Looking for new full-size, open headphones - need help choosing between all the suggestions
Jan 4, 2013 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Arbakadarba

New Head-Fier
I have been looking for a new set of headphones for a while, and have received a lot of suggestions. I have already excluded some, but there is still a good bunch to choose from.

I will use my headphones mainly for music, but they will also be used for movies. I prefer detailed, clear and defined sound with good instrument seperation. Total flat and analytical sound signature is not needed; I am listening to music, not analyzing it. However, I do not want overpowering bass.

As of now I am using HD25 II as my main portable headphone, and I am very satisfied, but I am sure it can be even better when portability are out of the picture.

The headphones I have been considering with prices in my country:
Beyerdynamic DT880 pro 250 ohm ($380)
Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohm ($270)
Sennheiser HD600 ($430)
Sennheiser HD650 ($450)
Hifiman HE-400  ($500...I think)
AKG K701/Q701 ($470)
AKG K242 HD ($180)

I really would like to stay under $400, so that excludes some of them, but if they are that much better I will always find some money. My main concern is persuading my partner into believing that headphones are the best way to spend our money.

To power these I am thinking of buying Fiio E10 as it is the only locally available amplifier in my price range.

Other suggestions are also welcome, but I think these are the only one available in my country (except the Hifiman) and if I want to order from abroad I have to pay 25% taxes, some customs fee (about $20 - $30) and of course shipping.

Thank you...

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 6
The pro version has a stronger clamp and a little less sound stage which is good considering you will be watching movies.

Andre

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #6 of 6
They do not sell Hifiman in my country so I will have to order them from abroad. That means 25% extra in taxes + customs handling fee and shipping. All the prices I have mentioned are either lowest price available in my country or prices from amazon + taxes and shipping.

So as you can see; I live in a country with high prices and low selection. And english was never my strong side at school...if that is how the price confusion occurred...

Thank you, shiorisekine. I think I will go for the pro. They are also a lot easier to find at local stores, so maybe I can even try them before purchasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back