Looking for headphones with the BEST bass
Feb 4, 2013 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Authority

New Head-Fier
I recently sold my Astro A40s, which were specifically for gaming, for a new headset. It would be used for gaming but it is NOT the primary purpose. Mostly want it so i can listen to music (dubstep/trap) so good bass is reallllllllly wanted, which is the reason im getting a new headset. Used for gaming but mostly music and if it has a mic it would be great but if not i can buy a separate one. Most i will spend is about 150$ Thanks!

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 26
The Beyerdynamic DT770 is a good candidate for just awesome bass.

You might possibly need an amp (I'm assuming you use them from your computer) - I'm not sure as I'm no expert on that sort of thing.

The 250ohm version is a little over your budget at 170 on amazon (80 ohms is 199, but should be easier to drive). I'd say the gap between your 149 budget and the DT770 250 edition is worth it - the bass on those Beyers is really good. Sadly, I don't own a set but I tried them at Jaben and was sold on their use for dubstep etc. Good luck!

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 26
The 80 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 is supposedly the bassiest of the line. There's an ebay seller called cobrasonics who sells them for $150 plus shipping; the listings sell out often but they get restocked fast. I just ordered one yesterday and am excited to hear what the sound like when they arrive. The Sony XB700's are discontinued now so it will be difficult to get one. If you're using the headphones for gaming, you should take a look at Mad Lust Envy's gaming headphone thread; he mentions a lot of the popular full sized headphones in it.

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 26
I have the DT770 32 Ohms, initially I thought the bass was lacking in some bass-heavy songs (electro, hardstyle, trance, etc) but after a few days I've grown to love them and feel that they have just the right amount of QUALITY bass for me.

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 26
Sol Republic Tracks HD.

http://www.amazon.com/SOL-REPUBLIC-Tracks-On-Ear-Headphones/dp/B005OLPJ0G/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

$108bux right now even with white headband (I wish i got white, i got black...and I like them more with white).  You can find them at retailers like Bestbuy or Guitar Center for $130 + tax.

They are BEST with Dubstep/Trap.
I got them on sale from amazon for $95 just the other day.  They destroy the DT770's in terms of BASS.  I tried them both out at Guitar Center with and without my portable Fiio E11 Amp.
I would also pick up the Fiio E11 Amp too to double the bass out of the Tracks HD's.

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Accessory/dp/B004QVPGXK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360060535&sr=1-2&keywords=fiio+e11

I got it from this link and it came with an extra battery and charger for free.

Listen to the music from Helicopter Showdown:
http://soundcloud.com/helicoptershowdown/spotlight

Awesome dubstep & trap that really comes alive with this headset & amp combo.

Otherwise, out of my laptop speakers & bose..the music sounds annoying and flat with hardly any bass and vibration.  But with the Tracks HD's and the amp, the bass is so colorful, deep, and vibrant that it really makes the music come alive.

Thats my 2 cents for dubstep/trap music.

But I also think most head-fi'ers will dislike the Tracks HD's because they aren't really the greatest all around headphone in terms of clarity.  The ammount of bass they bring to the table can be overwhelming for certain audio/music choices.  But for Dubstep/Trap...its almost ideal.

Oh, and they also come with a mic and ipod/iphone controls which is another awesome feature....and they are customizable.

On a side note:  The only downside to the Tracks HD's is they get a little bit uncomfortable afters hours of use and you need to just sort of give your ears a minute to breathe...then your good to go again for a few more hours.  But SOL Republic is releasing a new around the ear headphone this month...its not out yet...but it is supposed to be their most expensive and best headset yet...at $199.  I will definitely be checking these headphones out when I get the chance to make sure they provide that same bass the Tracks HD do.  .preview link here:

http://solrepublic.com/shop/master-tracks-over-ear-headphones-gun-metal.html

SOL Republic also makes the Ultra's which retail at about $170ish?  I bought them to compare and they really lack the bass that the HD's have but they have a little more clarity.  The exchange in heavy bass for minor clarity was not worth it for me and I really liked the sound the HD's were giving over the Ultras for my dubstep/trap music.

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

[size=medium] I thought the Audio Technica ATH-M50 had some good bass from what I heard. Definately not bass heavy but great still[/size]

The M50s have weak bass from my experience, at least not enough to get a decent punch from electronic music, and it does not help that they sound boring. The HFI-580 or HFI-780 (less bass compared to the 580, but better everything else) are recommended for electronic music due to their V-shaped signature, S-logic and emphasis on bass.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:
I recently sold my Astro A40s, which were specifically for gaming, for a new headset. It would be used for gaming but it is NOT the primary purpose. Mostly want it so i can listen to music (dubstep/trap) so good bass is reallllllllly wanted, which is the reason im getting a new headset. Used for gaming but mostly music and if it has a mic it would be great but if not i can buy a separate one. Most i will spend is about 150$ Thanks!

Try to define what "good bass" means to you.

On the first page of this section of the forum, is a thread with the words: DUBSTEP and BASS and 150 dollars - where people recommend headphones. I recommended a headset but its pricier and almost the same as a DT 770.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647089/best-headphones-for-dubstep-bass-for-150

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Heya,

M-Audio Q40
Sony XB700
AudioTechnica PRO700MKII
Beyer Custom One Pro

And remember to equalize to tweak it to your liking.

Very best,

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Try to define what "good bass" means to you.

On the first page of this section of the forum, is a thread with the words: DUBSTEP and BASS and 150 dollars - where people recommend headphones. I recommended a headset but its pricier and almost the same as a DT 770.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647089/best-headphones-for-dubstep-bass-for-150

By good bass i mean deep heavy bass but still good sound quality

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:
Really, really heavily used DT880. 

You mean a heavily used 880 so he can get it for $150, or that an 880 with extensive burn-in has the bass he's looking for?

For someone looking for the headphones with the BEST bass (as the title suggests) I wouldn't recommend the 880. I think he would find them to be quite lacking in bass quantity.

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 26
+1 on the Pro 700 MKII, or the HFI-580 which have Bass quality and quantity. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back