Looking for ksc75 in a closed form.
Dec 17, 2007 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

r0teiro

New Head-Fier
I have a ksc75 and a k81dj and prefer the sound of the koss more. It just lets me get into my music more. So, I'd like something that sounds like the koss, possibly even better, but in a sound isolating headphone. It could be iem types or over the head or whatever. Not looking to spend much at all (compared to you guys), probably around $80, what would you recommend?

Dec 17, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 12
What I like most from the KSC75 is that fun and very airy sound. It is very hard to replicate that airiness in a closed form. The RP21 although very good, IMO is a little cold and neutral to be called a fun sound.

Probably you can look into the fun and toe-tapping closed headphones and IEMs. I've never heard any of these, but ES7 and C700 are often described as fun-sounding, too bad they are both ~$100.

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 12
I think there was someone selling a pair of ksc75's modded into a closed sony enslosure? otherwise, i also reccomend the rp-21.

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 12
If the RP21 does not fit your bill, buying an enclosure, fitting the drivers inside and then carefully dampening it until the sound is right, is one of the more fun ways to go. That is, if you don't mind a little bit of DIY.

Dec 17, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 12
the dome backed ksc75 drivers dont take as well to closed cups as the flat backed drivers found in the ksc35, portapro, and sportapro. It does appear however that the drivers will clip right into the sony md v150 (not sure about the model #, but its the cheap black one they sell everywhere). If you want to i'd go ahead and get ahold of some flatback koss drivers (sportapro is your cheapest bet), get some recabling done and drop them into those sony housings. this is what i was planning on doing when i get the time.

Dec 17, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the dome backed ksc75 drivers dont take as well to closed cups as the flat backed drivers found in the ksc35, portapro, and sportapro. It does appear however that the drivers will clip right into the sony md v150 (not sure about the model #, but its the cheap black one they sell everywhere). If you want to i'd go ahead and get ahold of some flatback koss drivers (sportapro is your cheapest bet), get some recabling done and drop them into those sony housings. this is what i was planning on doing when i get the time.

Other phones that work really well for this purpose, are the occasional Coby, the Sennheiser HD201, etc. I feel the HD201 makes a better enclosure than the Sony MDR V150, but it may cost a bit more off hand. If you're handy with a drill as well, you can buy some really good earmuff protectors and use them too.

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 12
can someone give me a quick sound comparison on the difference between the akg k 81 dj and the rp21 and the es7? which is more comfortable? which isolates better?

also, i like my music to be presented "together", more like the ksc75 than the k 81 dj. i don't know the correct terms, but I think it may be sound stage or instrument separation. I know those are usually good things that people want, but it's just not as enjoyable to me when one instrument's sound is coming from different places. For example, I dislike songs that don't have crossfeeding going on through the headphones too.

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #10 of 12
so you like an upfront sound? or you would prefer to listen to dual mono tracks? i havent listened to the rp21/es7 enough to comment so i wont though i'm sure there are people and threads here that can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back