Looking for headphones.
Nov 4, 2012 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

NJ Hero

New Head-Fier
I'm actually looking for headphones to buy. Price range is about from $100-$200. I'm not looking for headphones for any studio or anything, I'm just looking for good headphones to listen to music on my iPod from. My friend has Solos but I'm definitely sure that there are better headphones than that for the same price. If anyone could help me out, I'd be very thankful. Oh yeah my music varies from hip hop to house. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 16
Get yourself a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II. They will mop the floor with those beats your buddy has and every way. They are gunna cost ya about 200 bucks but they are on-ear headphones similar to the solos in that regard.

Look them up. I guarantee for a first headphone you will NOT be disappointed with those.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 16
It seems like you have an affinity for bass-heavy genres. What I might recommend for you is the Sony MDR-XB700s, or maybe a more expensive pair the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. The latter is actually good for a lot of genres since it has closeable ports which allow them to have different frequency responses (ie bass heavy, flat, bass light). You also might want to try out the Denon AH-D400. Those are some really sick looking headphones and they produce a very heavy bass but also manage to maintain the other frequencies very well. They are a little bit more expensive than your price range, but if you are willing to save up a few more buck, I think that they are worth it.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 16
Thanks guys, I'd like to do some research on the ones you told me about. Agent those denons are pricey as ****, too much for me. I was wondering if Sennheiser 558 HD are good? BTW sorry if i sound like such a loser but I'm pretty new to this and don't know anything besides Apple Buds. :/

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks guys, I'd like to do some research on the ones you told me about. Agent those denons are pricey as ****, too much for me. I was wondering if Sennheiser 558 HD are good? BTW sorry if i sound like such a loser but I'm pretty new to this and don't know anything besides Apple Buds. :/

Ya they are great but they are an OPEN back headhphone. Would not be the best choice for portability. The bass impact and quantity is also not going to be suitable for the types of music you enjoy.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
Thanks guys, I'd like to do some research on the ones you told me about. Agent those denons are pricey as ****, too much for me. I was wondering if Sennheiser 558 HD are good?

Here you are sir.

The 558s aren't really good for urban music. They're more for a flat frequency response which creates a very analytical signature. I'm not saying they're bad (I think they are great), but the lack of powerful bass can leave some people in want. They're more for genres like classical, rock, pop etc. I actually have the 558s bigger cousins, the 598s, and I will tell you that in no world would you ever want them for hip hop or house. The bass is IMO slightly lacking, but for the genres I listen to (classic rock, classic country etc), that doesn't really matter because the songs don't put an emphasis on bass anyway.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 16
Look if you want a portable. the HD25 is one of the best around...

If you want a portable with serious bass capability, try the phiaton ms400. Comfy too.

If you are looking to save a few dollars and want a fullsize'd headphone that is more of a portable you could try the Philips Uptown. I have been trying a pair and they aren't as detailed as the HD25's but they are a very nice quality headphone for the $60 I paid for them at ben's outlet. Has ipod control in the cable too if you are into that. Sound fantastic for the money.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 16
Alrighty. No particular order

1. Sony MDR-XB700 ($100)
  2. Audio Technica ATH-A700x ($180)
  3. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro ($200. Great for portability.)
  4. Audio Technica ATH-MT50 ($200)
  5. Denon AH-D1100 ($200)

Those are my recommendations.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 16
Another headphone to consider, if you're into on-ears, would be the JVC HA-S500. They can compete with headphones more than twice their price, and only run about $70. You'd have to get them exported from Japan, but they are my primary headphone. (They get a bit uncomfortable if you have glasses, though.)

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #15 of 16
It's hard to go wrong with the HD25 except for comfort issues since they do clamp rather strongly, but offer some of the best isolation in their class. 

The MS400 were mentioned above which are quite nice. The Beyer COP I haven't heard but reviews seem positive and they were on sale on Amazon for $150 last I checked. The V-Moda M80 are also very good sounding headphones in their bracket. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back