onkyo ES-HF300(S)
harman kardon CL
audio techinica ath-m50
sennheiser hd518
grado sr80e
JVC esnsy HA-SR85S-B
creative aurvana live!
akg k240

i dont care if its open or closed back type as long as it sounds good. soundstage is my most priority. and it must be good all-rounder for music and movies. which headphone listed above are my best choice regardless of the price. im open to other suggestions. my budget is strictly $150. 

edit: i dont mind buying an amp if its needed. my budget for an amp is $100

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 15
Karmon CL and grados are on ear and wouldn't be comfortable for long movies (not without aftermarket pads for grados)

Soundstage is better on the K240s than M50s because they're open I'd say overall SQ is better as well.  

I assume these would be your first pair of "quality" headphones?  The K240s would be a great starting point, although they the bass presence isn't very strong (you might be a bit disappointed if you listen to a lot of hip hop or badly mastered stuff)  They'll work fine for home use but they're not at all ideal for mobile use.  

You might want to look into the AD700x/AD900x as well if they're strictly for in home use.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 15
Well this would be my fourth headphone. I have the koss portapro, vmoda xs and sony xba10 for portable use.and now im looking for something i can use for long listening sessions indoors. How about the akg k142 ? Do you have an idea if that headphone suits my needs?

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 15
I think i have read somewhere that the grados are not known for good soundstage. But do you think it can match the soundstage of the k240 if i mod it? I dont have an idea on how to mod it though. Im just paying someone to do it for me.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 15
  hi! im looking for a can usually for home-use. here are my lists:

onkyo ES-HF300(S)
harman kardon CL
audio techinica ath-m50
sennheiser hd518
grado sr80e
JVC esnsy HA-SR85S-B
creative aurvana live!
akg k240

i dont care if its open or closed back type as long as it sounds good. soundstage is my most priority. and it must be good all-rounder for music and movies. which headphone listed above are my best choice regardless of the price. im open to other suggestions. my budget is strictly $150. 

edit: i dont mind buying an amp if its needed. my budget for an amp is $100

Soundstage? The Superlux HD668B or Samson SR850 are pretty much unbeatable below $150, even if these two aren't even over $100 themselves. Both require a strong source or an amp though.

If we're going strictly by your list, it's the AKG K240, Senn HD518, then the CAL! (preferably CAL! 2). Never heard the Onkyo HF300 before, so I can't comment on that.

P.S. I don't know why you even included the ATH-M50 in the list. They're one of the last things to be mentioned if soundstage is the priority.

Quoting Joker:
The Superlux HD668B has been praised plenty as of late, and all I can do is just heap it on – for the asking price, the headphone is an incredible performer for those who put resolution and clarity above all else. If there’s anything questionable about these, it is their portability– while they don’t look as bulky as my AKG monitors, come with a portable-length cable, and play nice with battery-powered sources, they are still full-size cans that don’t fold and really aren’t built to be crammed in a bag. For portable use, the similarly-priced Beyer DT235s may be a better choice with a well-balanced sound signature. For use at home, the HD668Bs sits atop the competition.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 15
  Soundstage? The Superlux HD668B or Samson SR850 are pretty much unbeatable below $150, even if these two aren't even over $100 themselves. Both require a strong source or an amp though.

If we're going strictly by your list, it's the AKG K240, Senn HD518, then the CAL! (preferably CAL! 2). Never heard the Onkyo HF300 before, so I can't comment on that.

P.S. I don't know why you even included the ATH-M50 in the list. They're one of the last things to be mentioned if soundstage is the priority.

Quoting Joker:

CAL!2 ? is it good on soundstage ? ive heard its very bassy ? 

akg k240 vs senn hd518 ? which one you think is more suitable for me ? is the earpads on the k240 and hd518 compatible with each other? i forgot to mention that i want an headphone that has some after market earpads and cables that are easy to find. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #10 of 15
  CAL!2 ? is it good on soundstage ? ive heard its very bassy ? 

akg k240 vs senn hd518 ? which one you think is more suitable for me ? is the earpads on the k240 and hd518 compatible with each other? i forgot to mention that i want an headphone that has some after market earpads and cables that are easy to find. 

The CAL! 2 is bassy, but it has good depth and clarity for closed phones. They're obviously no match for the K240 or HD518 because the CAL! 2 is closed.

The HD 518 and K240 have different pads. I'd get the AKG in terms of aftermarket "parts", but honestly the HD668B/SR850 will still beat them in terms of soundstage, and the HD668B/SR850 are compatible with AKG K240 pads. The HD668B does have a removable cable though, so I'd take it over the SR850.

If you really want ridiculous soundstage, get the HD668B. They trounce everything on your list in that regard. If you're willing to spend a bit more, get the AKG K601.

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #13 of 15
If they were I would've mentioned them already. The Grados are straight-forward and in the face. They're not known for their soundstage.

Are Superluxes not available where you live?

the superluxes are available here. the problem is, if i will spend about $50 on the superlux, i would have just buy the k240 for $68. and also,  i dont trust the headband on the 668b. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 15
the superluxes are available here. the problem is, if i will spend about $50 on the superlux, i would have just buy the k240 for $68. and also,  i dont trust the headband on the 668b. 

So you're brand conscious then. Pity. Anyway, the K240 is the best choice on your list. Just know that the HD668B will trounce it in terms of soundstage.

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #15 of 15
Well this would be my fourth headphone. I have the koss portapro, vmoda xs and sony xba10 for portable use.and now im looking for something i can use for long listening sessions indoors. How about the akg k142 ? Do you have an idea if that headphone suits my needs?

I would go for HD558. They can be had for $130 on amazon. Great soundstage. I can say that they sound a lot like my HD650's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back