looking for headphone with GREAT BASS, GOOD LOOKS, PORTABLE, and UNDER 100$
Nov 5, 2011 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mastapro

100+ Head-Fier
I mainly listen to house music and rap so I want a headphone with amazing bass.  It also has to look nice.  The kind of look that I like is similar to Beats or DJ headphones.  I also don't want a headphone that has a really long cord cuz i'm mainly gonna be using it for plane/bus travel.  So far I'm looking at the Koss DJ100 and the Sennheiser HD428.  Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 21
also was looking at the xb500 as well but i need to see pics of someone wearing them.  i previously owned the m50 and had to sell them because they look weird, the sides stuck out way to much and the cord was too long for public use. 

edit:  saw some threads talking about the htf600's as well.  looks like the only con is that the cord is too long though..

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 21
You should take a look at some of the headphones here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/567012/the-portable-bass-kings-the-pioneer-hdj500-vs-akg-518-le-vs-the-first-look-at-the-new-at-ws55-solid-bass

I bought the Audio Technica WS-55 after reading that thread, and they have been great thus far.  Plenty of bass, but also nice mid-range as well.  And the cord is just the right size for travel, I use them with my iPod around campus all the time.  Look for pics of the red ones in the thread, I think these are pretty great looking.  Got mine for ~$80+ on buy.com.

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
You should take a look at some of the headphones here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/567012/the-portable-bass-kings-the-pioneer-hdj500-vs-akg-518-le-vs-the-first-look-at-the-new-at-ws55-solid-bass

I bought the Audio Technica WS-55 after reading that thread, and they have been great thus far.  Plenty of bass, but also nice mid-range as well.  And the cord is just the right size for travel, I use them with my iPod around campus all the time.  Look for pics of the red ones in the thread, I think these are pretty great looking.  Got mine for ~$80+ on buy.com.

ya those ATH's look pretty nice... looks like it might bulge out the side like the m50's tho.  do u have a pic of urself wearing it?

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
ya those ATH's look pretty nice... looks like it might bulge out the side like the m50's tho.  do u have a pic of urself wearing it?

Take a look at this album from the thread too, if you haven't already: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimramk/sets/72157627892684050/.  They do bulge out somewhat, but only if you have a big head (like me...) and have to extend it.  If you have a smaller or normal size head, it doesn't look too bad. So really, it depends if you have a large skull or not.  I haven't found many headphones that don't at least stick out a little due to my head size...  I'd say try 'em out, and if you don't like the look, return them.

I'm not sure what else to recommend, other than maybe the AKG k81/k518.  Those are pretty bassy, around $50-60, but they can be tight around the head (stretching them out over some books and wearing them over time will solve that problem; I had to do that with my WS-55 and they fit perfectly now).  The Sony XB series also has lots of bass, but I'm personally not a fan of the look of those big pads.

Anyways, good luck with your search.

Nov 6, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 21
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live).
Cups barely fit around my ears.
Good size for travel headphones.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 21
Creative Aurvana Live! amazing sound and the most comfortable I have had for years. I think the go around $79. These are actually rebranded Denon 1001 with a much nicer bass.

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 21
I got the ahd-1001 which are basically the same as the CAL! and they are not portable at all.  Does not fold and has very little isolation (if any).  They are also somewhat big, definitely more circumaural than supra aural

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
I got the ahd-1001 which are basically the same as the CAL! and they are not portable at all.  Does not fold and has very little isolation (if any).  They are also somewhat big, definitely more circumaural than supra aural

ya that's what i thought.  damn i didn't think it would be this hard to find a good headphone lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back