Looking for new head cans
Mar 20, 2011 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Neongoshi

New Head-Fier
I am on the lookout for new cans, with a budget of roughly around ~100-125 CAD shipped. I dont know much about headphones so I was pointed here by a few friends.

I received some suggestions:

- Sony V700DJ
- Audio Technica ATH-M50
- Sennheiser HD595 (slightly out of budget)
- Shure SRH840 (I can get them for about $100 + shipping through a friend)

What I'm listening mainly on...
- My computer (on-board Realtek sound on my P55A-UD4P motherboard, might get a ~50-75 sound card soon)
- My work computer (HP XW6400's front headphone jack, sound is surprisingly decent, no crackling/static)
- My iPod video 5G 30GB
- My Motorola Milestone (Droid for Americans)

I was thinking about getting the ATH-M50, or the V700DJ with a cheap amp (PA2v2?). Thats the suggestions I received.

I wouldnt mind buying something that costs slightly less with an amp if it can make them sound better than a set of more expensive stuff.

You guys have any suggestions?

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 6
The PA2V2 is good amp and will have the power to drive a good pr. of phones, and Gary is a great guy. Another set of phones to look into are the Grados, the SR60i, 80 or 125. I think You could get 60 or the 80's in the range You are stating. These are over the ear phones, so You will to figure out what type that You will be most comfortable with (in ear, on ear, etc). If You can be patient save up some more and do some research to find what is best for You. Good Luck!

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 6
thanks for the suggestion, the Grados up here are rather costly, and Im not personally liking their style.

Any other suggestions? Im kinda growing tired of my Droid's earphones as they are starting to pop in my ears for some reason. :frowning2:

So far I think the Shure SRH840 are the best prices ones I could get but Id like some more ideas before pulling the trigger as I plan on keeping them for a while and dont want to make a bad choice.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 6
Other phones You could look at are Fischer Audio FA-003 $150.-$200. if You wait and save some more also look at Sennheiser HD580 or maybe HD600 and compare them to the Shure SRH-840's. I do not think You would go wrong with either choice but that is Your call. Also take a look under the forum section, cursor over the arrow and click on For Sale/Trade forums. It frusrating at times, do Your homework and lock in what is going to work for You. 
L3000.gif

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 6
First you should state what are you listening to, if you like more neutral or more colored sound.

It seems to be a general idea that the V700DJ aren't that good of a purchase, while ATH-M50 is quite good, even more when running from a PA2V2.

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 6
I listen to alot of stuff, can go from rap to electronica (I like Deadmau5 alot), rock, metal, punk... all that surrounding.

I ended up getting a set of ATH-A700 from Amazon for $150 shipped to Canada, but I am still wondering if I should get the Shure SRH840 instead of them (for $100 + shipping), and sell the A700s locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back