. I am considering the X1s + E10k + New Cable.

Try the Beyer DT990 if you have chance.

Fidelio X1 should sound close to the HD650 in the big scheme of things.

May 23, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 16
Well, the X1 is an outdated model, go with the X2. I heard that the X2 is fun sounding, more than Sennheiser HD 6x0 and 5x8 series without being incorrect or dull. Ah, and you dont need THAT amp to make it sound properly. It cost $299.

May 23, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 16
Well, the X1 is an outdated model, go with the X2. I heard that the X2 is fun sounding, more than Sennheiser HD 6x0 and 5x8 series without being incorrect or dull. Ah, and you dont need THAT amp to make it sound properly. It cost $299.

Yeah.. I am willing to spend upwards of 300, but I am not an audiophile. Just looking for an upgrade. That is why the X1s made my list.

May 23, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 16
I bought the x2 as my 1st audiophile headphones after reading loads if reviews and I absolutely love them. I even have invested in to a JDS labs c5d which should arrive next week in the hope it makes them even better. (Portable for versatility as I am planning of future buys)

I listen to a lot of different types of music and play PC games, and it really seems a nice all rounder, which is what I was after. Bought a v-moda mic as an addon for voice coms which was a nice bonus for gaming.

For music I can hear things that simply was not there before, the sound stage from them seem very good to my untrained ears.

Admittedly I don't have a lot to compare it too right now (cheap senn gaming headset that broke and a crappy siberia headset, apple ear buds that come with phone, so nothing spectacular). These headphones have really piqued my interest though. I have always enjoyed music but lately I have been listening to more than I have for many years, simply because of how much I enjoy they sound if the x2's.

They build quality is great, maybe a little heavier than I am used to but not to the point it is uncomfortable. I think i payed £180 from a site named after a rain forest, an italian one where they where much cheaper than the uk site.

The only downside is to the bank account as I am now interested in a set of closed cans, a set of iem's and something very neutral sounding...:)

May 23, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 16
I am really torn between the DT990 Pros and the X1s.... I appreciate all the feedback everyone has provided.

You know what the best thing to do is then? Order both from vendors that have good RMA policies. The small "demo" fee of shipping one back after you try them both for a week would be a small price to pay to end up with the one of the two you like best. Plus it's fund to demo nice headphones. Just keep the retail packaging in good shape and the headphones mint. Amazon or fufilled by Amazon (but not 3rd party vendors) has an easy RMA process.

May 23, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 16
You know what the best thing to do is then? Order both from vendors that have good RMA policies. The small "demo" fee of shipping one back after you try them both for a week would be a small price to pay to end up with the one of the two you like best. Plus it's fund to demo nice headphones. Just keep the retail packaging in good shape and the headphones mint. Amazon or fufilled by Amazon (but not 3rd party vendors) has an easy RMA process.

Just too expensive for me to order both. I guess I will take my chances and order the X1s and a cable..

May 23, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 16
  I am really torn between the DT990 Pros and the X1s.... I appreciate all the feedback everyone has provided.

DT990s have crystal clear / upfront treble, slightly aggressive and very energetic presentation.
X1s have darkish, softer treble.

Both have raised mid-bass.

Pretty sure the DT990 surpass the X1 in terms of soundstage.

The right pick is down to preference.

Best Luck!

May 23, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #15 of 16
  DT990s have crystal clear / upfront treble, slightly aggressive and very energetic presentation.
X1s have darkish, softer treble.

Both have raised mid-bass.

Pretty sure the DT990 surpass the X1 in terms of soundstage.

The right pick is down to preference.

Best Luck!

Yeah, I think I am going to go with the X1s. The DT990 sound like they are too bright. I am not a fan of piercing treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back