Looking for new DIY Amplifier Build with HD580 Synergy
Dec 9, 2008 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bmwpowere36m3

100+ Head-Fier
Hey DIY'ers,

Yea I'm back and looking to build another amplifier upon recently completing my Millet "SS" Hybrid and earlier CMoY. I'm looking for the next step up in amplifier beyond the "SS" and a good "synergy" with Senn HD580's.

I like the warmth and soundstage of the Millet, but I want an amp with more bass and bass CONTROL. The warmth the tubes bring I really enjoy, but I need a little more punch and maybe high-end clarity...

I think I'd like to stick with a tube-based amplifier, but I'm not set yet. I was thinking something along the lines of a SOHA II or BIJOU, etc... I'd like this next build to really be something... not just a step up from the "SS", but a worthwhile build but nothing over the top. From my understand the SOHA II delivers sound quality similar to the Bijou at more of a bang for the buck value.

Anyway, this was some characteristics I was looking for when purchasing a set of phones, so maybe it would help my "needs":

Music:
  1. Metallica, BLS, Sabbath, AC/DC, Seether
  2. Led Zep, Pink Floyd, GnR, Rolling Stones
  3. AIC, Pantera, Deftones, In Flames

Sound:
  1. Head-Direct RE2 "Like" with more tight bass
  2. Wide Soundstage
  3. Neutral/Slightly Warm Sounding
  4. Tight Bass, w/ attack but NO head pounders'

Thanks!

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 18
cmoy > starving student > bijou? SOHAII? > ??

Face it dude, you're going to end up with a $2k amp. Might as well bite now.

Sorry about your wallet.

biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass control? Have you considered the M^3? You can find it here:

The M³ Stereo Headphone Amplifier

It's solid state, but it has a nice bass control and the active ground is terrific.

Yes, Bass Control, while I think the "SS" has it's share of bass it's not very well controlled. Or not 'tight', but a little sloppy and boomy. I want something with great tight bass, attack, and warmth.

So far I'm hearing PPA and M3, I'd like to have this amp carry over when I feel the urge to jump to HD650, RS1's phones. I want to build something that is a worthy upgrade or step up from my current selection.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyMac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cmoy > starving student > bijou? SOHAII? > ??

Face it dude, you're going to end up with a $2k amp. Might as well bite now.

Sorry about your wallet.

biggrin.gif

Maybe so but I'd like to travel that journy and not jump there.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far I'm hearing PPA and M3, I'd like to have this amp carry over when I feel the urge to jump to HD650, RS1's phones. I want to build something that is a worthy upgrade or step up from my current selection.

Are you suggesting those amps aren't worthy of better headphones? If so I would really disagree. Many people here have used and enjoyed those amps with the headphones you mention.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 18
SOHA II will give you the most flexibility, since you can roll a raft of different tubes. Note my sig, and where I have been - SOHA II is a great choices in tubes for Senn.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 18
the ppa series or pimeta can be adapted or a bass control and its almost a no-cost item the way the topology works out.

I would have recommended the ppa but with last nite's build of a pimeta its now my preferred amp (the size being part of it, I think). ppa is nice but I LOVE the efficiency of the pimeta design and it drives my 580's JUST FINE!

3094278367_629e7cf539.jpg

I love this amp!!

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 18
Not going to discredit tube amps but bass control is generally a SS or hybrid thing.

What is your budget? The B22 is a good contender for bass control and neutrality. Better yet if you go with a balanced B22. The cost won't go below (and with a lot of luck) 600-700$ for SE and 1100$ balanced.

If going hybrid I think the SOHA II would be fine and way less costly but probably not as transparent as the B22.

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you suggesting those amps aren't worthy of better headphones? If so I would really disagree. Many people here have used and enjoyed those amps with the headphones you mention.

Not at all, I was just restating the mentioned amps and adding what other future headphones I'd like the amp to go well with. Along the lines of SS maybe a CKIII?

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SOHA II will give you the most flexibility, since you can roll a raft of different tubes. Note my sig, and where I have been - SOHA II is a great choices in tubes for Senn.

How does your SOHA II compare to the Bijou, even though it's balanced?

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 18
I will have Bijou...if I ever get off my lazy ass and build it, and of course finding the time. I have all the parts sitting in a box, but the build is not run of the mill....all mkp caps including output.

have ssmh, soha2, ck2iii as well. ssmh is a low point/entry level, decent for diy, but not in the same league (IMO) as ck2III. soha2 betters the ck2III. ck2III is very nice and is a step above the ssmh in more ways than one (dynalo as well betters the ssmh, but colder). soha2 is nicer, richer in tone and texture. a tube roll can get you very warm to col.d

bass on ssmh is soft and not as present. upper treble is soft as well.

both ck2iii and soha2 would be a step up.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 18
Interesting topic bmwpowere36m3. I'm in a similar situation.

I love my MHSS, but I'm trying to figure out what the next project will be. I'm going to be building at least 2 more MHSS's. A co-worker really wants one now that he has heard mine. I want to make myself one for work, so I'm building two of them with a DAC inside and maybe an improved power supply. So basically they will be headphone amps with a USB plug on the back. We both would prefer to use Foobar as the source. I'd also like to build the PS inside the case so I can use a standard PC power cord and hopefully clean up the power a bit.

After those though, I want to build a higher quality amp for home. I'll be following your thread to see where you end up
popcorn.gif

One difference though is I'm getting my 650s soon. I have a bonus coming in a couple weeks that I'm probably going to spend on a pair
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf18t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not going to discredit tube amps but bass control is generally a SS or hybrid thing.

What is your budget? The B22 is a good contender for bass control and neutrality. Better yet if you go with a balanced B22. The cost won't go below (and with a lot of luck) 600-700$ for SE and 1100$ balanced.

If going hybrid I think the SOHA II would be fine and way less costly but probably not as transparent as the B22.

You can manage a balanced B22 for under 1000 without much trouble. My build so far is running ~750CAD, with 2 PSU boards and 2 150VA trafos, but no volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back