Looking for headphone that's > / = Ultrasone Pro 750, BUT........
Jul 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wastebag

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi'ers,

I have been lurking around here during recent weeks after stumbling upon this website. I recently purchased my first pairs of higher end headphones, after using a pair of cheap $30ish Sony MDR-V150's for several years.

After a lot of research and reading on these forums and others, I decided to purchase the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. I was very impressed initially, but was unhappy about a few things. My main issue with them was their lack of portability. The cable on them is not detachable and it is very long. Since I use headphones at work and on-the-go, the cable was a major issue for me. As a result I ended up finding two stores that have demo headphone units, for customers to test out.

I ended up purchasing a second pair of headphones, this time the Ultrasone Pro 750. I was very impressed by the way they sound, and am no longer a fan of the M50 sound. In fact I am so impressed by the sound by the Ultrasone that I am considering an upgrade to the Pro 900. I also really like the length of the shorter cable, and it is detachable. I have heard that the Pro 900 mids are more present that the 750 and highs are not as ear piercing. This IMO is something that could perfect the Ultrasones as far as sound goes. Unfortunately there are some things that are bugging me about these headphones, that have deterred me from the upgrade. I think they are kind of ugly looking for their price, and they are not very comfortable to wear. I much prefer the faux leather look, and black color of the M50. Also I'm not a fan of the velvet ear pads, because they make my ears and head itchy. The M50 is a much more comfortable headphone IMO than the Ultrasone.

So as you can see I am in a bit of dilemma, and would like some help/recommendations for yet another pair of headphones. I am looking for something that sounds as good as or better than Ultrasone Pro 750, maybe even the Pro 900. But I want it to be as comfortable or better than the Audio Technica M50. Something that is a good looking or at least decent looking headphone like the M50. And the cable needs to be a shorter length and detachable. Headphones with turning earcups like the M50 are preferred as well as these are going to be for portable/on-the-go use.

I hope I am not asking for something too complicated, and I would really appreciate some help.
Thanks!!!

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi!

How many hours of playing time do your Pro750 have? I liked them from the start but must admit that hey grew on me tremendously after a few days of heavy usage. The general consensus seems to be that they get better after burn-in (playing for 50+ hours).

I am not so sure if burn-in is psychological or physical but especially with this headphone, I really liked it so much more after having some playing time on them.

I though of upgrading before, but figured that there is nothing missing now anymore. The Pro750 are here to stay with me :wink:

Jul 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 4
My Pro 750 have maybe 50 or 60 hours of burn in so far. That is how much I've been using them. They definitely sound better to me now than when I first bought them. I think they sound amazing and I am very happy with their sound. Yes there are a few small gripes I have with their sound, and from what I have read these two issues don't exist in the Pro 900. But this isn't my main issue with them, as I am very impressed with their sound. I just wish they were physically a lot more like my M50 headphone.

I don't find the Ultrasone's to be very comfortable to wear, especially compared to how comfy my M50 is. I don't like the velvet cushion on the headband of the Ultrasone's. And I much prefer the feel of the faux leather ear cups on over the velvet ones due to itchyness. Also I just think the Ultrasones are kinda uglyish and the M50 is beautiful LOL.

Heres what I'm looking for in a headphone:

- Sound as good or better than Ultrasone Pro 750 / 900
- Similar or better comfort / material as Audio Technica M50
- Detachable cable that is not long, and good for portable on-the-go usage
- Leather or faux leather ear cups
- Generally nice looking headphones, not ugly
- Headphone that will stay on your head
- Foldable headphone
- Ear cups that turn like on DJ headphones (like Audio Technica M50)

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
My Pro 750 have maybe 50 or 60 hours of burn in so far. That is how much I've been using them. They definitely sound better to me now than when I first bought them. I think they sound amazing and I am very happy with their sound. Yes there are a few small gripes I have with their sound, and from what I have read these two issues don't exist in the Pro 900. But this isn't my main issue with them, as I am very impressed with their sound. I just wish they were physically a lot more like my M50 headphone.

I don't find the Ultrasone's to be very comfortable to wear, especially compared to how comfy my M50 is. I don't like the velvet cushion on the headband of the Ultrasone's. And I much prefer the feel of the faux leather ear cups on over the velvet ones due to itchyness. Also I just think the Ultrasones are kinda uglyish and the M50 is beautiful LOL.

Heres what I'm looking for in a headphone:

- Sound as good or better than Ultrasone Pro 750 / 900
- Similar or better comfort / material as Audio Technica M50
- Detachable cable that is not long, and good for portable on-the-go usage
- Leather or faux leather ear cups
- Generally nice looking headphones, not ugly
- Headphone that will stay on your head
- Foldable headphone
- Ear cups that turn like on DJ headphones (like Audio Technica M50)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back