Looking for ideas to create a transportable « rack » desktop amp/dac kit through the house
Feb 8, 2022 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Loftprojection

500+ Head-Fier
Hey folks, I know this is not an amp specific topic so if it is not ok to post it here then please kindly say so and I’ll delete the thread.

I’m wondering if anyone has created/bought somekind of small rack to transport their amp/dac through the house? My desktop amp and DAC are not too big but they sit on my work desk. Sometimes I would like to sit in the living room and listen to good sound. I usually take my portable Sony Walkman to do so but the desktop kit has a much nicer sound so if I could easily move it around it would be slick.

Feb 8, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 11
That's an interesting question. Does your amp run very hot? Which one is it? I see you have three listed.

Feb 8, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 11
This is my solution at the working desk:
A2D478BD-C3D4-442A-9D53-AE9929FF6ADC.jpeg

and around the house:
84C0930E-9FA7-486C-98CA-47458DE9C5F1.png
CHORD Hugo 2 on a stand, with a magnetic charging cable. When I want to listen somewhere else I just take the stand with me.

Feb 8, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 11
That's an interesting question. Does your amp run very hot? Which one is it? I see you have three listed.
I have a Unison Research SH tube amp, an MHDT Orchid DAC and Bluesound transport. The amp need a bit of air on top but is not as bad as tube amps with very big bottles and the tubes are not exposed. All 3 equipment are about the size of a sheet of paper but obviously ticker! Hahaha.

So I was thinking about making somekind of small rack with a top « handle » but I thought maybe some here might have interesting and creative ideas to share!

Another option would be to buy an « all in one » like the Naim Unity Atom HE and just run around with it in the house but I’m afraid to loose the tube sound signature I love.

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 11
you can consider something like this
It was my original plan but I ended up I acquire more gear. then I removed the wheels and just have a rack stand next to my working station.

Also I have a Red Wine Audio Bellina Pro Battery Powered Tube DAC AMP that I am thinking of selling. Not sure if you are interested...

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Do you have to go up and down stairs? If not maybe a nice rolling cart made for liquor would work.
Hahaha double duty rolling cart! Would be a great idea unfortunately yes, work desk upstairs and sofa downstairs! Liquor and stairs not compatible! Hahaha

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 11
Not that I've done it, but I always had the thought of customizing a pelican style case to do this.

So essentially drill holes in the plastic where you need to pull power, access pot, etc. If they don't run hot, you essentially just pop the lid open, hook up phones, and go.

Foam to protect the gear, and cutouts wherever you need. Heat is the only concern I had.

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 11
Get a 4u or 6u rack soft bag...
Mount units on universal rack shelfs. Get a rack mount power supply so only one plug for everything when you move it? Something like that wouldn't be to nuts to move again and again. Rack bag has shoulder strap for carrying and they're padded incase it taps something around the house when carrying it.

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #10 of 11
Get a 4u or 6u rack soft bag...
Mount units on universal rack shelfs. Get a rack mount power supply so only one plug for everything when you move it? Something like that wouldn't be to nuts to move again and again. Rack bag has shoulder strap for carrying and they're padded incase it taps something around the house when carrying it.

Interesting but ideally I’d like it to be cosmetically nice looking. My amp has a nice wood finish in front, probably the best would be to build myself a small wood rack with a handle on top and yes a small audio power bar. I thought some people here would already have made such a thing but may be I’m the only freak in the house! Haha

Thanks for your ideas anyway. Here is a pic of my equipment, the tarket amp for the transportable rack is the one on the bottom left plus the Orchid/Blusound on the right.

Attachments

• 1345E024-0E22-4463-9D4D-F5440A7EEB57.jpeg
    1345E024-0E22-4463-9D4D-F5440A7EEB57.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 14, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #11 of 11
Interesting but ideally I’d like it to be cosmetically nice looking. My amp has a nice wood finish in front, probably the best would be to build myself a small wood rack with a handle on top and yes a small audio power bar. I thought some people here would already have made such a thing but may be I’m the only freak in the house! Haha

Thanks for your ideas anyway. Here is a pic of my equipment, the tarket amp for the transportable rack is the one on the bottom left plus the Orchid/Blusound on the right.

I’m actually in the process of moving my setup to a 10U rack. My Furman Elite-15 PFI is mountable, everything else will go on shelves. Mine isn’t designed to be portable but you can customize these with casters and/or handles on the side, and choose the finish to match your amp. If you plan on moving it often you may need clamp bars to keep the equipment in place.

Here is where I’m getting mine from, Louis was extremely helpful and is willing to customize based on needs. If his rack doesn’t fit the bill there are others on Etsy that would.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/819708227/studio-rack-hairpin-legs-free?ref=yr_purchases

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back