Looking for headphones with thick cord
Apr 20, 2011 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

drozzy

New Head-Fier
Hello, all!

I am mostly a gamer, skype user but I also like listening to classical occasionally.

Well, my gaming Medusa 150$ headphones just broke after 1 year of life. I can only hear in one ear - and tugging on the cable intermittently kind-of fixes them.

I am tired of these crappy cables, on the headphones that  I buy in futureshop.

Are there headphones with a cable so THICK - that no matter how much I move it, it doesn't break???

My criteria is the following:
  • Comfort - I want to be able to sit in them for at least 3 hours without discomfort.
  • Durability - cables and parts have to be indestructible.
  • Price range $100 - $300
  • Microphone  (optional) - preferably good one, and not the one I have to shove inside my mouth to talk into it.
  • Isolation is slightly important, but optional. I mostly play at home where it is quite or listen to music at work.

I've recently bought SteelSeries Siberia V2 - but they are just horrible. Don't stick to my ears, and the sound is not that great even for me. I am returning for refund them today.

If you have any suggestions (or links to previous threads maybe?) - I would greatly appreciate it.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 14
I have a set of Sennheiser HD-590's that use a 2.5mm -> 3.5mm detachable cable which can be replaced very easily. Had them for 7 years and replaced the cable twice, the second time I just got a 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adapter and a regular 3.5mm cable because its pretty hard to find a 2.5mm -> 3.5mm cable even in a big city.

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 14
http://www.amazon.com/PC-360-Headset-Pro-Gaming/dp/B003DA4D2U

Pretty much a 595 with a headset.  Though this model is open, so it won't isolate at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-350-Collapsible-Microphone/dp/B0012XFDWO/ref=pd_cp_e_1

This one is fairly similar except it is closed and will isolate much (much) more.  The cords, if the same, or at least similar to those on the 595, should stand up to pretty much anything you throw at them.  They're pretty heavy duty.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 14
Grado sr225i. $200.  Nothing touches 'em for the money.  Balanced, smooth, mids not muddy, or invaded by bass or treble. Crisp presence without being harsh.  The i is for improvement over the famous sr225.

Cord insanely thick. Cannot walk around the room with these.....cord is short, but perfect for use on my Asus cm6870 uso14 computer.

Also, try breaking the habit of chewing cords.  Find an old lamp in Mom's basement, plug into wall socket in damp area, lie down, and begin gnawing.

You will have to do this procedure only once.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #11 of 14
Ultrasone Pro 550 are solid with detachable cord, they are respected headphones among gamers. 
It doesn't have a mic, the only problem. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Last post was 4/21/11, if he hasn't made up his mind yet I don't think he ever will
tongue.gif

You are right friend, i didn't pay attention to the post date. oops

Jun 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
They look great, but one reviewer insists that they are for "big" heads... and I don't think my head is that big..

My head is not "big" and the AD700 was the best headphone for gaming I have ever owned.  Comfortable, durable, and I could easily pinpoint where sounds were coming from.  Thick cable as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back