Looking for Heavily Shielded RCA intereconnect, to shield from Radio Station
Nov 22, 2008 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

alamakazam

100+ Head-Fier
I stay very near to the Radio Station, and I am picking up radio interference from my tube amp

it has been confirmed that my tube amp is working fine

I need a very heavily shielded RCA, interconnect, any recommendation?

some interconnect that does not work
Bluejean
MIT

I DIY a belden 2 layer shielded wire, externally another shield, and ferrite bead! still some traces of intereference

btw is a darkvoice 337

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 6
just because the tube amp has been confirmed as working 'fine' does not mean that it wont be a problem. i'm assuming that the tube amp was tested offsite?? if thats the case then it may be performing within operational guidelines but those guidelines dont usually involve shielding from nearby radio stations. there is no point getting a heavily shielded cable if the amp is not heavily shielded as well. if the amp IS heavily shielded then yeah the interconnect is your next step.I know this because I use an iphone as one of my portable rigs with a pico (which is pretty well shielded; only really beaten by RSA amps IMO). I dont shield my cables other than braiding them. and I find that this shields the signal from all but the burst that happens when the iphone switches from 3G to 2G coverage. everything else is perfectly fine. of course to do a proper job of shielding you'll need to buy a cable with a foil or braided copper directional shield.

edit: by your post it sounds like your amp is still the problem

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 6
I can deduce is the rca cable, because, I had the amp placed in a bomb shelter storeroom, is definately shielded!!! no noise heard inside.

I had the rca cable stuck out of the door, there was noise

also , without rca cable there is no noise in any location...

the rca cable is acting as antenna

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by alamakazam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can deduce is the rca cable, because, I had the amp placed in a bomb shelter storeroom, is definately shielded!!! no noise heard inside.

I had the rca cable stuck out of the door, there was noise

also , without rca cable there is no noise in any location...

the rca cable is acting as antenna

ummm.... of course; because the amp was inside but the cable wasn't, that would work as an antenna. a cable always works as a sort of antenna, but if you use a directional shield away from the amp towards to source then the RF is directed tat way. your method, the way it reads proves nothing about the amp itself being shielded. but if you intend to run it from inside a bomb shelter then yes you would need a directional shield pointed away from the amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back