1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for new full-size, open headphones - need help choosing between all the suggestions

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by arbakadarba, Jan 4, 2013.
  1. Arbakadarba
    I have been looking for a new set of headphones for a while, and have received a lot of suggestions. I have already excluded some, but there is still a good bunch to choose from.

I will use my headphones mainly for music, but they will also be used for movies. I prefer detailed, clear and defined sound with good instrument seperation. Total flat and analytical sound signature is not needed; I am listening to music, not analyzing it. However, I do not want overpowering bass.

As of now I am using HD25 II as my main portable headphone, and I am very satisfied, but I am sure it can be even better when portability are out of the picture.

The headphones I have been considering with prices in my country:
    Beyerdynamic DT880 pro 250 ohm ($380)
    Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohm ($270)
    Sennheiser HD600 ($430)
    Sennheiser HD650 ($450)
    Hifiman HE-400  ($500...I think)
    AKG K701/Q701 ($470)
    AKG K242 HD ($180)

I really would like to stay under $400, so that excludes some of them, but if they are that much better I will always find some money. My main concern is persuading my partner into believing that headphones are the best way to spend our money.

To power these I am thinking of buying Fiio E10 as it is the only locally available amplifier in my price range.

Other suggestions are also welcome, but I think these are the only one available in my country (except the Hifiman) and if I want to order from abroad I have to pay 25% taxes, some customs fee (about $20 - $30) and of course shipping.

Thank you...

2. MalVeauX
    Heya,

The E10 can handle 250ohm Beyers just fine. I would go for the DT880 250ohm with the E10. Great combo.

Very best,

Arbakadarba likes this.
  3. Arbakadarba
    Thank you.

Are there any difference between the pro and the non-pro version? Looks like the pro version har much better availability, but the prices are the same.

4. shiorisekine Contributor
    The pro version has a stronger clamp and a little less sound stage which is good considering you will be watching movies.

Andre

Arbakadarba likes this.
  5. beaver316
    Hifiman HE-400 is $400 not $500 like you mention.

6. Arbakadarba
    They do not sell Hifiman in my country so I will have to order them from abroad. That means 25% extra in taxes + customs handling fee and shipping. All the prices I have mentioned are either lowest price available in my country or prices from amazon + taxes and shipping.

So as you can see; I live in a country with high prices and low selection. And english was never my strong side at school...if that is how the price confusion occurred...

Thank you, shiorisekine. I think I will go for the pro. They are also a lot easier to find at local stores, so maybe I can even try them before purchasing.