Looking for IEM under $200
Jul 27, 2018 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SikkNazty

Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I'm currently in search of an IEM that is an all-around great product for various types of music and is an improvement from my experience with the two ~$80 IEM's. Although I will say I mostly listen to electronic and hip-hop, I do have a good selection of classical, rock, metal, and country that I will dabble into. I do like good bass that has an impact, but I'm not in a huge need for something to completely slam my ears while sacrificing detail in the mid and high frequencies. Currently I'm using a Fiio X5 as my audio source with a Fiio E12 Mont Blanc amp.

Here's a few products I've owned and what I think about them, maybe this might help people give suggestions/recommendations:

- OSTRY KC06A (IEM): I found these honestly pretty great! The bass went deep enough for me and had a decent amount of impact. Mids were just about where I wanted them, nothing too forward so my rock collection didn't cause any fatigue. Trebles were decent, but nothing to write home about. Although I expect an IEM for double (or more) of the KC06A's will have better performance and detail.

- Massdrop x NuForce EDC IEM: I mainly got these because of their durability. These are what I take with me on trips and when I go downhill skiing. They sound not too bad, but I feel as if the mids are way too far forward for my taste. The bass is okay, it just drops off way sooner than I'd like (sub bass is lacking). Trebles were extremely recessed to my ears and needed to boost this range. I really had to EQ these with a very harsh V shape on my Fiio X5 while using the high gain setting (usually I don't need much EQ'ing). But even after EQing I find them to be quite "dry".

- Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro: My cream of the crop paired with the SMSL M6 dac. Sure, it's a full-sized headphone but the sound signature is something I hope to find in an IEM. This is what I use on my computer while listening to music or playing games. I understand that a $200 IEM is unlikely to touch the quality of these. But maybe there's something that's similar to them in IEM form that I could get for $200 or less. Bass is almost where I want it, although I boosted the 30-50hz range by ~4 dbs. Mid range is exactly where I want it. I do find them a bit bright on the trebles, only had to lower the 10khz-16khz range ~4 dbs. Here is my review on the Dekoni Velour Ear Pads with the DT 1770, which also shows the exact EQing I've done.

IEM's I've read a bit about and are considering:
- Mee M7 Pro
- HiFi Boy OS V3
- Shure 315

I know this is was a long read for a recommendation post, but I thank you kindly for making it this far! I felt I would give as much information right up front that would allow people to give better recommendations and not need to ask questions to get more information before suggesting IEMs. I hope people will share their knowledge and experience because I'm sure most, if not everyone here, have heard a large number of IEM's than I have.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 13
iBasso IT01. Only 99 bucks but punches way, way above its price-point in performance. Worth a read.

Wow, I was reading up on the IT03 before your post which is sadly out of my price range. Idk how I didn't see a suggestion or related link to the IT01 when reading IT03 reviews. But the IT01 sounds very inviting to buy!

I'm going to hopefully try and find some direct comparisons to the ones I was already considering:
- Mee M7 Pro
- HiFi Boy OS V3
- Shure 315

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 13
Worth thinking about brainwavz b400 and ue900s (next time its on massdrop) at this price too

Jul 29, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 13
Worth thinking about brainwavz b400 and ue900s (next time its on massdrop) at this price too

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm a little worrisome about the UE900s after reading reviews and how the build quality and materials UE have used for that particular IEM don't feel premium or up to par for an IEM that had an MSRP of $400, and even still for a $200 price point. :frowning2:

But the Brainwavz B400 are a contender to change my mind from buying the iBasso IT01's. Although the IT01's seem to have more sub-bass than the B400 (according to reviews) and then cable seems to be one of the best for $100-$300 IEM's on the market. Plus the IT01 is almost half the price of the B400. Does the B400 provide much more sound quality than the IT01 to warrant an extra $80?

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 13
I've never heard the it01 so can't make a fair comparison!

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 13
Wow, I was reading up on the IT03 before your post which is sadly out of my price range. Idk how I didn't see a suggestion or related link to the IT01 when reading IT03 reviews. But the IT01 sounds very inviting to buy!

I'm going to hopefully try and find some direct comparisons to the ones I was already considering:
- Mee M7 Pro
- HiFi Boy OS V3
- Shure 315

Hi SikkNazty,

I second @serman005, IT 01 is perhaps among the best value for its price & my most consistently used daily.

Also iBasso customer service is top notch !

Jul 29, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 13
Well I guess the overwhelming recommendations for the IT01 here and the sound descriptions from reviews align nicely with what I'm looking for in an IEM. Plus it's half the price of my budget, so can't go too wrong with saving 50% of my money! I'll be ordering a pair of the IT01's in black tomorrow and will give my feedback after a few days of using them. Thanks for the help everyone!

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 13
- Massdrop x NuForce EDC IEM: I mainly got these because of their durability. These are what I take with me on trips and when I go downhill skiing. They sound not too bad, but I feel as if the mids are way too far forward for my taste. The bass is okay, it just drops off way sooner than I'd like (sub bass is lacking). Trebles were extremely recessed to my ears and needed to boost this range. I really had to EQ these with a very harsh V shape on my Fiio X5 (usually I don't need much EQ'ing). But even after EQing I find them to be quite "dry".

Out of curiosity, did you mean the EDC3? The standard EDC is supposedly v-shaped while the EDC3 is more neutral/warm, with recessed treble and forward mids...from what I've read about them.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 13
Out of curiosity, did you mean the EDC3? The standard EDC is supposedly v-shaped while the EDC3 is more neutral/warm, with recessed treble and forward mids...from what I've read about them.

Nope, I have the standard EDC. Maybe I'm just used to a more extreme V-shaped sound profile? Idk haha! I mainly listen to my Beyerdynamic DT1770 on the SMSL M6 dac, boosting bass by ~4dbs and decreasing high trebles by ~4dbs. This is while using Dekoni Velour earpads, which push my ears further from the driver, causing a decrease in bass and a boost in trebles so my EQing counters that result.

EDIT: My mistake, I rechecked my EQ settings on my X5 for the standard EDCs. I have a slight bassboost of 1dbs. They certainly have bass (not basshead quantity though), but it rolls off very fast around 45hz and then its almost non-existent lower than 40hz. The trebles are very recessed though. I kid you not I have these boosted at 16khz by 8dbs and 10khz by 4dbs. lol Maybe I have hearing damage from all the concerts I used to go to a few years back? :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back