Looking for mid-range IEMs with a sound similar to Grados
Jul 10, 2008 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Daveed84

100+ Head-Fier
I need something for work use, as my Grado SR225s obviously aren't the best for use in the office.

So here's my very tall order:

1. Price must be no greater than $200, though if the price is truly justified, I could stretch my budget to $250.
2. They must be easy to insert and remove quickly.
3. They should be easy enough to be powered straight out of my iPod Classic -- which, given the inherent qualities of low impedance IEMs, shouldn't be too difficult a task.
4. Bass at LEAST as nice as the SR80s is a must.

Additionally, the retailer I buy them from should allow me to return them if I don't like them! Unfortunately online ordering is my only choice as there are no places near me where I can try before I buy.

As a side note, it's not absolutely necessary that they sound like Grados... I guess I'm just looking for something familiar sounding is all.

I've tried the Super.fi 5 Pros and did not like them at all. I've had my eye on the Future Sonics Atrio m5/m8, but I keep reading mixed reviews. And IEMs like the ER6is are out of the question as I'm not too keen on the whole "you have to replace the filters" thing.

So, am I S.O.L.? Does such an IEM exist? Am I describing the Holy Grail of IEMs?

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 18
It looks like the Crossroads Mylar XBi might fit your bill, although they're way under your budget. As for returning, you might want to contact the supplier (Jaben) first. For the price you can afford to try them anyway.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 18
Interesting suggestion, but I'm not sure if I trust those. I'd probably be a lot more comfortable with a brand name I'm familiar with.

Any other suggestions? How do Shures fare? I may give the SE210s a shot to see how they are.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #4 of 18
I recently bought and returned a pair of the SE210 – I didn't care for the sound of them. I got the Ety Er4P instead but I have owned Ety before so I like the sound and replacing the drivers is not a big deal. My other headphone is the SR80 (which I really like) so it's possible that you may like the Ety's as well. I ordered mine from B&H Photo and I believe they have a good return policy but I've never had to return anything to them. There are other online retailers that had cheaper prices but B&H is pretty trustworthy.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 18
I'd probably jump right on the Etymotic train if it weren't for the filters I've read about that need to be replaced. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find out how long these filters usually last -- and at the someone high cost of replacing them (like $15?), I'd tolerate doing it no more than maybe once every 6 months. I've ruled out the SE210s as I'm convinced they would sound like crap, so now I'm strongly leaning towards the Atrio m5 or maybe even the SA6 if it's simple enough for me to use. I'm just kind of nervous about how different the m5s will sound to my ears now that I've fallen in love with the Grado sound...

Jul 11, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 18
are sr-60s bright-sounding headphones? i haven't had one before. but i have a bright-sounding pleasing in-ear earphone. denon ah-c351.

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 18
Bearing in mind I have only just got my ER6i's so have still to fully get used to it's sound signature I would say that if you like Grado sound you would like Etymotic! I have SR325i's and find the resolution and attention to detail are similar in both.

I find the bass on the ety's to be very accurate(it may sound lacking but once you get used to it you realize it is only lacking in bloatedness and not detail.

For instance, I was listnening to Loreena Mckennit live at the Alhambra last night, I find her recordings to be beautifully put together, she uses all acoustic instruments, the sound was rich and warm yet at the same time full of detail on the ety's, very similar to the grado I think.

I then went on to another favorite, Fatboy slim, At once the more proccesed sound became apparent and quite frankly less acceptible(one good thing about the standard IEM's that come with most players I find is that they hide this, I often wonder considering the target audience of these players is that is what is intended!)

If you like a slightly veiled sound, one in which you don't get the full detail then I would say the Ety's would not be for you.
I have to say this though as I think it important.

In years of listening to fairly high end hifi once you get used to having detail and truth in what comes from your source and speakers/headphones it is very hard to go back to that veiled sound. The Ety's have that rare thing, a combination of all the important factors in reproducing sound and the ability to involve the listener fully in the emotion of the music, I ended up listening till 4 in the morning, rediscovering detail and emotion in tracks I had not heard before in my other come with the player IEM'S! Is'nt that what it's all about?

At this price point I would think you would have to go a long way to find better than the ER6i's but that is just me, the great thing about this hobby is that we are all different and get enjoyment in different ways, no right or wrong, just different approaches!
Hope that helps!

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 18
What is an example of an earphone with veiled sound?

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 18
I got to listen to a pair of q-jays and thought they were balanced and smooth sounding. Not sure how they compare to grados unfortunately but I thought the q-jays tiny size and great sound my be the ticket for you.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is an example of an earphone with veiled sound?

For me that would be anything that Bose makes, the standard in ear headphones that come with players(sony are better than most I think but still not great!)
I tried a pair of maxels once and those hid quite a bit of detail, well it was there but not really defined! Imagine looking through a window then looking through the same window but with net curtains(sheers I think they are called in the US!)That is what I am on about!

Of course I think most equipment puts a sonic signature onto the music, I guess it is what sort of signature you prefer! As i said at the end of my original post this is all very individual and what one person thinks is perfect another may hate!

I remember when I first got into HIFI I was lucky enough to find a great dealer who just sat me down and let me listen to everything, in the end I ended up with what sounded best to me and not him, though he did use his expertise to guide me and that educated me on things I have not known about.
To put my comments into context, I prefer a sound that emphasizes the human voice and non electronic instruments above everything else. That for me gets my emotional involvement going!

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 18
Actually, I have a far more important question, regarding the ever important "fit" that I keep reading about. I own a really crappy pair of Sony EX51LPs. They're like a more pricey version of the JVC Gummis, basically. Those you just have to slip into you ear, easy in, easy out. How far exactly do nice IEMs have to go into your ear? Deeper than that? Removing them quickly and easily is very important for me since I need to get up from my desk to perform other functions every few minutes or so. I think that'll be my biggest issue and could very well be a dealbreaker for several different brands of 'phones.

Jul 12, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #12 of 18
All iems go in i think. canal phones dont?

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 18
Any more opinions?

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 18
sleek audio 6s were/are on sale last I heard. usually 250, down to 200. Is that deal at earphone solutions? Anyway don't quote me but with them you can adjust the signature so for gradois maybe +treble and leave the bass alone.

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 18
What about iGrado's? I know they are not IEMs but have the SR60 signature (same driver I believe). There is a mod you can do to them to open em up a bit more.

pink

Users who are viewing this thread

Back