LOOKING FOR HIPHOP HEADPHONES
Aug 4, 2011 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Marvelous

New Head-Fier
I listen to hip hop, rap, soul, and dubstep. I also produce hip hop music and I was looking for a pair of headphones with good sound quality under $300. Any help is appreciated.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 19
I like a more balanced can rather then a bass can for rap/hip hop

Shure 940 - best pick
MDR-7509HD - Next and best under $200
Senn HD25-1 ii - not so much, but loved by DJ

Go Shure 940 because they don't need a amp, and I think it does pretty good for all you genres

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 19
would you classify yourself as a basshead?/how much experience have you had with headphones i.e. will these be your first pair of serious phones?

(i don't want to sound condescending but i just want an idea of what kind of bass you are used to hearing)

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
these would my first pairs and i do like bass on my headphones but i don't want it do overpower the other sounds

You don't know what bass is until your first Pro900

But a balanced can like I listed will give you more bass then you will need.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 19
You shouldn't produce with a headphone that exaggerates the bass like the Pro 900, if you mix it to sound good on your headphones, it won't have enough bass on a neutral system. I would go with a balanced headphone that can reproduce deep bass without exaggerating it much like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or even a Sennheiser HD280 or 380 Pro (these Senns might have too little bass, though)

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 19
You could check out the Denon AH-D2000 or the Sony XB series.

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 19
DT-990 and DT-770 are great. Pro versions (250ohm) sacrifice very, very little for a big cost savings and they're more durable as well. Very comfortable. DT-990 are open, DT-770 are closed, both can bring the tonality you're likely after for hip-hop.

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 19
It's great if someone has done a search, done some research and gotten some ideas and then makes a thread with more specific questions that can't be found that way.  But asking something this generic without anything specific at all isn't that great for anyone including the OP.  Most people who know anything won't answer because they're sick of answering this same question over and over.  So the OP will find more answers both in quality and quantity by using the search. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back